Inner Sanctum Carl Craig Remix

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Luke Colorado

Re: Inner Sanctum Carl Craig Remix

#16 Post by Luke Colorado » Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:01 pm

It's leaked. Not sure if it's just a rip from the stream yet...
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

redsock

#17 Post by redsock » Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm

It's a crock of repetitive sh1t is what it is. Sounds like one of those overdubbed mixes you used to get from those dreadful would be mixers like St Ken in the early 2000's. :(

Paulo

#18 Post by Paulo » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 12:28 am

I've only listened to it once but I quite liked it.

I like that Neil's vocals seem a lot clearer.

Ulrich

#19 Post by Ulrich » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 12:31 am

I like it, but it's sold out. Why????? Just make more copies?????

panda magic

#20 Post by panda magic » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 1:03 am

is it me or is the vocal just *slightly* out of sync with the beat?

NikacP0kac

#21 Post by NikacP0kac » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 1:19 am

panda magic wrote:is it me or is the vocal just *slightly* out of sync with the beat?
More than slightly, but this is my only gripe with the remix (although quite a big one, because I can't quite enjoy the vocal parts while my brain is having a stroke from the out of sync problems).
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Flaffer

#22 Post by Flaffer » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 1:24 am

Very good mix. Whenever new remixes come out the most common complaints are "just wish for an old fashioned extended mix" and "this has nothing in common, or uses nothing, from the original". This mix satiates both those gripes and still people moan. As someone who has quite a lot of Carl Craig stuff his style is normally quite minmal-ish and works on the basis of a long track with an ongoing groove and long build. If you want clichéd builds and drops go and listen to Tiesto et al. The PSB are well aware of Carl Craig's style, funnily enough that may be why they have approached him for years
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Pod

#23 Post by Pod » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 1:37 am

Flaffer wrote:Very good mix. Whenever new remixes come out the most common complaints are "just wish for an old fashioned extended mix" and "this has nothing in common, or uses nothing, from the original". This mix satiates both those gripes and still people moan. As someone who has quite a lot of Carl Craig stuff his style is normally quite minmal-ish and works on the basis of a long track with an ongoing groove and long build. If you want clichéd builds and drops go and listen to Tiesto et al. The PSB are well aware of Carl Craig's style, funnily enough that may be why they have approached him for years
Spot on...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Zog

#24 Post by Zog » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 2:50 am

Pod wrote:
Flaffer wrote:Very good mix. Whenever new remixes come out the most common complaints are "just wish for an old fashioned extended mix" and "this has nothing in common, or uses nothing, from the original". This mix satiates both those gripes and still people moan. As someone who has quite a lot of Carl Craig stuff his style is normally quite minmal-ish and works on the basis of a long track with an ongoing groove and long build. If you want clichéd builds and drops go and listen to Tiesto et al. The PSB are well aware of Carl Craig's style, funnily enough that may be why they have approached him for years
Spot on...
To clarify (and I know you didn't mention me by name), but I am NOT and never have been one of those people who "moan and complain" at various styles of remixing, even those that often don't have much in common with the original. My complaint about the Carl Craig remix is that it strikes me as somewhat mediocre by his standard. In fact a bit tame to my ears. I'm certainly glad to have it. But, I strongly feel that a mixer of Craig's calibre could have done more with this track.

My personal assessment is about this remix ONLY, and NOT about other PSB remixes in general. To say that "people bitch and moan" and when they get a track that is closer to the original, still complain... strikes me as a gross over-generalization (and a common debate fallacy). I have been on this board since 2003, and I challenge anyone to find a history of me bitching and moaning about remixes in general. The truth is that I appreciate many different styles, and have repeated, until I'm blue in the face (my face is usually orange), about the value of having lots of remixes that are intended for the club, instead of "easy listening".

Someone here mentioned that Craig's remix will sound great in a particular Berlin club. I couldn't agree more. I'm sure it will sound pretty good. But my criticism, or at least gut reaction is that a mixer/producer of Craig's stature could have pushed "Inner Sanctum" over the top. However what we have (from what I hear) is a decent mix. And certainty one I am grateful to have. I am not complaining that we have this new mix! I am simply giving my opinion about it.

So let me be clear: the mix isn't bad at all, it's just that I feel that it could have been superb. And, in my opinion, it falls short of that (admittedly high) mark.

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

pepesilva

#25 Post by pepesilva » Mon 11 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

This can't be real. is totally out of sync

raggatwin

#26 Post by raggatwin » Mon 11 Jul 2016, 6:38 pm

Agreed. I'm not a massive fan of the mix...For me it's alright..but many people on his forum are just not into dance music so don't like the mixes...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

JSDOUVRES

#27 Post by JSDOUVRES » Mon 11 Jul 2016, 7:41 pm

It's absolute dross, I like dance music but not this kind of underground techno crap.
Random beats and vocals that all sound out of sync and it just ruins what was an excellent song and is a wasted opportunity of what could have been an excellent release, just like the MK remix of Pop Kids.
I don't care if it is apparently "cool" and "fashionable" to like this kind of thing, that is just pretencious bollocks and this is the kind of music I avoid and unfortunately the type of stuff that has become more popular over the years which is a big shame and has ruined what was an excellent Dance/Trance music scene. I don't understand how anybody could listen to this type of stuff I really don't and it is clear that most fans here feel the same except a few but looking at some of them that speaks for itself really.
Dull, souless, techno music.
Could and should have been so much better.

Luke Colorado

#28 Post by Luke Colorado » Mon 11 Jul 2016, 7:51 pm

JSBOUVRES - I tend to agree... it often does seem like anything with melody is considered lame by the taste makers; it's safe to praise something minimal and easy to dismiss something melodic as OTT or cheesy. That said, I think it's more of a reaction to the horrible Trance and EDM of that ushered in the 21st century than pure pretension.

1993-2001 was peak dance music, I'm afraid.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

retrofuturist

#29 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 3:44 am

This mix does nothing for me. It sounds like a fan-made extended mix you might find floating around the Internet.

jules

#30 Post by jules » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 4:18 am

The remix sounds cheap, and boring as hell. Awful.