SAW Tennant & Lowe

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Actually

SAW Tennant & Lowe

#1 Post by Actually »

Been listening to a lot of Stock Aitken & Waterman instrumentals and to look back and to see them rely so much on computer programming & sequencing, my question is this ;
What would a collaboration between Pet Shop Boys & the "Hit" team had soundedlike ?
Also I think it was a missed opportunity for the boys to have worked with disco diva Donna Summer !
And how about, still possible, to work with Georgio Moroder ?
Am I sounding to retro ??
I'm too weak to be strong

leesmapman

Re: SAW Tennant & Lowe

#2 Post by leesmapman »

SAW is the reason people think bad of the 80s.

Sandy Shaw

#3 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Actually wrote:Been listening to a lot of Stock Aitken & Waterman instrumentals and to look back and to see them rely so much on computer programming & sequencing, my question is this ;
What would a collaboration between Pet Shop Boys & the "Hit" team had soundedlike ?
Also I think it was a missed opportunity for the boys to have worked with disco diva Donna Summer !
And how about, still possible, to work with Georgio Moroder ?
Am I sounding to retro ??
It would have sounded a bit like I'm not scared by Eighth Wonder.
What's for supper?

jasonjohn

#4 Post by jasonjohn »

Wasn't some Very tracks deliberately aiming for SAW popness?

jasonjohn

#5 Post by jasonjohn »

It's funny.

SAW had a massive 3 years at the end of the 80s.

Once the 90s hit, there was grunge and dance music became a bit more techno.

So SAW faded away over time.

But PSB released Very as a REPLY to the new wave of grunge and techno.... as in, they were doing what SAW were fading away with.

In some ways I'm glad PSB didn't work with SAW. PSB are their own production force, and their music holds up or fails under their own banner and because of that it survives. If they worked with SAW, it would dilute them.

(That's not to say I don't like SAW, just that, short of a monster-monster hit, I see no point in a collaboration.)

Waffleon

#6 Post by Waffleon »

I see Yes as the noughties equivalent of a SAW collaboration.

S-sense

#7 Post by S-sense »

If i remember correctly, PSB approached SAW to Remix or produce (?) It's a sin.
But they refused to do so, because they did not like the song.

Correct me, if ii mixed some facts up.

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

SAW split up, they'd have to go to Mike Stock if they wanted to collaborate. (Though Pete Waterman is still active and may be able to be summoned)
Mike still has the same sound, see this video from a month ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDxs5fr34w
Georgio Moroder is still active and collaborating with other artists aswell.
So it's possible.

I'd like it if PSB collaborated with SAW, but I believe they've already had a big influence on PSB so it may not sound too different from previous tracks.
jasonjohn wrote: In some ways I'm glad PSB didn't work with SAW. PSB are their own production force, and their music holds up or fails under their own banner and because of that it survives. If they worked with SAW, it would dilute them.
What if it's only a couple songs?

Eldritch

#9 Post by Eldritch »

Waffleon wrote:I see Yes as the noughties equivalent of a SAW collaboration.
That is very true. And it's also perhaps why I consider Yes to be their most disposable album of this millennium. Love Etc. was a great single and The Way It Used To Be a PSB classic, but as a whole it's a quite vapid and forgettable affair.

With the exception of two or three singles, SAW spurned out horrible bilge which sounded dated even before the eighties ended.
Click click drone

raggatwin

#10 Post by raggatwin »

Phil harding remixes were the closest they got imo, I'm glad they didn't go further and actually work with PWL. I wouldn't go as far as to say all of their tunes were crap but they were clearly built around 3 or 4 elements that, as Eldritch wrote, dated them even before the 80s had ended.
Last edited by raggatwin on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

raggatwin

#11 Post by raggatwin »

jasonjohn wrote:It's funny.

SAW had a massive 3 years at the end of the 80s.

Once the 90s hit, there was grunge and dance music became a bit more techno.

So SAW faded away over time.

But PSB released Very as a REPLY to the new wave of grunge and techno.... as in, they were doing what SAW were fading away with.

In some ways I'm glad PSB didn't work with SAW. PSB are their own production force, and their music holds up or fails under their own banner and because of that it survives. If they worked with SAW, it would dilute them.

(That's not to say I don't like SAW, just that, short of a monster-monster hit, I see no point in a collaboration.)

I don't see Very as a reaction to the techno of the early 90s, I see it as an embrace of the kind of head rush hardcore that Chris loved so much, the bleeps, the breaks and the space within those tunes.

For me a PWL and PSB Collaboration would have sounded like Requiem by London Boys.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

davee

#12 Post by davee »

I think "Was it worth it?" is their most-like-SAW track, IMHO.

I remember reading also that the chord change in "Being boring" (going up a semitone at the start of the chorus) was described by Neil as "being like SAW", but obviously the style of that song is not SAW at all.

Tom Angel

#13 Post by Tom Angel »

Phil Harding came from SAW so his remixes probably were the closest they came to working with SAW
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Nickname

#14 Post by Nickname »

raggatwin wrote:Phil harding remixes were the closest they got imo, I'm glad they didn't go further and actually work with PWL. I wouldn't go as far as to say all of their tunes were crap but they were clearly built around 3 or 4 elements that, as Eldritch wrote, dated them even before the 80s had ended.
By the way, I was listening to a remix from Phil Harding today, the song "Hot Girl" by Sabrina (listen to it, it's good and it reminds the remix from "It's a sin", because of the whippings):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TNYPCYjEM4

Talking about Sabrina, it's funny because everybody remembers the song "Boys, boys, boys" (at least here in Spain) but the thing is she made a perfomance with the song "Hot Girl" in a popular Spanish TV show at the end of the year and the beginning of 1987/1988.

And well, E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y in Spain remembers that, in fact is one of the finnest moments of our Spanish TV history. Take a look at it:

MikeyC

#15 Post by MikeyC »

Matt Pop and Pete Hammond continue on with the "SAW sound" to this day, as evidenced by some Kylie remixes they've done.