Purely Tennant/Lowe albums

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

Purely Tennant/Lowe albums

#1 Post by telys »

There are only two PSB albums where there are only Tennant/Lowe song writing credits: Behaviour and Relentless although Elysium (it's doubtful if Händel should be credited after 300 years) and Bilingual come close.
Now the task is to replace the songs with external songwriting with proper T/L-compositions.

For Please I would replace 2/0 with A man could get arrested (12'') and Love comes quickly with That's my impression which fits better in the album narrative although In the night is the better song.

For Actually we don't have much choice. OMC would be replaced by I get excited (both are upbeat songs about urban life with Bobby O origins). You know where you went wrong would replace What have I done and ICHH is replaced by Do I have to (similar in mood).

Introspective is a hard nut to crack because of its conceptual nature. I would make a mix of One of the croud and In My House as a replacement for Always on my mind/In My House. And Don Juan (extended) to replace It's alright. A weaker album indeed but purely T/L.

Very is easier. Just skip Go West and make it a stand alone single or replace it with Shameless/Too Many People
Same goes for Bilingual. Se a vida e as a perfect summer stand alone single.

With Nightlife I would repace Happiness is an option with The Ghost of Myself and remove New York city boy (which also makes a great stand alone single). The b-side material is weak during this time.

Release has yet another typical stand alone single in London which would be replaced by Searching for the face of Jesus.
Fundamental is easy. Remove Numb and put Fugitive there instead, oh boy what an improvement not only songwise but also conceptually.

Yes is trickier because of the collaborative nature of the production/songwriting. This used to be the future would be a great opener insted of Love etc. More than a dream and The way it used to be would have to go and instead we have We're all criminals now and Gin and Jag.

On Elysium In his imagination is a great replacement for Hold on.

Electric is trickier. The last to die has to go and instead we have Entschuldigung. Love Is a Bourgeois Construct is gone. Get it online is much better. Thursday is a great track and there are no other good b-sides so either reduce the number of songs to 8 or put on of the long PSB-mixes of Leaving there instead.

On Super Say it to me can be replaced by its b-side Cloud in a box.

On Hotspot we replace Dreamland with An open mind and Monkey business with Decide.

An there we have it, 13 albums with only Tennant/Lowe composition. No outside interference.
----
You've got me all wrong

One of the crowd

Re: Purely Tennant/Lowe albums

#2 Post by One of the crowd »

I would have added Time On My Hands to Release
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

telys

#3 Post by telys »

One of the crowd wrote: Sun 01 Nov 2020, 11:33 am I would have added Time On My Hands to Release
Why not. Neil has stated himself that as far as the 01-04 era goes one is free to mix an album of choice from the massive amount of songs recorded and released. I would prefer Between 2 Islands (one of their best songs ever) but it has external song writing credit.
----
You've got me all wrong

telys

#4 Post by telys »

For Fundamental The Resurrectionist would also work as a concept within the concept together with Casanova in Hell
----
You've got me all wrong