If they were not gay

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ClyClyisBack

Re: If they were not gay

#16 Post by ClyClyisBack » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:56 pm

Undertaker wrote:The point is actually a good one but probably worded badly lol.

I actually thought the post was going to be about how being gay has made them bigger as times have changed. It certainly affected their popularity for a time from 1994 to probably Nightlife. No doubt people do stop buying records based on what they see, rather than what they hear. Since Fundamental, they have become a national institution. Grown old gracefully and are massively popular again. In a way, they got back their reputation. Obviously it doesnt really bother us but it certainly did some. Nightlife was kinda 'in your face' and probably put people off. Lets be honest, New Yoek City Boy on TotP's was awful.

As for the original question, there is not a chance they'd be releasing three albums in 4 years if they were married with kids. They'd be mowing the lawn etc. The original question is a bit provocative but the point is actually a good one.

Maybe because they love what they do so much, they prefer it over the married life anyway. I'm sure they arent lonely people. Just very private. Which is how it should be.
Well gay, bi, curious, trangenders and straight people have to mow their lawn if they have a house. Grass grows everywhere ! In the case of Neil and Chris, I think they probably hire somebody to do the work or maybe not I don't know...
I LOVE ENGLISH COCUMBERS !!!

Gabby

#17 Post by Gabby » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 1:49 pm

Yeah, I think it's an interesting observation, worded poorly, but I think for me what came out most in the recent radio documentary was they just have this rock solid friendship that even when it gets close to an argument, they find a way to come to an agreement without it ever getting to something worse.

Gay or straight, married with kids or not, that sort of friendship is the foundation that is lasting.

PopArt

#18 Post by PopArt » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

I think it's a huge part of who they are as people and therefore as artists (as it is for any artist who is gay, straight etc etc.) And to speculate about what they would be like if they weren't gay is pretty difficult because of that. So many of their reference points are influenced by it from lyrics and collaborations to, certainly in the 1980's at least, musical style.

But the point about friendship is really key. It's the magic ingredient that has made PSB last for so long. They have an incredible amount of respect for one anothers musical abilities- partly because they compliment each other so well. And both clearly think they would be lesser without the other. Plus they genuinely seem to like one another as people. Hence the fact that they spend time with each other even when they aren't working.
I'm always waiting...

DJ Pat

#19 Post by DJ Pat » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:44 pm

One of the most absurd discussions I've real on this forum for years
Live synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.
https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

PETHEAD72

#20 Post by PETHEAD72 » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 6:39 pm

I think this is quite an interesting topic,it is true that many people's lives change after marriage and more so when children come along.who knows maybe their commitment to their work might not have been as solid and as consistent as it has been?,regardless of their sexuality we all love them to bits for their ability to produce fabulous music,and their image is always something that has made me feel that these guys are just so unique.

As a muslim and heterosexual myself,homosexuality is severely forbidden in islam,but it has never made me think any differently of neil and chris as i just love their music so much and how they set themselves apart from any other artist in terms of creativity and imagination.
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Hamlet

#21 Post by Hamlet » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 6:57 pm

Neil is never gay in my eyes. Its an image to sold more Tickets/Cds cause they have a big Gay Fanbase Worldwide and I would do the same in fact to stay popular. I can tell you a short story in Hyatt Hotel in Cologne in 2009 where we stayed at same time there and there was a Situation where I don't believe anymore he is gay but It's not important for me. He seems to be a sensitive maybe metrosexual Man who like this gay attitude but loves brunettes Woman. Chris could be gay for real I think.

y3potential

#22 Post by y3potential » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 8:15 pm

Hamlet wrote:Neil is never gay in my eyes. Its an image to sold more Tickets/Cds cause they have a big Gay Fanbase Worldwide and I would do the same in fact to stay popular. I can tell you a short story in Hyatt Hotel in Cologne in 2009 where we stayed at same time there and there was a Situation where I don't believe anymore he is gay but It's not important for me. He seems to be a sensitive maybe metrosexual Man who like this gay attitude but loves brunettes Woman. Chris could be gay for real I think.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

Hamlet

#23 Post by Hamlet » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 8:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
y3potential wrote:
Hamlet wrote:Neil is never gay in my eyes. Its an image to sold more Tickets/Cds cause they have a big Gay Fanbase Worldwide and I would do the same in fact to stay popular. I can tell you a short story in Hyatt Hotel in Cologne in 2009 where we stayed at same time there and there was a Situation where I don't believe anymore he is gay but It's not important for me. He seems to be a sensitive maybe metrosexual Man who like this gay attitude but loves brunettes Woman. Chris could be gay for real I think.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

ClyClyisBack

#24 Post by ClyClyisBack » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 11:12 pm

Hamlet wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
y3potential wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I LOVE ENGLISH COCUMBERS !!!

glennjridge

#25 Post by glennjridge » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 12:24 am

whatever the reason they are so productive, I thank god they are and we all are lucky. do you know how many bands routinely go 6 -10 years between releases? neil and chris are so prolific that not only do they give us albums in a blazingly short time frame....when you count their B-sides....its as if we get almost... 2 albums. this is why it irritates me so much when whatever poster decides this or the next CD is their last. these guys love the process of writing and recording too much to put a final cap on it.

bohemians.

#26 Post by bohemians. » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:25 am

oh go on and tell us the story how Neil was f*** "women" in public in Cologne 2009! Are you sure it mayby was men dressed up as women too..unless you are yourself brunette woMEN. I think Neil did mention some crazzy female fan from Germany!
Neil is /..used to be/ extreemly ..nice to his females fans (because he is kind and sweet, but that is ALL.../unfortunatelly.
Oh Jesus he looks SO gay!/..but there were few moments when he can put straight face, ..but it doesn t mean a thing..

DYSMC2009

#27 Post by DYSMC2009 » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:21 am

Not being married and having kids probably helps. We also have to consider that they are both college educated intellectuals. Neil also was a professional journalist and editor previously. As far as we are aware, they have not gotten involved in drugs. So Neil at least already had a very well established work ethic in his career as a journalist prior to the formation of the band, so I am sure that work ethic and productivity did not abate once he became Neil the pop star. I am sure he probably has had some influence on Chris.

No Muscle Mary

#28 Post by No Muscle Mary » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 11:38 am

So many assumptions on this thread, it's hilarious.
Churlicious

Greendrake

#29 Post by Greendrake » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm

DYSMC2009 wrote:I believe Chris has mentioned it in the press on a couple occasions, such as a German magazine publication. I don't think that is too important.
Any references? I'm not saying I don't believe it but it would be very interesting to see what exactly he said.

daveid

#30 Post by daveid » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 12:25 pm

I can see you are planning to be the drive-through anarchist of this forum.

You think Neil is in deep-cover do you? It reminds me of this scene from Black Adder:

Edmund: Sir, the type of women currently favoured in France are toothless
crones who just cackle insanely.
Prince: Oh, ignore that -- they're just playing hard-to-get.
Edmund: ...by removing all their teeth, going mad and aging forty years?
Prince: That's right -- the little teasers!