SAW Tennant & Lowe

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

Re: SAW Tennant & Lowe

#46 Post by telys »

Future Lover wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 1:04 pm Seek treatment.
Good for you. Happy to hear. You really need it. My best regards and hopes for a speedy recovery. Welcome back to PSB fandom once you're healed and well.
----
You've got me all wrong

NotInvisible

#47 Post by NotInvisible »

telys wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 1:03 pmYes, and you're one of them. Sadly infecting my beloved PSB forum with "conspiracy nut"-rants ripe with homophobia, condemning other people's sexuality and choice of lifestyle. There seems to be no PSB fandom left in you. New Zealand must be psychlogical nightmare.
For the love of god, just stop. It's beyond pathetic now.

retrofuturist

#48 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
telys wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 1:03 pm I love Pet Shop Boys, I love anybody who's straight or gay or whatever they want to be, I love this forum.
Wonderful. :clap:

And likewise here...

As for SAW, they were good at what they did, but the wheels fell of once people tired of their formula, and they didn't know what to do next. Pet Shop Boys have been far more adaptable over the years, even if from 1994 or so onwards, they no longer hit the mark each and every time.

Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Fri 21 May 2021, 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Waffleon

#49 Post by Waffleon »

Better the Devil You Know - right up there.

Don't forget Hazel Dean too.

telys

#50 Post by telys »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri 21 May 2021, 12:01 am Greetings,
telys wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 1:03 pm I love Pet Shop Boys, I love anybody who's straight or gay or whatever they want to be, I love this forum.
Wonderful. :clap:

And likewise here...

As for SAW, they were good at what they did, but the wheels fell of once people tired of their formula, and they didn't know what to do next. Pet Shop Boys have been far more adaptable over the years, even if from 1994 or so onwards, they no longer hit the mark each and every time.

Retro. :)
Yeah but N&C are on another artistic level. I wonder when it was obvious that they were another breed when compared to other 80's band. And I don't mean stylistically/appearance but musically. Was it the Liza record? Behaviour? Left to my own devices? or something later?
Regarding other bands it's sometimes more obvious. When U2 released Achtung Baby it was clear that they placed themselves above the zeitgeist. I guess Behaviour, as has been discussed befoer, was N&C's longevity album.
----
You've got me all wrong

PopKid78

#51 Post by PopKid78 »

At the time, being a young music snob, I hated everything about SAW, but over the years I started to appreciate that they really did bring out some great pop songs. Yes there was a lack of quality control, but on their day, they made making a hit record, look easy. If a lot of these songs were Motown records, people would be calling these singles works of genius.
Anyway off the top of my head, here’s my favourite SAW singles

1) Better the Devil You Know
2) Love in the First Degree
3) This Time I Know It's for Real
4) The Harder I Try
5) Happenin' All Over Again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TallThinMan

#52 Post by TallThinMan »

The Princess and Mel & Kim S/A/W records are underrated I feel.

leesmapman

#53 Post by leesmapman »

PopKid78 wrote: they made making a hit record, look easy.
That's because they basically released the same song every time.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

joe stalin

#54 Post by joe stalin »

Synthrobot wrote: Sun 16 May 2021, 10:08 am
popfreak wrote: Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm Always on my mind is probably their closest sounding SAW track.
Don't forget Phil Harding and Ian Curnow produced Always On My Mind/In My House on Introspective.
They also produced I’m not scared. In my humble opinion, in the top 5 PSB tracks of all time. The song AND the production are just spot on. If the boys ever did accept the challenge to produce the next U.K. Eurovision entry, I’d love for Harding and Curnow to produce it. It would definitely get more than 1point ;-)

TwizzleUK

#55 Post by TwizzleUK »

joe stalin wrote: Fri 28 May 2021, 12:47 pm
popfreak wrote: Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm Always on my mind is probably their closest sounding SAW track.
Don't forget Phil Harding and Ian Curnow produced Always On My Mind/In My House on Introspective.
They also produced I’m not scared. In my humble opinion, in the top 5 PSB tracks of all time. The song AND the production are just spot on. If the boys ever did accept the challenge to produce the next U.K. Eurovision entry, I’d love for Harding and Curnow to produce it. It would definitely get more than 1point ;-)
Did they produce the Eight Wonder version or the PSB version?

domino

#56 Post by domino »

TwizzleUK wrote: Fri 28 May 2021, 7:35 pm
joe stalin wrote: Fri 28 May 2021, 12:47 pm

Did they produce the Eight Wonder version or the PSB version?
The PSB version was produced by PSB and David Jacob while the Eighth Wonder version was produced by PSB and Phil Harding.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.