30 YEARS OF INTROSPECTIVE

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

30 YEARS OF INTROSPECTIVE

#1 Post by Nickname »

An article in Spanish about the album:
https://jenesaispop.com/2018/10/11/3432 ... -5-claves/

I remember listening to Domino Dancing and thinking it sounded awful for me but then discover the second single Left to my own Devices and becabe a fan, I love the song. At that time the Neil's voice sounded to me a bit gay, I wasn't wrong, hehehe.

Happy times.

rashomon

Re: 30 YEARS OF INTROSPECTIVE

#3 Post by rashomon »

Even now the Left to my own devices video leaves me feeling cold.

Has to be the biggest gulf in PSB song quality compared to promotional video ... discuss! (actually I might chuck this over to Wayne to run a poll :lol: )
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Pod

#4 Post by Pod »

Wow! 30 years? That has flown by. I remember buying it on cassette (which I still have) in Morrisons in Scarborough. I got it back to my Aunt’s house (I was staying there) and put it on. My first feeling was confusion - I wasn’t sure if the right tape had been put in as all I was hearing was classical music. However, I’ll never forget that hit of adrenalin when the first beats of Left to my own devices hit my ears - just fantastic. As the album progressed I was engrossed - I still adore the version of Always on my mind / in my house, which for me is the definitive version. It’s Alright was also fantastic, taking its cue from the house scene at the time. I absolutely love Introspective (just look at my avatar) and it is still one of my all time favourite PSB albums.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

East End Bhoy

#5 Post by East End Bhoy »

Not just one of my favourite PSB albums, it's one of my favourite albums of all time. Listening to the 7" singles was like watching a great film on tv, Introspective was like watching the same film at the Cinema. absolutely epic!
Last edited by East End Bhoy on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991-Glasgow, 1999-Glasgow, 2002-Edinburgh, 2006-Newcastle, 2007-Manchester, 2009-Manchester, 2009-Glasgow, 2014-Glasgow, 2016-London, 2017-Glasgow, 2022-Glasgow, 2023-Aberdeen

rashomon

#6 Post by rashomon »

Great description East End Bhoy !

I think due to it's unusual format of six long running tracks it's often overlooked and doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I never get bored of listening to this Introspective and I always seem to play it through from start to finish. It's a timeless album with and every track offers something different yet it all works perfectly as a composite. The cover artwork, the pics of Neil with his little terrier, Chris with his hat ... oh it's all just perfect.

Masterpiece.

p.s. I still want a dog ... but the Mrs still says no :roll:
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Nickname

#7 Post by Nickname »

rashomon wrote:
Buy it!, a chihuahua.

It's funny because a lovely song like Bounce was going to be part of Introspective and it wasn't even a B-side. Some fans used to tell they knew about the existence of the song and they had listened to it. Many people thought the song didn't exist but they were in a mistake. Bounce is a really good song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdH55PEiq1M
Last edited by Nickname on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gary1962

#8 Post by Gary1962 »

nickname wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018, 10:39 pm
rashomon wrote:
Buy it!, a chihuahua.

It's funny because a lovely song like Bounce was going to be part of Introspective and it wasn't even a B-side. Some fans used to tell they knew about the existence of the song and they had hlistened to it. Many people thought the song didn't exit but they were in a mistake. Bounce is a really good song.

Never heard that track before, it's really good, can't understand why they didn't add it to the Introspective Further Listening CD.

The boys must really hate it!
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Nickname

#9 Post by Nickname »

Gary1962 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:07 am
nickname wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018, 10:39 pm
rashomon wrote:
Buy it!, a chihuahua.

It's funny because a lovely song like Bounce was going to be part of Introspective and it wasn't even a B-side. Some fans used to tell they knew about the existence of the song and they had hlistened to it. Many people thought the song didn't exit but they were in a mistake. Bounce is a really good song.

Never heard that track before, it's really good, can't understand why they didn't add it to the Introspective Further Listening CD.

The boys must really hate it!
Neil liked it the song, he thought it was quite good (or something like that) on the Introspective furteher listenings booklet.

Ghost within this house

#10 Post by Ghost within this house »

I vividly remember getting my vinyl copy on the day of release, the first time I had done that with any band.

It was a magical experience. I remember looking at the white type on black background and thinking how smart and cool it was.

Possibly that was the day I truly entered the PSB universe....from which I have never escaped!
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

alig

#11 Post by alig »

First album I ever bought. I bought it on cassette. During Domino Dancing, I thought something was wrong with the tape but it was this amazing, chopping sound effect during the middle 8th. Still blows me away. Epic. The entire album sounds timeless and nothing like a typical 80s album.
"John 3:16."

TwizzleUK

#12 Post by TwizzleUK »

I'm surprised they've never played the Introspective version of 'Always On My Mind/In My House' live before - it'd make a cracking encore. Hope they get around to it someday. Imagine that build-up/crescendo towards the end where the single riff comes in played live..!

Undertaker

#13 Post by Undertaker »

I'm Not Scared should have been the lead single. It would have been their 5th number 1. Nailed on.

y3potential

#14 Post by y3potential »

Undertaker wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm I'm Not Scared should have been the lead single. It would have been their 5th number 1. Nailed on.
They may well have released it as the lead single had Eighth Wonder not released their version and had a hit with it a few months previously.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

York Minster

#15 Post by York Minster »

I'm Not Scared is like Fugitive. Top A level PSB, yes. But in edited form, without the intros, they lose much of their power.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys