Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Jamesqdot

Re: Reissues project

#1261 Post by Jamesqdot » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:51 pm

Everyone keeps saying "they", but let's face it... it's their agent/PR company that most likely said no on their behalf.

daveid

#1262 Post by daveid » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:16 pm

Jamesqdot wrote:
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:51 pm
Everyone keeps saying "they", but let's face it... it's their agent/PR company that most likely said no on their behalf.
I bet Neil wears the trousers between the two of them when it comes to decisions though. Chris just nods, yawns and falls asleep

Drico One

#1263 Post by Drico One » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:41 pm

regularjoe wrote:
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:30 am
SDE covers a wide range of releases that are not your meat and potatoes cd release.

However, a lot of what he focuses on is the items that are littered with a lot of frou frou, the album on cd, the album on vinyl, a cd of single edits, four cd's of remixes, 5 badges, a poster, a very small booklet, a dvd with videos, autographed if you want to pay $100 more, a t-shirt....

The re-issues series really isn't that. I rather like that they have a defined criteria of what will be included and are generally affordable releases unlike some $150 and up set that is loaded with a lot of stuff that I don't want and will never have a use for.

I don't see their behavior as a snub and feel there is a bit of much ado about nothing here.
Yes, you'd imagine to listen to the site's not-at-all-sour grapes that the lack of an interview totally precludes a review or any other attention that would sway so many of this blog's niche audience into purchases.

Regardless, perhaps Neil and Chris do not really want to be overly associated with what is, essentially, nostalgia. Sure, the reissues, by their very nature, hark back, but they are necessary as a catalogue update. Being associated with sundry blasts from the past is probably not the motivation they need to shill for Parlophone these days - especially as catalogue releases will sell for ever and remove the urgency to promote on release.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

markreed

#1264 Post by markreed » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:31 pm

I agree with the guy who runs SDE : an interview would've helped this series.

y3potential

#1265 Post by y3potential » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:32 pm

Drico One wrote:
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:41 pm
regularjoe wrote:
SDE covers a wide range of releases that are not your meat and potatoes cd release.

However, a lot of what he focuses on is the items that are littered with a lot of frou frou, the album on cd, the album on vinyl, a cd of single edits, four cd's of remixes, 5 badges, a poster, a very small booklet, a dvd with videos, autographed if you want to pay $100 more, a t-shirt....

The re-issues series really isn't that. I rather like that they have a defined criteria of what will be included and are generally affordable releases unlike some $150 and up set that is loaded with a lot of stuff that I don't want and will never have a use for.

I don't see their behavior as a snub and feel there is a bit of much ado about nothing here.
Yes, you'd imagine to listen to the site's not-at-all-sour grapes that the lack of an interview totally precludes a review or any other attention that would sway so many of this blog's niche audience into purchases.

Regardless, perhaps Neil and Chris do not really want to be overly associated with what is, essentially, nostalgia. Sure, the reissues, by their very nature, hark back, but they are necessary as a catalogue update. Being associated with sundry blasts from the past is probably not the motivation they need to shill for Parlophone these days - especially as catalogue releases will sell for ever and remove the urgency to promote on release.

Drico.

I have a confession: I'm looking forward to Drico's witty and insightful critique of the new/old songs featured on the upcoming Further Listenings more than anything else. Don't let me down, Lad..!! :wink: :wink:
Attitudes are materialistic..

Drico One

#1266 Post by Drico One » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:01 pm

I can't promise witty and insightful, but I do feel a PSB listening binge coming on...

Some of these albums are among the most interesting and divisive of their career, and it must be conceded that I've never been someone, when interested in something, to write one sentence when two will do instead...

One aspect of the reissues that appeals to me is the opportunity to reappraise their work in intense batches. Many of these songs are, naturally, personal favourites, but there's also plenty of more obscure and long neglected tracks to pore over. And I don't tend to listen to albums from start to finish these days anymore, so this is a chance to do just that. Pop has, in its own way, become more disposable to me - even though I subconsciously archive every PSB release away. So, yep, I'm looking forward to the reissues too - if only to spend some time with the music again...and waffle about it on here. Simple pleasures. They'll be gone soon enough.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

y3potential

#1267 Post by y3potential » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

Drico One wrote:
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:01 pm
I can't promise witty and insightful, but I do feel a PSB listening binge coming on...

Some of these albums are among the most interesting and divisive of their career, and it must be conceded that I've never been someone, when interested in something, to write one sentence when two will do instead...

One aspect of the reissues that appeals to me is the opportunity to reappraise their work in intense batches. Many of these songs are, naturally, personal favourites, but there's also plenty of more obscure and long neglected tracks to pore over. And I don't tend to listen to albums from start to finish these days anymore, so this is a chance to do just that. Pop has, in its own way, become more disposable to me - even though I subconsciously archive every PSB release away. So, yep, I'm looking forward to the reissues too - if only to spend some time with the music again...and waffle about it on here. Simple pleasures. They'll be gone soon enough.

Drico.

You'll do for me, Drico. Much prefer your, dare I say, rambling observations than the corporate view of Q or Mojo magazine anyday.. :dance:
Attitudes are materialistic..

Dog

#1268 Post by Dog » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:25 pm

Drico One wrote:
regularjoe wrote:

Drico.
I'm sure this is what it boils down to. As great as such sites may be, by avoiding them they get to avoid becoming bedfellows of the kind of acts mentioned in previous posts. It's not about being sniffy, it's about continuing a strategy that sees them continually present themselves in the present rather than the past - a strategy I think has undoubtedly helped prolong their longevity.
Woof.

daveid

#1269 Post by daveid » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm

As I said it's on their terms and fair enough. I'm neither surprised nor especially bothered. There is more than enough info on these songs, or will be in the case of the unreleased ones. Let's hope the booklet size reflects the 2 discs for Nightlife and Release and it's not edited down to fit the limited size.

ZiggyPSB

#1270 Post by ZiggyPSB » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 11:30 pm

Yeah I second reading the wisdom of Drico and Geowayne to give us their SP on the new songs.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Bulldog

#1271 Post by Bulldog » Tue 18 Jul 2017, 1:31 am

Dog wrote:
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:25 pm
Drico One wrote:
regularjoe wrote:

Drico.
I'm sure this is what it boils down to. As great as such sites may be, by avoiding them they get to avoid becoming bedfellows of the kind of acts mentioned in previous posts. It's not about being sniffy, it's about continuing a strategy that sees them continually present themselves in the present rather than the past - a strategy I think has undoubtedly helped prolong their longevity.
But reissuing old stuff doesn't necessarily mean you will turn into Kraftwerk or any other act that's forever stuck in its past. One of the reasons why I loved Alternative in the first place is that in the interview booklet they were ready to say they didn't like some of the songs that featured on it... That was a brave thing. But I find it nonsensical to work for a long time on an archival project and then basically diss the whole thing, even before the results are out... As I wrote in a previous reply, it increasingly feels like they see it as a Parlophone thing, rather than a PSB project.
"It was a dark and stormy night".
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety".
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night".

Bulldog

#1272 Post by Bulldog » Tue 18 Jul 2017, 2:13 am

LiterallySimon wrote:
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:42 pm
Bulldog wrote:
Sun 16 Jul 2017, 10:56 pm
If they own their post-1990 music they could as well have released this new batch on X2 rather than on Parlo... The way I see it, it's like Neil, by dismissing the 2001 reissues and the whole sense of remastering/reissuing albums, is basically saying "don't bother with the new batch" too. And snubbing SDE completes this mess. He seems to give the impression he believes the whole thing is a Parlo marketing plan, rather than a PSB project, and wants to get it out of the way....

...Aren't we going to suppose they got indeed a bit "sniffy" about things since they left Parlo?
Like I wrote earlier, I can imagine him thinking that about the re-releases of FL 1984-1997. But not about the new stuff. They have been planning for more FL for more than a decade. It's definitely something they care about. I'm almost sure the new contract with Parlophone is less than great and while they do own everything from 1990 on, they can't change distribution short-term and likely will have given Parlophone more years of exclusivity with the FL deal. In exchange for paying for the project from mastering to manufacturing.
It's probably like this, but I don't think adding new stuff to the 2001 FLs would have felt like milking the cow. It would have been an opportunity for every part involved, including the fans... Not just easy money, but also a chance to fix a blatant weakness of the original FLs (the lack of relevant bonus content) and to make it more cohesive with the new set as well. Maybe they couldn't find an agreement and/or there were difficulties in dealing with Parlo, we'll never know, but it's hard to believe this option wasn't even taken in consideration..
"It was a dark and stormy night".
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety".
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night".

MD

#1273 Post by MD » Tue 18 Jul 2017, 2:47 am

Drico One wrote:
regularjoe wrote:

Drico.
It definitely was not a snub, it was however a PR mistake. This website is dedicated especially towards projects of the further listening nature. A perfect match in fact. A lost opportunity. My suspicion is that Neil and Chris probably never heard of this interview request and it was turned down by someone at Warner.

In any case we need not worry that there won't be a review of the further listening releases. The gentleman who runs super deluxe edition is a huge pet shop boy fan. He will review them and I have no doubt that they will get excellent reviews.

I agree with you Drico that Neil and Chris are almost certainly a bit snobbish about not focusing on the back catalogue too much. Madonna is much the same way, probably to an even greater extent than Pet Shop Boys. I suspect they feel this way because they assume that if they focus on their past glories it means that their glories are in fact history. This certainly is not the case in my opinion but I'm not the one who controls their catalog. I believe they would be well served by taking pride in their past glories and the ones that lay ahead. It's not out with the old in with the new. It's about both.

I for one cannot wait to get my hands on these releases, they are going to be the highlight of this musical year
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Zog

#1274 Post by Zog » Tue 18 Jul 2017, 5:11 am

Drico One wrote:
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:01 pm
I can't promise witty and insightful ...

Drico.

Yes, you can. :)

-Zog
*** “Time Warp” - EDM Mix - MAS (2017) ***
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... dm-mix-mas

** PSB - “Love Etc.” - You Need More - Dub Mix - MAS (2017) **
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... re-mas-mix

markreed

#1275 Post by markreed » Wed 19 Jul 2017, 7:30 pm

The missed opportunity is a DVD / BR reissue that accompanies the releases, containing It Couldn't Happen Here, Highlights, Discovery, and other material.

The SDE interview is more problematic : they are embarking on a huge reissue project, yet don't want to deal with the baggage any reissue contains?