2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Marie loves PSB

Re: 2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

#16 Post by Marie loves PSB »

TwizzleUK wrote: Sun 23 Dec 2018, 12:15 pm
Scottydog wrote: Sun 23 Dec 2018, 9:37 am I can’t remember who it was but there was a singer on BBC Radio 2 recently who was talking about their own DVD release. They said that because of how their show was filmed it was only suitable for DVD and not Blu-ray. I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe it could be converted in the same way as older films have been but I suppose there would be more cost.
In that example it could mean only a standard definition camera was used for filming, so no point putting it on Bluray unless a high definition camera was used. When they convert old films they go back to the original 35mm analogue film stock and digitally rescan it at higher definition - something you can't do with old digital footage, as there's no extra quality to glean out of it. Now we're up to 8k resolution, even 35mm filmstock isn't suitable for going back to - the first couple of movies being broadcast in 8k so far are '2001 A Space Oddessey' and 'My Fair Lady', both of which were filmed using 65mm stock.

Having said that, I'd be very surprised if 'Inner Sanctum' wasn't filmed in HD. Maybe it's just cheaper manufacturing DVDs. Some Bluray players 'upscale' DVDs to enhance their quality somehow (don't know that I've ever noticed they difference though) .

At least if it's only DVD it'll be much easier ripping the audio from it to play on my iPod gaplessy (as Ive done with all other live DVDs). Have yet to work out a way of ripping audio from Bluray - any suggestions?

I didn't know about all of this TwizzleUK.

lucienchardon

#17 Post by lucienchardon »

Looks like 2019 will be a great year. New Annually, DVD of Inner Sanctum and new album! Can't wait.

oakey

#18 Post by oakey »

Everything is now being recorded in HD if not 4K. But in this era of declining physical sales they may stick to DVD as that is the only video format that has gained wide popularity, plus a digital format like iTunes that will be in HD. Bluray never got mainstream, and 4K UHD is even more of a niche. We can only hope for a multiple-format release, but it will probably be just a DVD, just like the recent Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Simply Red and Bowie releases.
Last edited by oakey on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wish

#19 Post by Wish »

I hope for DVD+2CD pack.

oakey

#20 Post by oakey »

Wish wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:32 pm I hope for DVD+2CD pack.
That is probably what it's going to be. Stand-alone DVD releases don't sell either anymore.

canveyboy

#21 Post by canveyboy »

oakey wrote: Wed 26 Dec 2018, 3:04 pm
Wish wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:32 pm I hope for DVD+2CD pack.
That is probably what it's going to be. Stand-alone DVD releases don't sell either anymore.
They haven’t said anything about it being a CD also. They’ve always just said DVD. If it was their intention to release it as a live album also then I’m pretty sure they would have made that clear right from the start, as they did with the Pandemonium package.

I expect a DVD only.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Wish

#22 Post by Wish »

Actually in last Annually they said that ROH shows will be filmed for future DVD/Blu-ray release. So anything can happen.

pepesilva

#23 Post by pepesilva »

All videos are filmed and edited in HD (1080p) these days. Some even in 4K. The pandemonium tour was shown on Sky Arts in a shorter version in HD. It's the same here; a shorter version is shown on TV (3sat) and then a DVD is sold in stores. I personally think DVD quality is unacceptable these days. But at least we get to download the shorter version in HD from YouTube

romy

#24 Post by romy »

For all of you,who can't understand the german forum:

The DVD will contain the Rio -Concert as a bonus.

Future Lover

#25 Post by Future Lover »

OOOOOOOOOOOOoh. AMAZING NEWS!

NikacP0kac

#26 Post by NikacP0kac »

romy wrote: Fri 18 Jan 2019, 9:55 pm For all of you,who can't understand the german forum:

The DVD will contain the Rio -Concert as a bonus.
Link please?
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Xakrij

#27 Post by Xakrij »

Hello...

https://www.petheads.de/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9077

See Post #14 as translated & quoted below:

The FSK audited and released the recording on January 14, 2019.

In addition to the concert in the ROH - about 105 minutes - there will be the TV recording from Rio (2017) - about 60 minutes.

A DVD was submitted for the exam.

https://www.spio-fsk.de/?seitid=550&tid=70&vvid=127631

The release card: https://www.spio-fsk.de/asp/fskkarte.asp?vvid=127631

The release of the video is not bound to the disk format if the content remains the same.

The TV recording Rio 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCWG2EdNAg

Of course, would be nice if Mr. Tennant could also organize the recording of the Teenage Cancer Trust concert on CD.
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Harry

#28 Post by Harry »

This is exciting! I’m hoping they announce this soon.

Does anyone know how long the actual show was? 105 minutes sounds about right. I’m really hoping they haven’t left anything out. ‘The Enigma’, for example, is one of my favourite bits.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

alig

#29 Post by alig »

oakey wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:06 pm Everything is now being recorded in HD if not 4K. But in this era of declining physical sales they may stick to DVD as that is the only video format that has gained wide popularity, plus a digital format like iTunes that will be in HD. Bluray never got mainstream, and 4K UHD is even more of a niche. We can only hope for a multiple-format release, but it will probably be just a DVD, just like the recent Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Simply Red and Bowie releases.
Surprisingly, the bluray sales have not been declining, though stats are difficult to come by. Hopefully, a bluray will be released.
"John 3:16."

oakey

#30 Post by oakey »

alig wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019, 1:27 pm
oakey wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:06 pm Everything is now being recorded in HD if not 4K. But in this era of declining physical sales they may stick to DVD as that is the only video format that has gained wide popularity, plus a digital format like iTunes that will be in HD. Bluray never got mainstream, and 4K UHD is even more of a niche. We can only hope for a multiple-format release, but it will probably be just a DVD, just like the recent Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Simply Red and Bowie releases.
Surprisingly, the bluray sales have not been declining, though stats are difficult to come by. Hopefully, a bluray will be released.
They have, peak year for bluray was 2013, since then it's downhill: https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/dvd-bluray ... ra-passing

The market share of bluray in the physical disc market is stable, but the physical market as a whole shrinks: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... ecast-2023