Battleship Potemkin - True, accurate sync

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
themgnt

Re: Battleship Potemkin - True, accurate sync

#16 Post by themgnt »

Thanks everyone for your kind words about my work on this. I strived to make it 'right'.

I certainly don't blame N&C for releasing an edited version on CD. What they said in Literally is exactly right - it's a 9 minute track where five minutes of it is essentially the same four bars repeated over and over and over with small variations. If you were listening to this at home this would be the track you skip. Every time.

But it would have been nice if there was some sort of release with their full score paired with the film, a limited edition CD/DVD set. I'd imagine there would need to be some arrangement with Image Entertainment to use their version of the film, but I honestly don't know how that works. I mean, I doubt I could take the Kino HD restoration and release it on my own without a score and not expect some legal trouble.

It's entirely possible they never actually recorded the complete score for Men and Maggots, and only recorded exactly what we hear on the CD, which would make releasing it with the film impossible. Maybe they just never thought to do it.

It can be two things

#17 Post by It can be two things »

Thank you for this. I can finally watch the film again. For added “live” authenticity, I’m going to hold up an inadequate umbrella whilst being sprayed with a light splashing of water.
Let me know if you need anyone tall to stand in front of you, forcing you to stand on tiptoe throughout.

y3potential

#18 Post by y3potential »

Watched this last night. Excellent ! Thank you for the time and effort it must have taken you to put this together.. :clap: :clap:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

markrobertnolan

#19 Post by markrobertnolan »

Thank you so much for going to all this effort. I really appreciate it as someone who was in Trafalgar Square on that rainy Sunday in September, 2004. It was quite spectauclar at the time with the introduction, the actors and the projections on all these historical buildings. It is a shame that PSB and the Institute of Contemporary Arts weren't able to licence Eisenstein's film but it is also rather sad reading some of these entittled emails registering dscontent about it. It was beyond their control. Thanks to you, you have breathed life in to a beuatiful piece of musical and cinematic art.
Last edited by markrobertnolan on Wed 10 Jun 2020, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greendrake

#20 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog

#21 Post by Dog »

Greendrake wrote:
markrobertnolan wrote: Wed 10 Jun 2020, 11:13 am It is a shame that PSB and the Institute of Contemporary Arts weren't able to licence Eisenstein's film
Do you have any info on that e.g. they actually tried and failed?
It seems a bit weird as there apparently were no issues with showing the film to live audience.
There were a couple of references in Literally to problems with the rights they were trying to address but no further detail.
Woof.

toasterinthebath

#22 Post by toasterinthebath »

Dear themgnt,
You are a hero!
Thank you.

herts101

#23 Post by herts101 »

Thank you so much themgnt!

Just watched this and what a treat. Loved the final “Music by Tennant/Lowe” card at the end!

Much easier to follow the storyline at home than when sheltering under an umbrella in Trafalgar Square!

Just brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Offender

#24 Post by Young Offender »

Thank you for your hard work, I've always liked the soundtrack they did for this, some great moments and highlights, the lyrics to "Afterall" are almost fitting to what the U.S. is dealing with our governments (Trump and company) failures for the response to Covid -19 but that's a whole other topic.

seriously

#25 Post by seriously »

thanks you!
RadioPunchBoil: The Future is 1982

coufy

#26 Post by coufy »

Hard work! I wanted to do it myself, now a don't heave to. Thanx.
And don't forget this one: https://player.vimeo.com/video/25558529 ... _id=122963
Pet Shop Boys Technology
www.pet-shop-boys.eu

themgnt

#27 Post by themgnt »

coufy wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020, 5:06 pm Hard work! I wanted to do it myself, now a don't heave to. Thanx.
And don't forget this one: https://player.vimeo.com/video/25558529 ... _id=122963
I didn't know about that one!!! I'll have to go through my sync points and see if I got them right! Thanks!

And thank you to everyone for your compliments. They mean a lot to me and I'm glad people are out there watching this.

Future Lover

#28 Post by Future Lover »

Thanks for sharing, coufy! I remember downloading a documentary with a bit of that recording, which I couldn't watch without subtitles, but that is perfection! Always thought it was so visually arresting.

joeythecat

#29 Post by joeythecat »

I really enjoyed watching this. Well done. I've wanted to see Potemkin like this for years.