Their crap songs

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
whateverman42

Their crap songs

#1 Post by whateverman42 »

Are...

What Keeps Mankind Alive
Confidential
If Love Were All
The Sound of the Atom Splitting
Opportunities (reprise)
That's My Impression
Was it Worth it?
The Night I Fell in Love

Ones that are skirting a fine line between decent and crap are...

Footsteps
Absolutely Fabulous
The Only One
Later Tonight

That is all, you have the definitive list with which you can agree with :wink: Anyways, for a band with hundreds of songs to average one crap track every three years is pretty amazing. I probably only really like 60% of the songs from my next favourite artist. So I think 95%+ of PSB stuff is good or great, which is weird. How can they be so consistent?

redsock

Re: Their crap songs

#2 Post by redsock »

whateverman42 wrote: That's My Impression
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think you had a quick bout of brain malfunction judging that one ... :wink: (It's one of their best ever and is just pure unadulterated PSB), but otherwise I'll let your list pass without further corrections. :P :lol:

whateverman42

#3 Post by whateverman42 »

Fair enough, I don't particularly like it but I can see that it might not deserve to be on the same level as What Keeps Mankind Alive. Everyone take note, it is off the Definitive List and onto the sketchy list, make sure you add that correction to your record books. Oh, and add DJ Culture to the sketchy list as well. Done now!

Bruno Republic

#4 Post by Bruno Republic »

I *love* both DJ Culture and Was It Worth It and still rank them in my top 10 PSB songs.

Danimal

#5 Post by Danimal »

"Party song."

DJ Fairborne

#6 Post by DJ Fairborne »

For me personally, I cannot stand ''A Red Letter Day'', it's one of the worst PSB songs ever & I can't understand why it was ever released as a single, when there were far better tracks on ''Bilingual'' that could've been released, such as ''The Survivors'' for example. No wonder it fell like a lead balloon in week 2 of it's chart run: 9-42-62. It's just so awful - the out-of-tune choir, the nauseating lyrics (especially the ''You can sneer or disappear behind a veneer of self-control'' line), the video was crap with all those people just standing in a queue - even Neil & Chris admit it's one of the worst videos! The song just feels like it's treading old ground, which was done so much better previously with the likes of ''Go West'' & ''Was It Worth It?'' for example. Good b-sides though, as I like both ''Delusions Of Grandeur'' & ''The Boy Who Couldn't Keep His Clothes On'' (who is that about btw?).

Another one I'm not keen on is ''Numb'', but at least PSB didn't write this one themselves. The song is so depressing & just leaves me cold, it's one of the tracks I always skip on ''Fundamental''. This too had a crap video, with hardly any of Neil & Chris in it - it just felt like a tribute to the ''Battleship Potemkin'' project, with all those black & white clips. Again, why was this a 'proper' single, whilst ''Integral'' was digital-download only? But there was a good fan-made dance remix done by someone (I think it maybe JCRZ), which is quite good though.

Other ones I dont like are: ''The Sound Of The Atom Splitting'' (tuneless), ''The Night I Fell In Love'' (cringeworthingly embarrassing!), ''Here'' & ''Birthday Boy'' (both boring) and ''Electricity'' & ''Footsteps'' (both weird).

But I like ''Party Song'' though!

Palpatine

#7 Post by Palpatine »

Just off the top of my head:

What keeps mankind alive?
Was it worth it?
I get along
Love is a catastrophe
Happiness is an option
The survivors
To step aside
Metamorphosis
Single-Bilingual
The only one
Footsteps
The sound of the atom splitting
One of the crowd
Somewhere
Screaming
Absolutely Flatulent

As far as A red letter day goes, I think it's a great song that's ruined by crap production. The album version is slightly better than the 7", which has that awful Gina G synth riff near the end of the song, but they both sound like Go west part 2. I disagree that there were better alternatives on Bilingual. Before, Se a vida e and A red letter day are the only really obvious singles on the album. Discoteca and It always comes as a surprise could have been released as singles, if only because Discoteca (the original 7", not the crap new version) is one of the best things they've ever done and deserved a wider release.

Corina

#8 Post by Corina »

I hate this kind of threads.
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

Radiophonic

#9 Post by Radiophonic »

Atom Splitting is the only one I cannot listen to. The only PSB song that's not on my iPod. New York city boy is PSB-by-numbers and Ab Fab is a non-song.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

No Muscle Mary

#10 Post by No Muscle Mary »

That Saturday Night one was embarassing too. Just an excuse to write a song called Saturday. I think they sometimes come up with what they think is a good title and then they write a song around that.
I can't stand A Red Letter Day either, or Numb, The Night I Fell in Love is, indeed, cringeworthy, as is New York City Boy, Birthday Boy is just soooooo boring.
Nobody has mentioned a strong contender for worst song - Legacy.
Churlicious

StevePSB
Site Admin

#11 Post by StevePSB »

About time someone mentioned New York city boy - truly awful.

And I've still only listened to the new album (Jesus, I can't even remember it's name! :lol: ) once! ;)

StevePSB

StevePSB
Site Admin

#12 Post by StevePSB »

Corina wrote:I hate this kind of threads.
Feel free to start a 'Their best songs' thread to balance things out! ;)

StevePSB

Radiophonic

#13 Post by Radiophonic »

The should have dumped New York city boy and just covered the Village People's New York City. Dumped Satuday Night Foever and covered the Bee Gees Night Fever. :shifty: (I jest ... :shhh: )
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Posh Boy

#14 Post by Posh Boy »

If Love Were All must be their lowpoint, closely matched by
Disco Potential
Legacy
Motoring
What keeps mankind alive
Confidential

Sketchy List:
New York city boy