Petition - please release The Lost Room

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Ghost within this house

Petition - please release The Lost Room

#1 Post by Ghost within this house »

Dear Neil & Chris,

First and foremost, I hope you are both keeping well during these strange and unprecedented times. For some reason that glorious verse of Up against it - scenes as slow as Pinter / Synchronise your watches / There's still time to kill - keeps coming to my mind, but perhaps even better would be: 'it's very nice but it's not what I'm used to / Time on my hands'....

Anyway, I digress.

In case you check in here, I wondered if, provided it isn't lost in some room somewhere, or on some hard drive somewhere else, you might consider releasing The Lost Room? I know that a song about locked down Austro-Hungarian youths bullying each other might capture the current zeitgeist rather too well, but it sounds intriguing, and I'm worried that for some reason it might never see the light of day.

I'm sure you've got it all under control, but just thought I'd ask.

And thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for Hotspot. It is a magical album. Hoping for a miracle and Burning the heather are two of the finest songs you have ever written; testament to your enduring brilliance!

Emotionally, after a bottle of Pinot Noir, I remain your eternally devoted

Ghost
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

daveid

Re: Petition - please release The Lost Room

#2 Post by daveid »

I'll add my name to this open letter (I had a disappointing Argentinian Malbec last night) It's very odd that this song never saw the light of day. It wasn't just an unfinished demo, it was one of the 14 songs recorded properly for the Super album (the other one left off the album is In bits.) Why it wasn't a b side in 2016 could perhaps be explained by them deciding it would be better for the next album, but this obviously didn't happen. So what's going on? And there's also a jazz version too.

dbaseboy

#3 Post by dbaseboy »

Consider my name added. Echo the sentiments as not only would love to hear but had a luscious Californian Malbec last night too. #staysafe

dbaseboy

#4 Post by dbaseboy »

Consider my name added. Echo the sentiments as not only would love to hear but had a luscious Californian Malbec last night too. #staysafe - double post - please delete thanks

daveid

#5 Post by daveid »

Looks like the lost room is a wine cellar full of alcoholic petheads.

rashomon

#6 Post by rashomon »

I don’t get all the extra fuss that this unreleased track gets ...

I mean what is meant to be so special about The Lost Room as opposed to any other unreleased track?

I should state that I’m a teetotaller so that might explain my ambivalent attitude

Hmmm...
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Ghost within this house

#7 Post by Ghost within this house »

I think it's the intriguing title, coupled with the fact it was recorded and ready to go for Super.

Add in the 'Jazz version' and you have something that is probably quite substantial.

I suspect there might be a Disco 3 style 'Price offcuts' EP coming at some point... or maybe as bonus tracks for some sort of Trilogy deluxe edition?

Until then, I'm very happy with Hotspot!

Ghost within this house

#8 Post by Ghost within this house »

Plus, there was that article (Attitude, perhaps?) when Super was released, where Neil spoke specifically about The Lost Room...

NotInvisible

#9 Post by NotInvisible »

Ghost within this house wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020, 11:07 pm
In case you check in here
If they checked here they would never record anything again!

cupoftea

#10 Post by cupoftea »

If they see this as well I wonder if they could pay off the balance of my mortgage, oh I had a divine Puligny Montrachet 1992 last night.

leesmapman

#11 Post by leesmapman »

The song will come out at one time. I'm sure of it. Probably when Super Further Listening comes out.

Greendrake

#12 Post by Greendrake »

NotInvisible wrote:
Sun 17 May 2020, 4:29 pm
If they checked here they would never record anything again!
They would have grown skin thick enough to not be hurt by anything here. Monitoring what fans think of you is pretty sensible thing to do for an artist.

Petition-wise, I think we could start some proper ones on proper platforms (change.org or whatever). I would petition for the release of all stems/multitracks.

daveid

#13 Post by daveid »

rashomon wrote:
Sun 17 May 2020, 1:12 pm
I don’t get all the extra fuss that this unreleased track gets ...

I mean what is meant to be so special about The Lost Room as opposed to any other unreleased track?

I should state that I’m a teetotaller so that might explain my ambivalent attitude

Hmmm... Image
The fuss is because it was recorded as part of a batch of songs for an album and then not released. It's also for a pretty intriguing and oddly creepy title.