PSB & Tracey

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
bookshopboy

Re: PSB & Tracey

#16 Post by bookshopboy » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

She's brilliant. I love this time of year when I can play her Tinsel & Lights album constantly.

psbnyc

#17 Post by psbnyc » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 8:44 pm

I would love a collaboration - Dancefloor is possibly my favorite track of the year!

tottenhammattspurs

#18 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Mon 17 Dec 2018, 3:26 am

Her “Record” album is my highlight of the year.
is is and isnt isnt

minimal

#19 Post by minimal » Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:15 am

ArtHist wrote:
Sat 15 Dec 2018, 4:02 pm
minimal wrote:
Sat 15 Dec 2018, 2:34 pm
Tracey's alright but I'd prefer them to collaborate with someone more interesting and contemporary...

m+
I always think that's a bit band-wagon jumping and desperate. Older established acts such as the Boys getting involved with Years & Years is like Madonna hitching her wagon to the latest twentysomething rapper or r'n'b artist- desperate. A Tracey Thorn and PSB collab sounds like a meeting of minds rather than bank balances.
So, does it always neccessarily have to be "band-wagon jumping and deperate" when artists who are longer in the game collaborate with more contemporary and recent artists? I don't think so. It could or might look this way, but that needn't necessarily be the case. It depends on how the collaboration is handled and brought about. I, for one, wouldn't say no to a collab with Tracey, but on the other hand I'd also appreciate a get together with Years & Years - and if it's only to see how that works. Ideally, older and newer generations of listeners learn from each other and get to know new music. And I don't even talk about becoming fans... Neil "recently" wore a Maison Kitsune sweathirt in the IV video clips accompanying the release of the Nightlife, Release and Fundamntal FLs. There's pleny of excellent music released on that label. I'd surely appreciate them working with Maison Kitsune and at least in my humble opionion that would be way more interesting than a collab with Tracey as it's not that much foreseeable. Just to give you one example. If it was up to me (which clearly is not the case, I know) they'd leave the comfort zone of Berlin, Price etc. and move on to make a Cologne-scene inspired record. At least if it comes to Germany the most exciting new electronic music comes from Cologne. PSB working with Coma or Roosevelt as collabs or even producers would be a dream come true. Then again I'm endlessly waiting for that dark, truly minimal electronic record PSB have been talking about for ages. I'd love that. Just go ahead. Maybe if that's about to happen Trentemoller would be an interesting choice. I don't mind PSB getting back to Tracey, Sumner, Marr etc. but apart from writing about music and culture I'm a contemporary music listener so collabs with more recent artists just seem more interesting to me. At the end of the day my words won't matter at all as they will do things their way as they've always done - which is part of the reason why I still love them. Unfortunately, "their way" has been quite boring for quite some time now. So: Move on.

m+

ArtHist

#20 Post by ArtHist » Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:59 am

^^^^^^ Hi Neil, you staying in the UK for Christmas? ; )

daveid

#21 Post by daveid » Wed 19 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

I love Tracy Thorn's voice and EBTG. Wouldn't it be amazing to have a duet between Neil and her? She could be the male and Neil could be the girl just like The Communards Don't Leave Me This Way

tottenhammattspurs

#22 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 1:15 pm

Tracy Thorn. Alison Goldfrap. Roisin Murphy. Pet Shop Boys. Now that’s a collaboration album!
is is and isnt isnt

Future Lover

#23 Post by Future Lover » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 4:25 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Fri 21 Dec 2018, 1:15 pm
Alison Goldfrap. Roisin Murphy.
Too bad these two seem like they're insufferable and they'd probably think PSB are too uncool or something.