Fundament

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
peterjack

Fundament

#1 Post by peterjack »

I rediscovered Nightlife the other day and was thinking what a dark album it is.
It really is My Drugs Hell by Neil Tennant.

Except for New York City Boy, which should have been a b-side!!!!

Nightlife is almost like a drink/drugs cycle over 24 hours...

Out in a club high as a kite on drugs courtesy of your drug-dealing boyfriend (who's been messing you around a bit):
For Your Own Good
Closer To Heaven

telys

Re: Fundament

#2 Post by telys »

Great to hear. I've been trying for years to figure out a better Nightlife playlist or concept, replacing the weaker tracks with B-sides etc. This gave me new ideas. Still can't stand In Denial and The Only One though, they wouldn't even work as instrumentals like Your Early Stuff and Ego Music.
----
You've got me all wrong

glennjridge

#3 Post by glennjridge »

I have no idea how "the only one' made it past demo stage and onto nightlife. its so dreary. I read they said they were trying to do a boy band slow jam type song, but it sounds to me like a example of the king had no clothes on and no one will tell him. theres no doubt in my mind the dudes in the control room during the recording would excuse themsleves to go to the snack vending machine and be like "shit that tune is terrible". should we tell them? "hell no, I need the money."

jasonjohn

#4 Post by jasonjohn »

Quite like Only One. Fits perfectly along side Boy Strange and later Footsteps.

NYCity I don't mind either.... they all fit the "party party" vibe, with the protagonist struggling to convert his one night stands into anything more.

Niall

#5 Post by Niall »

jasonjohn wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 8:09 am Quite like Only One. Fits perfectly along side Boy Strange and later Footsteps.

NYCity I don't mind either.... they all fit the "party party" vibe, with the protagonist struggling to convert his one night stands into anything more.
I agree. I think it's sweet and I like the music. We may be the only ones.
Evertonians are born not manufactured.
We do not choose; we are chosen.
Those who understand need no explanation.
Those that don't understand don't matter.

Nervously

#6 Post by Nervously »

Niall wrote: Thu 03 Aug 2017, 4:04 pm
jasonjohn wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 8:09 am Quite like Only One. Fits perfectly along side Boy Strange and later Footsteps.

I agree. I think it's sweet and I like the music. We may be the only ones.
No! It's always been one of the standout songs on Nightlife for me. Beautiful song.

I think it would get more plaudits if it had the usual Tennant sophisticated lyrics. (Boy Strange has the opposite problem- sophisticated lyrics present and correct, but an unsatisfying tune.)

I also like Footsteps a lot.

Roundhead General

#7 Post by Roundhead General »

I love the demo of "The Only One" but felt a lot of the sentiment was lost in the over production of the album version. Still like it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

NikacP0kac

#8 Post by NikacP0kac »

Roundhead General wrote: Thu 03 Aug 2017, 5:20 pm I love the demo of "The Only One" but felt a lot of the sentiment was lost in the over production of the album version. Still like it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's the one titled 1998 demo on YouTube, then...what a rip-off of the rhythm track of Song For Europe by Dave Gahan and John Taylor (for a Roxy Music tribute).

Otherwise, an interesting demo, gives another perspective on the song a bit.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

MikeyC

#9 Post by MikeyC »

Hmmm, the title of this thread is "Fundament". We know "Fundamentalism" was the bonus disc with the main album. Is "Fundament" just half the album?? :)