Pet Shop Boys convention UK

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
raggatwin

Re:

#76 Post by raggatwin »

jmh wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 9:01 pm i can think of nothing worse! being in close proximity to psb fans without the prospect of the boys to relieve the torture. every time i go to a psb show, i'm always embarrassed by the fans, both in terms of their physical appearance and the way they dress, especially the home made t-shirts. and in case anyone thinks i'm being harsh, neil and chris have said similar themselves, in literally, when they discuss the horror of coming face to face with their fans for the first time and discovering that the fans weren't, in the main, the cool, the leftfield, the disenchanted, but could quite easily be simply red or queen fans.

so no, count me out.

Lol. This made me laugh. Too 😎 for school.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Pod

Re: Re:

#77 Post by Pod »

raggatwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021, 3:09 pm
jmh wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 9:01 pm i can think of nothing worse! being in close proximity to psb fans without the prospect of the boys to relieve the torture. every time i go to a psb show, i'm always embarrassed by the fans, both in terms of their physical appearance and the way they dress, especially the home made t-shirts. and in case anyone thinks i'm being harsh, neil and chris have said similar themselves, in literally, when they discuss the horror of coming face to face with their fans for the first time and discovering that the fans weren't, in the main, the cool, the leftfield, the disenchanted, but could quite easily be simply red or queen fans.

so no, count me out.

This made me just shake my head having read yet another reason why society is what it is today….
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

stopthecar

Re: Pet Shop Boys convention UK

#78 Post by stopthecar »

Did this convention ever happened?

Or was Transforce already arrested by then?

nervousboy

#79 Post by nervousboy »

I remember the Decadence convention in Sept 1991 at the (then called) Palais. Same place Kate Bush club had a convention there earlier in the year and Kate showed up! Seem to recall Chris popped his head in the 91 convention then left quickly.

Sebastian_Surfleet

#80 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

so no, count me out.

I agree with you, it is hilarious.

What an interesting opinion of one's fellow fans jmh has. And if that is Neil and Chris' opinions of their fans... somewhat disheartening at a very minor level.

Not everyone can be cool. Or interesting. Most regular folks are... examples of social churn and conditioning that have made them slaves to fashion or, simply, ordinary. They have little time to ponder high fashion, or decide to somehow forsake normal society to be non-conformists (who are actually conforming in their own way). I dare say, the "Sophisticated Others" of our society, as of 2021, are decidedly unlikely to attend PSB concerts. Or erstwhile conventions. As a psychologist I find it all fascinating.

I guess next time I go to a concert, if that ever happens again, I better dress to the nines; designer everything topped with a nice cashmere trench coat. It will be hot, but at least I will meet certain expectations. Or maybe I should perhaps dress more intellectual, like Trotsky for example. Or avant garde like Jacobim Mugatu.

Or Marshal Murat.
Last edited by Sebastian_Surfleet on Wed 21 Jul 2021, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

raggatwin

#81 Post by raggatwin »

stopthecar wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021, 7:05 am Did this convention ever happened?

Or was Transforce already arrested by then?

He has posts on here in 2013...cringey if you read them with hindsight...really deluded..
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

raggatwin

#82 Post by raggatwin »

Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

so no, count me out.

I agree with you, it is hilarious.

What an interesting opinion of one's fellow fans jmh has. And if that is Neil and Chris' opinions of their fans... somewhat disheartening at a very minor level.

Not everyone can be cool. Or interesting. Most regular folks are pretty... examples of social churn and conditioning that have made them slaves to fashion or, simply, ordinary. They have little time to ponder high fashion, or decide to somehow forsake normal society to be non-conformists (who are actually conforming in their own way). I dare say, the "Sophisticated Others" of our society, as of 2021, are decidedly unlikely to attend PSB concerts. Or erstwhile conventions. As a psychologist I find it all fascinating.

I guess next time I go to a concert, if that ever happens again, I better dress to the nines; designer everything topped with a nice cashmere trench coat. It will be hot, but at least I will meet certain expectations. Or maybe I should perhaps dress more intellectual, like Trotsky for example. Or avant garde like Jacobim Mugatu.

Or Marshal Murat.
A funny and interesting response :)

Tbf to the original poster I do remember Neil saying something like this about the fanbase...before convincing himself that we were 'Sophisticates' or something painful...

TallThinMan

#83 Post by TallThinMan »

nervousboy wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021, 10:01 am I remember the Decadence convention in Sept 1991 at the (then called) Palais. Same place Kate Bush club had a convention there earlier in the year and Kate showed up! Seem to recall Chris popped his head in the 91 convention then left quickly.
Really?! I was there, never heard that before.

nervousboy

#84 Post by nervousboy »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021, 5:11 pm
nervousboy wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021, 10:01 am I remember the Decadence convention in Sept 1991 at the (then called) Palais. Same place Kate Bush club had a convention there earlier in the year and Kate showed up! Seem to recall Chris popped his head in the 91 convention then left quickly.
A few of us were there. A sad affair. We left too.

nervousboy

#85 Post by nervousboy »

It was arranged by Of Course fanzine I think.

Marie loves PSB

#86 Post by Marie loves PSB »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021, 5:11 pm
Yes, we went and it was rumoured PSB's themselves were going to be there. :)