Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
E-Mail Vampire

Re: The Problems With Hotspot

#586 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

Tenlow wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:16 pm
E-Mail Vampire wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:48 pm If we are ranking Hotspot, for me it is the worst of the 3 Stuart Price albums.
One first listen I thought it was the worst album that they have made but with a few listens I would say it is better than Please, Introspective and a Elysium at least.
The difference in taste is quite astonishing, really. I still can't believe that some people would rank Please AND Introspective as two of their worst albums. Amazing.

In theory Introspective should be one of my favourites as it had such a strong singles run, but there is just something about it that leaves me cold. Please is good but I prefer other albums and I think other albums have stronger album tracks. Elysium is only saved by 1 fantastic single (Leaving) 2 great album tracks (Face Like That & Requiem) and strong design theme.

With Hotspot, I LOVE Will-O-The-Wisp after initially despairing at the title before hearing it. Such a strong melody, love the story and love the sound of the U1 that transport me back to Berlin on one of my numerous visits to a city I adore.
You Are The One - such a poor, weak and inspiring track. Should have left it on Super’s cutting room floor. By another act, it might have worked and been a strong candidate but from the boys it feels lacklustre.
Happy People just about works. The intro needs tightening up but this will probably be done when it gets a Radio edit/single versions.
Dreamland - love the song after having reservations about the teaming up with Olly.
Hoping For A Miracle - I actually like it for what it is. Inoffensive, filler.
I Don’t Wanna - hmm sometimes I like it sometimes I don’t.
Monkey Business - ADORE this. Single of the year! Their best single for me since I Don’t Know What You Want...
Only The Dark - I feel I should like it as the intro is great but there is something about it that I can’t gel with. I can’t put my finger on what though.
Burning The Heather - this has grown on me massively
Wedding In Berlin - this should not have been on the album. It does not work. They should have left it as a wedding present and has An Open Mind or Decide instead. It feels messy and sticks out like a sore thumb.

I don’t like album design either. The album doesn’t fit the other two album trilogy covers and the U-bahn theme would have been stronger. Having spent a lot of time in Berlin, aside from Will-o-the-wisp it doesn’t feel like a Berlin album.

alig

#587 Post by alig »

Another peeve: just 42 minutes.
"John 3:16."

Effen Vida

#588 Post by Effen Vida »

alig wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020, 6:24 pm Another peeve: just 42 minutes.
It’s not the length that counts, it’s the girth.
And Hotspot is well girthy.

alig

#589 Post by alig »

Effen Vida wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020, 6:27 pm
It’s not the length that counts, it’s the girth.
And Hotspot is well girthy.
That's what she said!
"John 3:16."

ArtHist

#590 Post by ArtHist »

They could have made it shorter- by ditching Wedding in Berlin. I'd have lived with that.

gehegu

#591 Post by gehegu »

Just listened to super tonight and, apart from into thin air, the dictator decides and sad robot world I can’t see anything at hotspot level...At least that’s my impression. On the other hand Electric is an awesome album and absolutely compatible with hotspot as they’re so different.

MikeyC

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#592 Post by MikeyC »

Happy people would make a cool live mash-up with It’s alright!! I sort of sing the two together in my head. 😎

jules

#593 Post by jules »

Only the dark would have been a totally perfect ending for the album, and the trilogy.

glennjridge

#594 Post by glennjridge »

I hope we get a couple more B-sides by the time this is all over. be nice to round out Hot spot with a couple tunes that might be to some of our liking. I wonder if they commented on at rock bottom in any of their diarys.

Lleonard Pler

#595 Post by Lleonard Pler »

My main issue with the album is Wedding in Berlin, but they seem to like tacky songs to finish otherwise good albums: Saturday night forever, Legacy and the Elysium closer (I don't even remember the title) come to mind.

I switched it with Decide on my Spotify playlist and it really works as the final number of Hotspot. Dark but uplifting, political but not too much, ambiguous, just like the rest of the album.

I don't care that much about Dreamland, although it kind of sounds out of place, like from a totally different project.

Marie loves PSB

#596 Post by Marie loves PSB »

ArtHist wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020, 7:23 pm
They could have made it shorter- by ditching Wedding in Berlin. I'd have lived with that.
They have ruined it by putting that on there. :down:

moxlox

#597 Post by moxlox »

Oh for me Hotspot is a rather fantastic album.

Monkey Business (I can't stop moving) and Burning the Heather (sublime) the stand outs. Closely followed by Happy People and Hoping for a Miracle. Love it all, with the misstep for me being Only the Dark which I find boring.

I love Dreamland and I like Wedding in Berlin. I am surprised Dreamland isn't well liked.

Of the trilogy: Electric > Hotspot > Super.

Super had the most missteps and filler, but also ahem-super high points. Electric is awesome. Hotspot I haven't stopped listening to since Friday; I got in at 4pm and listened to it 4 times that evening.

I agree Decide should have been on there somewhere; for me replacing Only the Dark though in a different place, but I know others really like that track.
Circuses and Bread

moxlox

#598 Post by moxlox »

....And.....can we change this thread title to "The Opinions of Hotspot"? As it is an opinion it has a problem, and the majority here to me seem to like it. :dance:
Circuses and Bread

y3potential

#599 Post by y3potential »

moxlox wrote: Wed 29 Jan 2020, 1:15 pm ....And.....can we change this thread title to "The Opinions of Hotspot"? As it is an opinion it has a problem, and the majority here to me seem to like it. :dance:

Yes. I find little wrong with Hotspot. Certainly no "problems", anyway..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

markus

#600 Post by markus »

Wonderful album! Love it more by each listen. Can't believe they still got it. No one makes music worth listening anymore except for Pet shop boys.