Heart: ¿vocals from Pavarotti?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

#1 Post by Nickname »

Pet Shop Boys ‏@petshopboys 4 min

A few 'Heart' facts - the single reached #1 in the @officialcharts, was going to be offered to @Madonna and features vocals from Pavarotti.

NikacP0kac

Re: Heart: ¿vocals from Pavarotti?

#2 Post by NikacP0kac »

On the commentary of the live Pet Shop Boys DVD Cubism, Tennant reveals that the "uh uh oh oh uh" refrain which repeats throughout the song features the vocals of himself, Pavarotti and Wendy Smith (of Prefab Sprout).
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Danger

#3 Post by Danger »

NikacP0kac wrote:On the commentary of the live Pet Shop Boys DVD Cubism, Tennant reveals that the "uh uh oh oh uh" refrain which repeats throughout the song features the vocals of himself, Pavarotti and Wendy Smith (of Prefab Sprout).
Thanks for the infos, before the today tweet from the Boys I totally ignored this collaboration.

Sandy Shaw

#4 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Chris has remixed Fat Les and Neil has sung with Fat Lucy (Pavarotti)! Of course Luciano gets a mention in "The Theatre" too.
What's for supper?

Hillbilly

#5 Post by Hillbilly »

NikacP0kac wrote:On the commentary of the live Pet Shop Boys DVD Cubism, Tennant reveals that the "uh uh oh oh uh" refrain which repeats throughout the song features the vocals of himself, Pavarotti and Wendy Smith (of Prefab Sprout).
What? That was a real surprise! You really don't expect Pavarotti to be in there! :shock:

NikacP0kac

#6 Post by NikacP0kac »

That's at least what wikipedia says, never watched the Cubism DVD with commentary.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

jasonjohn

#7 Post by jasonjohn »

I'd dearly love someone to deconstruct that sound!

Someone mentioned that riff combined with that particular sample is what makes the song. I half agree with that. But think the other half is the simplicity of Neils lyrics and his articulation; it's quite a pure song.

minimal

#8 Post by minimal »

NikacP0kac wrote: Sun 23 Mar 2014, 1:44 am That's at least what wikipedia says, never watched the Cubism DVD with commentary.
Bit odd really that there's a PSB commentary for Cubism when there isn't for ICHH. Totally forgot about it and clearly never watched it.

m+

daveid

#9 Post by daveid »

I've still never seen Cubism. Must buy it some time.

Dog

#10 Post by Dog »

The riff in this remix of London Grammar reminds me of Heart:

https://open.spotify.com/track/37v5iEA7 ... uNBzKnQg9A
Woof.

TallThinMan

#11 Post by TallThinMan »

I remember they start to talk about this sample on the Actually interview picture disc, but then think better of it so they don't get sued!

Gabby

#12 Post by Gabby »

daveid wrote: Fri 14 May 2021, 8:13 am I've still never seen Cubism. Must buy it some time.
I'm increasingly guilty of buying PSB DVD's and never watching them.

God only knows when Discovery will get it's first spin from me.

Maybe a PSB concert binge watch is in my future?

telys

#13 Post by telys »

daveid wrote: Fri 14 May 2021, 8:13 am I've still never seen Cubism. Must buy it some time.
One of their best concerts/tours. Great versions, great selection of tracks, it has an edge to it, a message. The finale is cool as well. N&C leave the stage and the backing singers are left finishing the concert with an ad-lib medley of PSB songs to a great beat. The male backing singers are really cool too.
The Pandemonium tour was more stiff. Electric/Super too robotic.
----
You've got me all wrong

glennjridge

#14 Post by glennjridge »

while I am not a huge fan of madonna, I would have to say heart is tailor made for her. its totally the type of tune she would do, and do really good in the 80's.