The Boys need a better proofreader!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Sandy Shaw

The Boys need a better proofreader!

#1 Post by Sandy Shaw »

I do not wish to be negative in such exciting times, but the phrase from the article on the iTunes release, 'it's release date' is bad grammar, and I am certain, just a slip from the person who wrote the piece. This slip, (or possibly a lack of awareness of the rules and reasons behind apostrophes), is sometimes referred to as 'Greengrocers' apostrophe' as in a handwritten sign for 'Apple's' (sic). Please don't go trawling though other threads on this board to find examples of my bad English and spelling though! I have to confess editing this post several times just to tidy up my language and make 'proofreader' into one word!
http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammar ... ip-its.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe
It is also understandable that Neil called the recent QEH concert 'Time and Chance' even though it was actually called 'Music and Chance' in his text, but again, this could be corrected by someone on the OS.
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What's for supper?

Posh Boy

Re: The OS needs a proof reader!

#2 Post by Posh Boy »

Hear, hear.
"Your boring face I love it"

Sandy Shaw

Re: The OS needs a proofreader!

#3 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Hear hear or Hear Say!
From Wiki:

The British pop group Hear'Say famously made unconventional use of an apostrophe in its name. Truss comments that "the naming of Hear'Say in 2001 was [...] a significant milestone on the road to punctuation anarchy".[46] Dexys Midnight Runners, on the other hand, omit the apostrophe.
What's for supper?

Dipso

#4 Post by Dipso »

You opened a new thread about a wayward apostrophe?! :P

Doesn't Neil usually update the official site? It's just a little typo.
Prick up your ears.

Fugitive1979

#5 Post by Fugitive1979 »

Dipso wrote:Doesn't Neil usually update the official site? It's just a little typo.
Plus, he's maybe nursing a sore head today. 8)
:| :o

Sandy Shaw

#6 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Yes Dipso, a new thread (which covers at present two slips!), because trawling though all the new threads about the new release is quite time consuming and I thought I would have a slightly different approach and a bit of fun pointing out the slip! ! I don't wish to get too precious about it, It's just that the Boys have been known for their attention to detail and their literary references. The apostrophe may have even crept in from a pre-existing statement from iTunes about the digital package. :|

As you say though Fugitive, it could be down to post-champagne fuzziness. I have a little of that myself today! :D
What's for supper?

Sandy Shaw

Re: The Boys need a better proofreader!

#7 Post by Sandy Shaw »

According to the Daily Mail CD, All songs written by Tennant / Lowe... except What have I done to deserve this? written by
Tennant / Lowe/ Willis.

Someone has forgotten that Go West needs credits too! Belolo /Morali/ Willis / Tennant / Lowe
What's for supper?

DazzerUKUK

#8 Post by DazzerUKUK »

PSB also claimed writing credit for 'Losing my mind' as well :oops:
And you say you never believed in luck

Sandy Shaw

#9 Post by Sandy Shaw »

DazzerUKUK wrote:PSB also claimed writing credit for 'Losing my mind' as well :oops:
On which release?

I have spotted another error on this free CD. it says Brian Higgin not Brian Higgins. It just seems as if there was someone involved in putting this together who didn't really care. It just seems crazy when there is the whole thing about their song titles going into lower case after the first word which has been discussed many times. The sleeves always seem to get that right!

If Neil and Chris would like to offer me a job in quality control, I am available!
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Wed 11 Mar 2009, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?

DazzerUKUK

#10 Post by DazzerUKUK »

Further listening version I think......!
And you say you never believed in luck

Zog

#11 Post by Zog »

Sandy Shaw wrote:I do not wish to be negative in such exciting times, but the phrase from the article on the iTunes release, 'it's release date' is bad grammar, and I am certain, just a slip from the person who wrote the piece. This slip, (or possibly a lack of awareness of the rules and reasons behind apostrophes), is sometimes referred to as 'Greengrocers' apostrophe' as in a handwritten sign for 'Apple's' (sic). Please don't go trawling though other threads on this board to find examples of my bad English and spelling though! I have to confess editing this post several times just to tidy up my language and make 'proofreader' into one word!
http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammar ... ip-its.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe
It is also understandable that Neil called the recent QEH concert 'Time and Chance' even though it was actually called 'Music and Chance' in his text, but again, this could be corrected by someone on the OS.
It is more than just bad grammar... it is 100% wrong.

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

One of the crowd

#12 Post by One of the crowd »

**Pedantic Mode On**

From O/S : ON THIS DAY

1983: Around this time (the exact date is uncertain), New Order releases 'Blue Monday.' Neil has denied the rumor that he cried the first time he heard it, allegedly because it had stylistically 'beat them to the punch.'

How can it be "ON THIS DAY" if the exact date is uncertain!!

**Pedantic Mode Off**
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

daveid

#13 Post by daveid »

I think you'll find that the " ' " in "it's" was the " , " from "Love, etc." which escaped and mutated slightly...

:)

BecciJ

#14 Post by BecciJ »

Also, there are track 4's on the Story tracklisting shown on OS...

The full track-listing is:
1. West End girls (10" mix)
2. Paninaro (7" mix)
3. It's a sin (Disco mix)
4. What have I done to deserve this? (7" mix)
4. Jealousy (7" mix)
5. Being boring (7" mix)
6. Go West (7" mix)
7. Before (7" mix)
8. Home and dry (7" mix)
9. Flamboyant (7" mix)
10. Did you see me coming?

Oops!

Sandy Shaw

#15 Post by Sandy Shaw »

One of the crowd wrote:**Pedantic Mode On**

From O/S : ON THIS DAY

1983: Around this time (the exact date is uncertain), New Order releases 'Blue Monday.' Neil has denied the rumor that he cried the first time he heard it, allegedly because it had stylistically 'beat them to the punch.'

How can it be "ON THIS DAY" if the exact date is uncertain!!

**Pedantic Mode Off**
The 'On This Day' section is supplied by Wayne from http://www.geowayne.com. I think he is completely justified in having something from 'around this time' if it is relevant to the Boys.

Thanks BecciJ for the other one about 'Story'. As I have said I do not want this to be a negative thread although it may turn into a list of errors. Just a plea for quality control. I am serious in that I would take an unpaid job checking through PSB website or record label 'stuff' if required!

Edit: Just found another OS bloop. The film in the Bruce Weber box set should be 'A Letter to true' not 'Letter to True'.
What's for supper?