OK, third single, but what about fourth? ;)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Tomas

OK, third single, but what about fourth? ;)

#1 Post by Tomas »

So we know there will be the third single released in late September. They would release Numb in the autumn (fits well with the season). Also, they will be about to start their US tour then, and that song is kind of American according to what some here say - perhaps a US release, too? Or maybe not this song, but whatever.

It seems to me that they kind of haven't give up the plan (?) to release one more song before Christmas...? In 1999, New York city boy was out also late Sept., and Drunk (I know, that was the third single) was originally scheduled to be released around Christmas.

Now, what would be the best option for a Christmas song? ILTR looks like an obvious option, doesn't it? Also, if the 4th single - of course if there is any at all - is a slow song, they could release Integral or Sodom in September (I doubt they would release two slow songs in a row).

And even if the fourth single won't be out before Christmas, I think they could still be considering the 4th single, as AFAIK they plan to tour Europe in the first half of 2007 and new single release would go well with that.

Hmm...
PeT sHoP bOyS aT dEaD oF nIgHt
http://psb-atdeadofnight.net
Your one-stop source for 350+ PSB lyrics, 80+ PSB MIDIs,
plenty of unique photographs and much more...

E-Mail Vampire

#2 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

I would like a 4th single but not sure if it will happen and if it does it won't be til January. If there is a 4th I'd like Integral or 20th Centuey (Mix) (Assuming Numb is 3rd single)

Rent

#3 Post by Rent »

I would, of course, love a 4th single. But totally unrealistic methinks. They seem to stop at 2/3 don't they :s

I'd like to see these as potential single candidates (in no particular order): Psychological - for i feel this is quirky & might attract Joe Public's attention, thus work as a single. And Twentieth-Century - which i personally love, but don't think it might work as a single.
--- Coincidence and patience will mend this fatal flaw ---

NorthernLad

#4 Post by NorthernLad »

There are certainly enough commercial tracks to release 4 singles, but it all depends on how well the 2nd and 3rd singles do....

If it were up to ME I would do Sodom & Gomorrah 3rd, and then maybe a less obvious choice 4th. ILTR, perhaps, or Twentieth Century w/ a single mix.

---
www.BluespaceRadio.com
New Wave and beyond... music without boundaries.

!

#5 Post by ! »

3rd - Numb as it is or a single mix

4th - The Sodom and Gomorrah Show or Integral (single mix)

I know TSAGS was declined but it would make a fantastic video...

Ramzy

#6 Post by Ramzy »

Hang on, since when was a third single definite?
I must disengage your recreational music.

Tomas

#7 Post by Tomas »

Ramzy wrote:Hang on, since when was a third single definite?
viewtopic.php?t=13782&highlight=third

We hope! :D
PeT sHoP bOyS aT dEaD oF nIgHt
http://psb-atdeadofnight.net
Your one-stop source for 350+ PSB lyrics, 80+ PSB MIDIs,
plenty of unique photographs and much more...

djandyman

#8 Post by djandyman »

I think that Numb is the only single left from Fundamental. Integral, and maybe Psychological (with some remixing)... I think Sodom and Gomorrah is not single material whatsoever...
Latest Remix: Domino Dancing ^^

Ramzy

#9 Post by Ramzy »

I, erm, the newsroom? I can't help thinking about 'London', or the US PopArt, or anything EMI touches.

And I sort of wonder what a third single is likely to achieve, beyond perpetuating the thing that actually there isn't the market for even a second single. I'm as puzzled as everyone else by this. We can throw circumstantial reasoning at it for as long as we like but nothing mentioned has ever stopped other people unconditionally. Maybe it's the combination. Personally I blame the fact that the Minimal (or mINIMAL as I just tried to type it, Marilyn Manson-ly) discs are partially transparent. The world just isn't ready for that kind of crazy shit.

profile790

#10 Post by profile790 »

I don't think a 4th single is very likely. The 3rd single is going to accompany the live album, but a 4th single is unlikely to stimulate Fundamental album sales, unless they come up with a clever plan.

I could imagine them picking a slower track for third single: either Numb or Indefinite Leave To Remain, and then follow it with a fourth uptempo single early 2007: Integral or Fugitive (there's still hope that someone at EMI will start thinking and force this track to be released as a single).

Drico One

#11 Post by Drico One »

Why do I have the feeling that the decision to release the live CD (never a good idea) is a way of compensating fans for a dearth of Fundamental singles...

One wonders if it is a coincidence that the live record was announced on the week it became clear that Minimal's impact on the singles chart and on Fundamental's sales was, well, minimal.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

MarcoS

#12 Post by MarcoS »

Good point, Drico.

I think we can forget a third single from this album. This Live-CD-album thing reminds me of Disco 3 instead of the UK London single...

Marco
"All women become like their mothers. That's their tragedy. Men don't, and that's theirs."
Oscar Wilde

Facebook: Marco Steiz
http://www.myspace.com/numb75

psb-freak

#13 Post by psb-freak »

They gotta release Integral on single, so I hope there will be fourth.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Ramzy

#14 Post by Ramzy »

Pfft, hardly. It's not actually that strong a track. It's forceful, but that's it. Musically it sounds as though they wrote something around the words after reading them through once. The tune totally follows the inflection of the sentences, nothing more. Most lines are on one note. There isn't even a conclusive tune to the chorus. It sounds like they've gone for production and lyrics over a song.

I love it, anyway, but I don't think it's a single. And it would spoil the album to release the big surprise from the end. You don't really want them to just put out the strongest track (which I don't think it is) and go all out for the hell of it. It sort of... spoils the fun.

Nickname

Re: OK, third single, but what about fourth? ;)

#15 Post by Nickname »

Tomas wrote:So we know there will be the third single released in late September. They would release Numb in the autumn (fits well with the season). Also, they will be about to start their US tour then, and that song is kind of American according to what some here say - perhaps a US release, too? Or maybe not this song, but whatever.

It seems to me that they kind of haven't give up the plan (?) to release one more song before Christmas...? In 1999, New York city boy was out also late Sept., and Drunk (I know, that was the third single) was originally scheduled to be released around Christmas.

Now, what would be the best option for a Christmas song? ILTR looks like an obvious option, doesn't it? Also, if the 4th single - of course if there is any at all - is a slow song, they could release Integral or Sodom in September (I doubt they would release two slow songs in a row).

And even if the fourth single won't be out before Christmas, I think they could still be considering the 4th single, as AFAIK they plan to tour Europe in the first half of 2007 and new single release would go well with that.

Hmm...
I don't believe we see a fourth single.