Live performances of Chris in past and now.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
AlwaysBoring

Live performances of Chris in past and now.

#1 Post by AlwaysBoring »

I'm a complete newbie so apologies if this has been discussed before...

I've been watching some live performances of the guys and I was really surprised to see Chris so involved. His dancing and rapping/singing in "paninaro". Are there any similar performances where he gets involved?. Also was there any reason why he decided to just stick to the keyboards in later performances?.

Dog

Re: Live performances of Chris in past and now.

#2 Post by Dog »

Good topic. I think the last time Chris performed Paninaro was on the Fundamental tour (2006). It used to be a pretty regular staple of a PSB show. He took on multiple roles in Performance (1991) including stripping in We all feel better in the dark and getting drunk in West End girls. That was probably his most active show.

Pandemonium (2009) is a more recent one which saw him dance (Why don’t we live together?), play electronic drums (Building a wall / Suburbia) and bash out the impressive intro to Do I have to? But I think it is fair to agree that he has been a little more reserved in the most recent Electric and Super shows. Neil had mooted that Paninaro might be performed at the Dreamworld shows so we live in hope.
Woof.

AlwaysBoring

#3 Post by AlwaysBoring »

I just watched “we all feel better in the dark”. I couldn’t believe I was watching the same guy. He seemed to be having a lot of fun. He seems so he something of an enigma it seems. Not that Neil is particularly forthcoming either. I’m a big Queen fan and Freddie was always particularly private but he was still pretty open in some senses and of course his performances were insane.

Where as Chris seemed to start out really enjoying live work and then maybe not so much.

MikeyC

#4 Post by MikeyC »

This is more personal life rather than PSB, but remember that clip on YouTube of Chris dancing at an outdoor house music dance party? Probably from 1988 or ‘89. The clip used to be on the forum but I haven’t found it in a long time. Does anyone have it and might share? Thanks!

Greendrake

#5 Post by Greendrake »

MikeyC wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020, 3:40 am Does anyone have it and might share? Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30714
(I simply googled "Chris dancing at raves site:petshopboys-forum.com")

MikeyC

#6 Post by MikeyC »

Greendrake wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020, 4:44 am
MikeyC wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020, 3:40 am Does anyone have it and might share? Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30714
(I simply googled "Chris dancing at raves site:petshopboys-forum.com")
Excellent!! Thank you!! 8)

Pod

#7 Post by Pod »

Chris over the last few years is becoming a recluse. He has said as much (can’t remember where though) and much prefers to shy away from any kind of spotlight. Even in the west end girls lockdown video he has his back to us. The ‘noodling’ video was face covered. The days of him performing on stage are long gone (other than standing behind a keyboard with usual cap and shades). I respect his decision.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Greendrake

#8 Post by Greendrake »

Chris did just dance in Monkey business video and live performances. So things aren't that hopeless.
AlwaysBoring wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020, 10:55 pm Where as Chris seemed to start out really enjoying live work and then maybe not so much.
I think the amount of his live action has been reasonably proportionate to the percentage of songs in PSB catalogue where he sings. It's not the case that he recorded lots of vocals and refused to perform them. There were just not so many songs for him to actively perform in the first place. He is the main composer, not performer.

AlwaysBoring

#9 Post by AlwaysBoring »

Pod wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020, 9:37 am Chris over the last few years is becoming a recluse. He has said as much (can’t remember where though) and much prefers to shy away from any kind of spotlight. Even in the west end girls lockdown video he has his back to us. The ‘noodling’ video was face covered. The days of him performing on stage are long gone (other than standing behind a keyboard with usual cap and shades). I respect his decision.
It’s a shame as he seems to be a really fun guy. Of course it’s his decision and who can blame him after being in the spotlight for so long. Hopefully he’s happy :).

AlwaysBoring

#11 Post by AlwaysBoring »

http://psb-atdeadofnight.net/neil_chris/e_chris.php

So I just read this. Granted it’s not recent but is Chris really that miserable? Or is it part of his “act” in the PSB. His comment about not liking kissing as it’s too intimate is particularly surreal. As is his comment about not having any ambitions as a kid.

Pod

#13 Post by Pod »

AlwaysBoring wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020, 3:31 pm http://psb-atdeadofnight.net/neil_chris/e_chris.php

So I just read this. Granted it’s not recent but is Chris really that miserable? Or is it part of his “act” in the PSB. His comment about not liking kissing as it’s too intimate is particularly surreal. As is his comment about not having any ambitions as a kid.
I would imagine if you know him he’s a fun guy. To the outsider I bet he’s a difficult nut to crack. The kissing comment is a bit weird, but each to their own I suppose. I love a kiss personally!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

glennjridge

#14 Post by glennjridge »

You know how models get to a certain age and then sort of disappear? maybe its kinda like that. getting old can mess with certain people especially if they were good looking and hugely successful enjoying their youth on a level regular people dont experience.

nightclubs,raves, non stop parties. and then at some point you become hyper aware you are the oldest person in the room. maybe he feels silly dancing across the stage now. maybe he's just having a bad mid-life crisis.

Then again he has always cultivated something of a look that is glum, maybe we are just reading to much into it. he might be totally content.

AlwaysBoring

#15 Post by AlwaysBoring »

You both make great points. I’m currently reading “literally” by Chris Heath. I think both Neil and Chris don’t come across amazingly well but when it’s not in context it’s hard to get the right impression. There’s a good quote where Neil suggests that Chris has an inferiority complex and Chris agrees. Could explain why Chris comes across as being unhappy. Hopefully as suggested he is happy with people he trusts. But both of them seem to be similar and perhaps that’s why they make great music.