Hotspot era design

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Harry

Hotspot era design

#1 Post by Harry » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 6:35 pm

One of my favourite parts of a new PSB ‘era’ starting is the design aspect of it. As Petheads, we’re incredibly lucky (or maybe we just have great taste!). Neil and Chris’s collaboration with Farrow has produced some beautiful work.

The Super era was very, very strong in terms of design in my opinion. It really fitted the music, and Farrow’s ‘circles’ theme was hugely effective across all the releases and the tour, merchandise etc. So much colour!

So, Hotspot. Personally I really like the autumnal look of the album and ‘Burning the heather’. The photographic inner sleeves are gorgeous. ‘Dreamland’ stands out a bit more, but keeps the new house style in the treatment of text. The album cover is very them. I love a blurred photo...

What are everyone’s thoughts?
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Dog

Re: Hotspot era design

#2 Post by Dog » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 6:56 pm

I like the sleeve. I like the idea of them using their own photographs (is this the first time since the inner sleeve of Bilingual?), and the shots on the inner sleeve and the Heather sleeve look cool. Dreamland doesn’t really tie in though, which I guess was purposeful, or that they needed something before the rest of the campaign was in place. And I’m not sure either that the artwork particularly ties in with the title, which is crying out for a graphical treatment in the spirit of the first two parts of the trilogy. But equally I am glad they aren’t repeating themselves and it is hard to comment fully without hearing the music.
Woof.

goughsjd

#3 Post by goughsjd » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 7:28 pm

Dog wrote:
Sat 07 Dec 2019, 6:56 pm
I like the sleeve. I like the idea of them using their own photographs (is this the first time since the inner sleeve of Bilingual?), and the shots on the inner sleeve and the Heather sleeve look cool. Dreamland doesn’t really tie in though, which I guess was purposeful, or that they needed something before the rest of the campaign was in place. And I’m not sure either that the artwork particularly ties in with the title, which is crying out for a graphical treatment in the spirit of the first two parts of the trilogy. But equally I am glad they aren’t repeating themselves and it is hard to comment fully without hearing the music.
Have they said that they are using their own photos? I've never heard this before!!
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

leesmapman

#4 Post by leesmapman » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 7:30 pm

goughsjd wrote:
    Dog wrote:
    Have they said that they are using their own photos? I've never heard this before!!
    The sleeve note of the Burning the Heather single states as much. Says nothing about the Hotspot sleeve though

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

goughsjd

#5 Post by goughsjd » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 7:34 pm

leesmapman wrote:
    Sat 07 Dec 2019, 7:30 pm
    goughsjd wrote:
    Dog wrote:
    The sleeve note of the Burning the Heather single states as much. Says nothing about the Hotspot sleeve though

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk
    Oh right cool. Cheers for that
      Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

Harry

#6 Post by Harry » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 8:03 pm

Dog wrote:
      I’m not sure either that the artwork particularly ties in with the title, which is crying out for a graphical treatment in the spirit of the first two parts of the trilogy. But equally I am glad they aren’t repeating themselves
      I too was expecting a simple graphic cover with lots of white space, if only to tie in with Electric and Super. But, as Effen has been suggesting in his early review of Hotspot, they’re not repeating themselves and that is a very good thing.

I remember, about the time when they announced Dreamworld, and when they were on the radio promoting Hyde Park, they said they were having trouble naming the album. I think the cover was designed before the album got its name, which I’m guessing they decided at the last possible moment. The name, like the artwork and (it sounds like) the album itself is not what we were expecting. Again, a good thing.
      Heaven is possible,
      AFTER ALL.

daveid

#7 Post by daveid » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:02 pm

Doesn't feel like we're in the same era as the previous two. I was - naively - expecting some kind of simple Bridget Riley type design but they've rung the changes - good for them.

Patrick Bateman

#8 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

Harry wrote:
      Sat 07 Dec 2019, 6:35 pm
      So, Hotspot. Personally I really like the autumnal look of the album and ‘Burning the heather’. The photographic inner sleeves are gorgeous. ‘Dreamland’ stands out a bit more, but keeps the new house style in the treatment of text. The album cover is very them. I love a blurred photo...
      Where can you see the inner sleeves?

The blurred photo is obviously very Nightlife.

Dog

#9 Post by Dog » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
      Harry wrote:
      Sat 07 Dec 2019, 6:35 pm
      Where can you see the inner sleeves?

The blurred photo is obviously very Nightlife.
      https://www.petshopboysshop.co.uk/petsh ... 8X00000000
      Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#10 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:46 pm

Thanks. I wonder if it's a Berlin park. Such a change from Super - I assume it reflects the overall mood as their album sleeves generally do that in some way, or at least one's impressions of the album are so strongly associated with the aesthetic, that it seems that they do. Introspective, for instance. I've always associated it with the vivid colour of both the cover and the sleeve, so it's almost like experiencing synesthesia when listening to it.

leesmapman

#11 Post by leesmapman » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:30 pm

I just noticed the location of the hole. Probably looks good when you put it on a record player.

Effen Vida

#12 Post by Effen Vida » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:34 pm

leesmapman wrote:
      Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:30 pm
      I just noticed the location of the hole. Probably looks good when you put it on a record player.
      Haha! Good spot.

daveid

#13 Post by daveid » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:50 pm

Effen Vida wrote:
      Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:34 pm
      leesmapman wrote:
      Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:30 pm
      Haha! Good spot.
      OK - so we know where the hotspot is anatomically. Is it Chris or Neil? Who has the biggest spindle??

Nicholas

#14 Post by Nicholas » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm

Pre-ordered the deluxe CD today. The signed print looks great but the yellow text on the special edition CD sleeve does look sort of terrible compared to the lovely white version.

Future Lover

#15 Post by Future Lover » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 11:48 pm

Nicholas wrote:
      Thu 12 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm
      Pre-ordered the deluxe CD today. The signed print looks great but the yellow text on the special edition CD sleeve does look sort of terrible compared to the lovely white version.
      Hoping for a slightly golden effect.