Why do PSB use a cover version like a closing song in concerts and they never have used "Suburbia" for that?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Why do PSB use a cover version like a closing song in concerts and they never have used "Suburbia" for that?

#1 Post by Nickname »

When Neil and Chris finish their concerts on tours, they try to find an anthemic and well known song to finish them. The most obvious closing songs are "Go West" and "Always on my Mind". Sometimes they use "West End Girls", "Being Boring" which don't work so fine (both are not fast songs) in my humble opinion.

I suppose people think a closing song has to be:

- Up tempo (to finish the song like a big party)
- Epic/anthemic (it works really fine to finish a concert)
- Well known (get almost everybody involved into the song because they know it)

So I think "Suburbia" could work really fine to finish their concerts, it's an epic anthemic emotive well known song and it works perfectly like a closing song. It's even a song written by Neil and Chris not a cover. It's even a song from the Imperial Phase.
Last edited by Nickname on Sat 02 Mar 2019, 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gehegu

Re: Why do PSB use a cover version like a closing song in concerts and they never have used "Suburbia" for that?

#3 Post by gehegu »

You nailed it Jules! You can say “you are always on my mind” to the audience or let them dream about where the skies are blue (go west) but I don’t think the audience will be very interested in visiting the suburbia. I think that, from now on, a very good closing song (for all the reasons mentioned by nickname) would be... “vocal”

Nickname

Re: Why do PSB use a cover version like a closing song in concerts and they never have used "Suburbia" for that?

#5 Post by Nickname »

jules wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019, 7:32 pm Vocal is a perfect closer, especially with a long instrumental outro.

https://youtu.be/5tS_6Febmig
"Vocal" is a song nobody knows, except harcore PSB fans (not even casual PSB fans know it) and I don't think it is a good as "Suburbia". "Vocal" is basically like "It's Alright", which is not a PSB song.

I understand the lyrics doesn't match too much with a closer song but musically, it works perfectly.
Last edited by Nickname on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent doris

#6 Post by agent doris »

Vocal is the ultimate closing song. I told Neil they’d shot themselves in the foot as they’d never top that as as closer, and he agreed!!

MikeyC

#7 Post by MikeyC »

I agree that it works best when they use an uptempo track. Wasn't thrilled when they closed the Release Tour (at least the N. American version) with "You Choose"!!

York Minster

#8 Post by York Minster »

That was the only time ever I left the audience during a PSB show. They started playing You Choose and I left to get some merch before the crowd hit. I know the Release tour was different and they were playing more "rock" tracks, but it was still a weak setlist. Birthday Boy AND LIAC is just too much downer strummy for one show.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

York Minster

#9 Post by York Minster »

They don't do intermissions anymore do they? I don't remember the last three shows having one. But Nightlife and Fundamental did. Release was pretty short so I don't think they did one there.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

agent doris

#10 Post by agent doris »

York Minster wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 9:48 am That was the only time ever I left the audience during a PSB show. They started playing You Choose and I left to get some merch before the crowd hit. I know the Release tour was different and they were playing more "rock" tracks, but it was still a weak setlist. Birthday Boy AND LIAC is just too much downer strummy for one show.
I loved LIAC on that tour!!!

domino

#11 Post by domino »

What‘s about Domino Dancing or Heart?
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

DJ Pat

#12 Post by DJ Pat »

MikeyC wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 2:38 am I agree that it works best when they use an uptempo track. Wasn't thrilled when they closed the Release Tour (at least the N. American version) with "You Choose"!!
The show closer was ''Here'' where I saw it

Almost medium tempo I suppose

agent doris

#13 Post by agent doris »

DJ Pat wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 6:26 am
MikeyC wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 2:38 am I agree that it works best when they use an uptempo track. Wasn't thrilled when they closed the Release Tour (at least the N. American version) with "You Choose"!!
The show closer was ''Here'' where I saw it

Almost medium tempo I suppose
Where was that? Heard them play it in Newcastle, but that’s the only place on the UK tour...

DJ Pat

#14 Post by DJ Pat »

Last show on the tour in Bangkok, Aug 1st '02

I asked Chris at their hotel about it being the last night, I said, anything extra? he said ''oh go on then we might add Here at the end'' as if it was a favour!!

He was in a good mood

Remark

#15 Post by Remark »

nickname wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019, 8:01 pm
jules wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019, 7:32 pm Vocal is a perfect closer, especially with a long instrumental outro.

https://youtu.be/5tS_6Febmig
"Vocal" is a song nobody know, except harcore PSB fans (not even casual PSB fans know it) and I don't think it is a good as "Suburbia". "Vocal" is basically like "It's Alright", which is not a PSB song.

I understand the lyrics don't match too much with a closer song but musically, it works perfectly.
Vocal IS the perfect closer for sure. "Casual PSB fans" do know the track (although I know what you're implying...that it wasn't a hit from the imperial phase), but every time I've seen Vocal at every show it's been performed, every person is on their feet and going crazy dancing. Besides, it was the closing song on most of (if not the entire) Electric tour so this point has already been proven that it is a great choice.