Just back from the Toronto Show

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Rorie

Just back from the Toronto Show

#1 Post by Rorie » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:20 am

I was pleased to see Roger and Brian again who I had not seen since the Nightlife Show, almost seven years ago.

I was also able to meet up with Tom and Olivia (aka Artistica).

I finally met ScubaWeeble (Mary).

And it was nice to also meet weirdalfan1980 (Richard) from Midland.

Setlist was as follows:

Preshow : Popjustice CD (mix compilation) that is coming out on the 23rd. It is definitely this CD as it played the new Client song and also It's A Sin (Barfly Version)

1.God Willing
2.Psychological
3.Left To My Own Devices
4.Suburbia
5.I'm with Stupid
6.Can You Forgive Her?
7.Rent
8.Minimal
9.Shopping
10.Dreaming of the Queen
11.Heart
12.Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money)
13.Integral

Part 2

14.Numb
15.Se A Vida É (Thats The Way Life Is)/Domino dancing
16.Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You)
17.Always On My Mind
18.Flamboyant
19.Home and dry
20.West End Girls
21.The Sodom And Gomorrah Show

Encore
22. So hard (Sylvia Mason James and back singers on vocals, Chris on Stage, no Neil)
23.It's a Sin
24.Go west

Sylvia Mason James has more singing in these songs than I recall her having to do in the past. She carried it out flawlessly. And she got a great round of applause which is well deserved.

Although the songs are mainly like those off the albums, there are some nice surprises such as an unplugged version of Home and Dry, an interesting beat to Where The Streets Have No Name, and some other nice surprises. For some reason I thought Miracles was part of the setlist, but they did not play that one.

Neil and Chris seemed happy with the crowd, but I could not help but notice that the newer tracks off Fundamental did not seem to get as much of a response. People did not seem to sign along to them like the old standards, which leads me to believe that many people came to see them not so much for the new material, but the stuff from their imperial era.

R

Rorie

#2 Post by Rorie » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:45 am

I forgot to mention that we were at the back of the theatre, and waited about an hour.

Then the 30 or so of us left were told to stand single file and Neil and Chris signed autographs, but we were told no pictures. Anyone taking a picture would mean the end of it.

Mary (Scubaweeble) waited two hours prior to the show, and was told the same thing, no pics. Not sure why....

But still, great to see the, chat briefly, and get some autographs.

Fourth time I have now met Neil, third time I have met Chris.

Rorie

Artistica

#3 Post by Artistica » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:48 am

Hi Rorie! What an awesome evening!
Did you stay there much longer after Tom and I left? I was just wondering what happened afterwards...my guess is that Chris and Neil most likely hopped into one of their silver busses and left...

ClyCly

#4 Post by ClyCly » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:54 am

Brian was there !!! Woah bring back memories :)

I am very happy that you had a great nite !

And thanks Rorie for the autograph I owe you one !

Cheers,

Isa.

Rorie

#5 Post by Rorie » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:56 am

Hi Isa,

Yes, I forgot to mention I had met Brian when I called you. He came up to me, and then we went to see Roger. I had not seen Brian in almost seven years.

It was only after I walked away from them I recalled you "knew" him. Ha ha.

Olivia, they went into the limo that was there a few minutes after you left. I was still chatting to Tara and her friends.

I did not see Mary leave. She was stealth like!

Rorie

ClyCly

#6 Post by ClyCly » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 7:09 am

Okee thanks for the infos. Roger was his friend if I remember well. Well that's cool, PSB fans are like a big family and you see once in a couple of years and that's great :)

Cheers,

Isa.

ScubaWeeble

#7 Post by ScubaWeeble » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 3:11 pm

RORIE!!!

It was sooooooo awesome to finally meet you!

WE had a blast!

I'm so sorry we didn't have a chance to say goodbye. I saw you talk to Neil and Chris and tell them about ClyCly. I don't know where you disappeared to afterwards. We did say Bye to Aya (friends with Tara).

Hopefully that will not be the last Canadian PSB Concert and hopefully we can meet up again!!!! 8)

TheGardner

#8 Post by TheGardner » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 3:41 pm

hehe nice to read you had a great time! I just realised again, how (more) often we can see the boys here in Europe! Must have been damn hard for you guys to wait for such a long time!
PSB news on WhatsApp?
Just send Hello! I Want To Join The Party.

Danger

#9 Post by Danger » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 5:58 pm

More revies I read more is great my wish to see the Boys live in Italy. I'm waiting for the European dates. Hope!! I want to hear Can you forgive her? and Flamboyant played live!

pemachine

#10 Post by pemachine » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:02 pm

Hey Rorie. It was great to see you again as well. I contemplated whether you would remember me after seven years, but was pleasantly surprised when you did.

The concert was great, and I'm glad I went. I almost didn't but then shook myself out of my insanity. I was rather annoyed though at the unbelievable amount of cameras there. The worst part is they didn't even search me when I went in the door. I was carrying a binocular case which could have had a camera, or even a bomb in it, and they wouldn't even had known! So I feel kind of gipped over that, coz I wanted pictures.

But that has nothing to do with the music, which was done quite well, loyal to the original versions for the most part. And what can you say about Sylvia during West End Girls? It gave me chills.

Once again, Chris didn't say a word through the entire thing, a little disppointing. I wanted to stick around afterward and try to get an autograph but a) we had Rodger's son with us who had school in the morning, and b) I didn't wanna risk spoiling the 1999 experience at the Warehouse by not living up to it, or surpassing it this time.

I am thinking of perhaps seeing them again at the end of this month in Detroit, since that is where my GF lives. That could be cool.

Anyhow later people. :)

Young Offender

#11 Post by Young Offender » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:26 pm

pemachine wrote:Hey Rorie. It was great to see you again as well. I contemplated whether you would remember me after seven years, but was pleasantly surprised when you did.

The concert was great, and I'm glad I went. I almost didn't but then shook myself out of my insanity. I was rather annoyed though at the unbelievable amount of cameras there. The worst part is they didn't even search me when I went in the door. I was carrying a binocular case which could have had a camera, or even a bomb in it, and they wouldn't even had known! So I feel kind of gipped over that, coz I wanted pictures.

But that has nothing to do with the music, which was done quite well, loyal to the original versions for the most part. And what can you say about Sylvia during West End Girls? It gave me chills.

Once again, Chris didn't say a word through the entire thing, a little disppointing. I wanted to stick around afterward and try to get an autograph but a) we had Rodger's son with us who had school in the morning, and b) I didn't wanna risk spoiling the 1999 experience at the Warehouse by not living up to it, or surpassing it this time.

I am thinking of perhaps seeing them again at the end of this month in Detroit, since that is where my GF lives. That could be cool.

Anyhow later people. :)
Hi Pemachine,

How old was the son and did he do okay?

I am taking my 10 year old to the L.A. show, do you think he would be okay?, I did take him to the Release concert at the Las vegas Hard Rock.
Thousand of U.S. Promo CDs and Hard to find CDs for Sale
Collectible CD Music | Promo CDs | Rare CDs for Sale | Pet Shop Boys CDs for Sale

Rorie

#12 Post by Rorie » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:53 pm

Hi Brian,

How old is Andrew? I remembered you. It was a long time, so I was a little rusty as I could not remember Roger's name to begin with.

It has been almost seven years. I cannot remember my wife's birthday or my anniversary, so if she reads that I remembered you guys after seven years, I am probably in trouble.... :roll:

My son is 4, and my daughter 6. So if they come back, it will be like 2011. I can take at least her then.

I also want to congratulate you on becoming a Dad. I guess having a baby boy is an alright excuse for missing the Release Show. Ha ha.

Say hello again to Roger and Andrew for me.

I got Isa a get well thing from Neil because she hurt her knee in Montreal.

I went alone to Toronto this time, but as soon as I walked in the door, I saw all familiar faces and got to meet some people in the flesh for the first time. I had a great time, although I missed not having my partner in crime Isa there.

Have a good time in Detriot. At the State Theatre again, just like last time.

Rorie
Last edited by Rorie on Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rorie

#13 Post by Rorie » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 6:56 pm

There was a kid, maybe ten years old with a backstage pass. The whole taking candy from a baby thing crossed my mind. Just kidding. :lol: Kid was a grandson of one of the EMI Canada execs I think.

Your son should be fine. Maybe take a pair of earplugs for him and get him in the aisle if you can as well everyone stands up, he won't be able to see much.

The theatre in Toronto they played in is the same one I am going to again on the 19th of this month to see some Disney Magic thingy with the kids. What ever that means. I am sure there will be a different atmosphere. At least I hope so..... :roll:

Rorie

Rorie

#14 Post by Rorie » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 7:08 pm

Hey,

Who was the guy again with the England shirt at the front dead centre. He knew Tara. Guy bounced around the whole time, was like he was on speed. I don't think he even noticed there was an intermission. He just kept dancing through the intermission!!!

:lol:

My son does the same dance moves when he has to go to the bathroom. Well, not exactly, my son is also grabbing his crotch at the time. But then again, I was behind him, so maybe he was doing the same. Neil probably thought the guy had the hots for him when all he needed was the bathroom. :shock:

Just kidding. He was clearly a fan, and I am glad he had a good time. He looked vaguely familiar though......

Rorie

#15 Post by Rorie » Thu 12 Oct 2006, 7:26 pm

pemachine wrote:So I feel kind of gipped over that, coz I wanted pictures.
Send me your e-mail address and I will send you some pics I got.

Most of mine did not turn out, but I got about six or seven good ones.

This is the fourth show I have been to, and each time people get camera's in. I was prepared to drop the thing in my shorts if I had to. Now would I have then been brave enough to retrieve the camera would be another question entirely..... :lol:

They were almost strip searching some woman next to me. Going through her purse. She looked like my Mom for gods sakes. These guys must work at airport security on their off time, I swear.

Hmm, big dumb looking white guy with a camera, cell phone, wallet, car keys, house keys, office keys, keys on my keychain that have been on there so long I have no idea what they are for keys, other junk stuffed into his almost exploding pockets (this would be me), or sweet polite old Granny with her little purse. Code Red, Code Red, Search Granny! :roll:

Then I got brave and would walk up the aisle right in front of the security guy to get a better pic. He was probably blinded by all the flashes in the audience, or completely dumbfounded how all these Granny's still managed to get there camera's in after they had been profiled and searched......

I gotta admit, though, the security guys who were out the back of the theatre were really nice, informative, professional, and had to be the best orgainzed group I have ever met. They did a really good job, and treated us with respect.

Rorie