Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

The Catalogue Interviews - put your questions to Julian Mendelsohn!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
fluffmoln

Re: The Catalogue Interviews - put your questions to Julian Mendelsohn!

#16 Post by fluffmoln » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 12:44 am

Ask him about his non-existent 9-minute mix of This Must Be The Place.

nickname

#17 Post by nickname » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 3:16 pm

READ THIS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE (if you have done before):
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/pet ... ys-its-sin

My question is:

Maybe it'd be very expensive but: Julian, wouldn't you like to work with Trevor Horn and Stephen Hague, all togeter in a new PSB album?. Working like a team o every track. More ideas, better production.

Actually

#18 Post by Actually » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 5:45 pm

Everything about Always on my mind is perfection, especially the Extended Dance Version. What was the process like to turn the demo into the perfect pop song?
Also, what is the correct name for the sound effect used throughout the song? I can only describe it as a "Wind blower" or "Wind Tunnel" sound effect. I did read somewhere that it was actually a sample of the word "You", is this true? Was it programmed or is it activated by a key? In recent live versions it has been moved to different parts of the song but the original version is where it sounds best.
I'm too weak to be strong

Neilatrone

#19 Post by Neilatrone » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 5:57 pm

Actually wrote:
Tue 13 Feb 2018, 5:45 pm
Everything about Always on my mind is perfection, especially the Extended Dance Version. What was the process like to turn the demo into the perfect pop song?
Also, what is the correct name for the sound effect used throughout the song? I can only describe it as a "Wind blower" or "Wind Tunnel" sound effect. I did read somewhere that it was actually a sample of the word "You", is this true? Was it programmed or is it activated by a key? In recent live versions it has been moved to different parts of the song but the original version is where it sounds best.
That is something that has intrigued me since I first heard the song. Thanks for the question.

Tom Angel

#20 Post by Tom Angel » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm

Actually wrote:
Do you mean the very first sound -at 1 second - that reappears throughout? The sort of amounts animal-like noise?
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Actually

#21 Post by Actually » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 8:55 pm

Tom Angel wrote:
Tue 13 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm
Actually wrote:
Do you mean the very first sound -at 1 second - that reappears throughout? The sort of amounts animal-like noise?
Yes! I know it was on the demo & it was produced by Pet Shop Boys & David Jacob but it sounds much tidier in the version Julian Menelsohn produced.
I'm too weak to be strong

Dog

#22 Post by Dog » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:39 am

Thanks everyone! Final call for questions.
Woof.

Tom Angel

#23 Post by Tom Angel » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 7:12 pm

I was wondering how working with PSB compared to working with say Level 42.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

joe stalin

#24 Post by joe stalin » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:02 pm

I read somewhere that JM felt that his job as a producer was easy with the boys because of the strength of the songs. Does he think the boys could release a stripped down acoustic (just Chris on piano and Neil’s voice) album or is the magic in the multi layering of sounds ?

Drico One

#25 Post by Drico One » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:20 pm

What was it like juggling your production duties with your acting job on Neighbours?

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

daveid

#26 Post by daveid » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

Drico One wrote:
Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:20 pm
What was it like juggling your production duties with your acting job on Neighbours?

Drico.
Not to mention your classical career (love Fingal's Cave...)

BlackPanther

#27 Post by BlackPanther » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:32 pm

Here's a question for Julian:

The versions of It's Alright mixed by you (and released on The Alternatives 10") contain elements of both the album version and the final single version. The single version could very well have been a remix of your version, but you're not credited on the single version. Can you elaborate on the story behind your mixes? Where they done before the single version? Was your version considered to be the single version?

BlackPanther

#28 Post by BlackPanther » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:09 am

Another one:

As the story goes, on the album version of Heart you wiped out some tracks by accident, resulting in the solo "beat, beat, heartbeat" intro. What happened exactly? How was the intro supposed to sound, what was removed from the mix?

BlackPanther

#29 Post by BlackPanther » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 1:36 am

Actually wrote:
Also, what is the correct name for the sound effect used throughout the song?
He probably won't be able to answer that because it was already in the original version produced by David Jacob, and was just sampled in the version produced by Julian.

The intro sound sounds like someone saying "I Love You" by the way, with the "You" part being used throughout the song.

Nina

#30 Post by Nina » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:23 am

Di you recall why a 9 and a half minute mix of the Behaviour album track There Must Be The Place was created in 1990? Did Neil and Chris have any input into that?