Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Which Hotspot instrumental (2nd disc) is your favourite?

Will-O-the-Wisp
34%
You Are The One
2%
Happy People
11%
Dreamland
5%
Hoping For A Miracle
18%
I Don't Wanna
2%
Monkey Business
9%
Only The Dark
9%
Burning The Heather
2%
Wedding in Berlin
7%

Total votes: 44

Greendrake

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#46 Post by Greendrake » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 3:46 am

Sage wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 3:26 am
I'd buy Hotspot again if it were available in STEMS.
Juno Download and other digital music sellers offer the format alongside the well known formats.
I'd re-buy the whole PSB catalogue in stems (not an abbreviation I guess?) if it was available. The only publicly available PSB stems I can recall were Home and dry (released free for a remix competition) and Minimal (included as U-myx on the single release). Are there any other out there?
Only the duck can show you the stars!

bongsteve

Re: Your favourite Hotspot

#47 Post by bongsteve » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 5:54 am

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:07 am
Spittingcat wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:16 am
Do you mean that you think a woman can’t have a wife… or a woman can’t be respectable and have a wife at the same time?
Women certainly can have wives and be respectable at the same time. But come on — you know that interpretation doesn't fit in here.
The narrative is clearly about a man who used to go out with men openly, but "maybe" doesn't do it anymore and has "gone respectable with a wife" instead. I'm fairly certain Neil used the word "respectable" here referring to the fact that being gay was stigmatised (disreputable) in the past (and still is in many places in the world).
bongsteve wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:12 am
Given we have instrumental versions of Yes, Elysium, Electric and now Hotspot, were there ever instrumental releases for Fundamental or Super?
Nope. By the way, the instrumentals of Electric were likely not authentic (the audio spectrogram shows that they were pressed from mp3s, the disk was never officially mentioned, and also because releasing them as a promo, unlike instrumentals of the other albums, seems odd). They may have well been made with voice removal software, which I guess can do damn good job these days.
Thank you for the info re: Electric. I never remembered seeing them officially released so wasn't sure about that one.

Scottydog

#48 Post by Scottydog » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 8:30 am

glennjridge wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:11 am
onzio wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:53 am
Greendrake wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:45 am

its just my opinion, but I have no idea why if they are going to deploy trannies why said trannies always have to have such horrific looks on their faces, it looks macabre. if they are going to simulate men who dress like women, why cant they just get real women?! the problem is SOLVED. or even those dancers in their live show with their corny early 80's dance moves. I should know. I see enough of those shitty 80's movies like dancin 2 electric boogaloo.
There is so much I could say about comments on gay themed lyrics and the use of dancers in videos but this just is NOT the right place. However! Before you enrage an ever growing part of society even further please at least get your terms right. The dancer in the video is NOT a transvestite. There is a whole world of difference between a transvestite and a drag queen. Again this isn’t the place to explain that but just one more point before I go. You don’t need to be gay or even male to be a drag queen. 😡
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Scottydog

#49 Post by Scottydog » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 8:39 am

I’ve decided I can no longer listen to ABBA. The way those girls drone on about their failed heterosexual love affairs is just sickening.
OK I’ll stop now 😉.

Greendrake

#50 Post by Greendrake » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 8:48 am

Scottydog wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 8:39 am
I’ve decided I can no longer listen to ABBA.
Got ABBA instrumentals?
I still can listen to and even enjoy the vocal version of Will-o-the-wisp — never did I say I can't. But given the instrumental exists I would rather stick to it.
Only the duck can show you the stars!

Scottydog

#51 Post by Scottydog » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 8:58 am

Slower tracks mainly work better for me as instrumentals. Monkey Business is an exception. The instrumental enhances it’s glorious almost Chic like quality.
Only the Dark is my current favourite from this selection and I’m definitely hooked on the vocal version too.
I expected to like Burning the Heather more than I do but it seems to take a while to get going without Neil singing along.

Future Lover

#52 Post by Future Lover » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 9:11 am

Wish this forum had moderators who care enough to remove such ignorant comments. Imagine using the word "tranny" unironically in 2020.
We get it, some of you are old and/or straight and/or privileged and/or from a homophobic country, but one would EXCEPT you get to expand your views listening to a band of two gay men who clearly stand against sexism, homophobia, racism, transphobia, HIV panic and what have you. Or do you just see that they're white and male and that's the aspect you choose to accept?
Thank you for pointing that out, Scottydog, but this is EXACTLY the place where we should discuss these things. Imagine being intolerant of sexual minorities on a Pet Shop Boys forum.

Scottydog

#53 Post by Scottydog » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 9:16 am

Future Lover wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 9:11 am
Wish this forum had moderators who care enough to remove such ignorant comments. Imagine using the word "tranny" unironically in 2020.
We get it, some of you are old and/or straight and/or privileged and/or from a homophobic country, but one would EXCEPT you get to expand your views listening to a band of two gay men who clearly stand against sexism, homophobia, racism, transphobia, HIV panic and what have you. Or do you just see that they're white and male and that's the aspect you choose to accept?
Thank you for pointing that out, Scottydog, but this is EXACTLY the place where we should discuss these things. Imagine being intolerant of sexual minorities on a Pet Shop Boys forum.
:clap:

Sandy Shaw

#54 Post by Sandy Shaw » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:50 pm

Greendrake wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 2:40 am
Spittingcat wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:25 am
Have you never loved and lost? Never thought about what someone from your past is doing now, when seeing them again for the first time in a long time? Never pondered how as we get older our lives and paths all change? Or, for that matter, have you never wanted to listen to a song that isn’t about the life you know?
That angle works indeed. But the explicitness of the story being man-to-man adversely interferes with it and disturbs my perception to the point where I am better off imagining my own story while listening to the instrumental.
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 8:21 pm
Why Dreamland? Is it because there are two gay singers? The lyrics don’t seem particularly offensive to homophobes.
Not really accepting your inference of me being a homophobe, but that's off-topic.

The reason Dreamland (instrumental) works much better for me has nothing to do with the lyrics or sexual orientation of the singers. It's the creative input of Mr Alexander. His voice is definitely not my cup of tea. I especially dislike the way he sings "It’s a kind of amnesia where all problems seem to disappear": such a far-fetched pathetic effort to squeeze a piece of harmonic melody out of himself. I feel ashamed for PSB to have allowed that. The instrumental feels much more harmonically coherent.
I'm actually glad that you stayed and contributed to the debate about Will-o-the-wisp, Greendrake. In a way the lyric is doing its job for you as it's pushing some of your buttons - which art can do. Maybe even when you play the instrumental in future, the image of the man in the leather cap will intrude!

Forum members may not realise that according to a Times interview:

As it transpires, Will-o-the-wisp does not concern a cruising, leather-clad Tom of Finland type at all, but a former boyfriend of the great English chronicler of Weimar-era Berlin, Christopher Isherwood.

I love Olly singing 'It’s a kind of amnesia where all problems seem to disappear' - for me it's an absolute highlight of the song!
In fact I want to have a listen to all the Years and Years own stuff on the back of that one line now. But we can agree to differ on this one.
What's for supper?

gehegu

#55 Post by gehegu » Fri 31 Jan 2020, 9:44 pm

I’ve really enjoyed listening to the instrumentals. I think I’ve only listened to Elysium’s instrumentals once but I find these one definitely better. IMHO

leesmapman

#56 Post by leesmapman » Fri 31 Jan 2020, 10:15 pm

I particularely love the Dreamland instrumental, you can hear the tingling noises in the 2nd verse much better

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

the8thark

#57 Post by the8thark » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:29 pm

gehegu wrote:
Fri 31 Jan 2020, 9:44 pm
I’ve really enjoyed listening to the instrumentals. I think I’ve only listened to Elysium’s instrumentals once but I find these one definitely better. IMHO
Have you listened to the Yes Instrumentals? They might be more to your taste as you prefer the Hotspot Instrumentals over the Elysium Instrumentals.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

leesmapman

#58 Post by leesmapman » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 3:47 pm

I noticed some vocals can be heard on the instrumentals

gehegu

#59 Post by gehegu » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 4:51 pm

the8thark wrote:
Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:29 pm
gehegu wrote:
Fri 31 Jan 2020, 9:44 pm
Have you listened to the Yes Instrumentals? They might be more to your taste as you prefer the Hotspot Instrumentals over the Elysium Instrumentals.
No, I didn’t have the chance. Is there anywhere I could find them?

retrofuturist

#60 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:20 am

I finally get to vote in this poll, with my 2CD arriving in the post today.

Although Will-O-The-Wisp is my favourite song from the album, my favourite instrumental is Monkey Business.

Without all the versus, with no shouty Neil, no vocoder Chris and no other monkey business going on, it sounds for all the world like late 70's / early 80's Deodato. Brilliant stuff. :up: