Neil Tennant announces new book

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Marie loves PSB

Re: Neil Tennant announces new book

#16 Post by Marie loves PSB » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:34 am

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:00 am
£14.99 on Amazon. Yes.

£75 for a signed copy? No. Total pi55 take that price.
I agree! :up: When you order signed limited edition books "elsewhere" they are the same price as what the rest are. You could buy another concert ticket at that price. I will be passing at the signed limited edition one.

Marie loves PSB

#17 Post by Marie loves PSB » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:36 am

I would have preferred Neil Tennant's Autobiography! :up:

raggatwin

#18 Post by raggatwin » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:42 am

£16.50 for the event...about ten minutes from my gaff....i think i will give it a miss......
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

bookshopboy

#19 Post by bookshopboy » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:34 am
£14.99 on Amazon. Yes.

I agree! :up: When you order signed limited edition books "elsewhere" they are the same price as what the rest are. You could buy another concert ticket at that price. I will be passing at the signed limited edition one.
The limited edition being sold through the PSB shop is not the same as the regular edition being sold elsewhere. More expensive binding and a slipcase.

Marie loves PSB

#20 Post by Marie loves PSB » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 12:32 pm

bookshopboy wrote:
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm
Marie loves PSB wrote:
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:34 am
£14.99 on Amazon. Yes.

The limited edition being sold through the PSB shop is not the same as the regular edition being sold elsewhere. More expensive binding and a slipcase.
Yes - I can see why now lol.. To be honest I didn't bother reading the PSB's shop one until you metioned it. I won't be buying the expensive one.

ArtHist

#21 Post by ArtHist » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 1:08 pm

Their output these days seems to consist of autographed 'stuff'. I understand everyone needs a pension pot but I find all these re-releases, Further Listenings) and signed lithographs just a cynical ploy to fleece the diehards. I know no one is forcing anyone to buy these things but slapping a 'limited edition' tag onto a product doesn't necessarily mean it's a quality product. Their Catalogue book was definitely a worthwhile endeavour and no doubt lined the pockets of deserving individuals such as Eric Watson et al but this latest product.....meh.

bookshopboy

#22 Post by bookshopboy » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 2:07 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. It'll hopefully be a nice reappraisal of their lyrics. Not sure I can justify buying the limited edition but will try to get tickets for the interview.

Luke Colorado

#23 Post by Luke Colorado » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 2:52 pm

500 seems like too many for a profitable flip.... humm.... can't decide....
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

michael888

#24 Post by michael888 » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 3:20 pm

Preordered from Book Depository, which provides free worldwide shipping, without any shipping fiasco like the Annually 2018 once.

Simsonio

#25 Post by Simsonio » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 3:58 pm

bought it... then I thought - wtf. Will eagerly be waiting by my letterbox.

Pod

#26 Post by Pod » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 4:04 pm

Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:17 am
You could buy the regular book at the live discussion/signing for £14.99, add the ticket price of £16 on it, get it signed there and STILL have £44 to spare!!!
I can’t make that though...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Pod

#27 Post by Pod » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 4:14 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 1:08 pm
Their output these days seems to consist of autographed 'stuff'. I understand everyone needs a pension pot but I find all these re-releases, Further Listenings) and signed lithographs just a cynical ploy to fleece the diehards. I know no one is forcing anyone to buy these things but slapping a 'limited edition' tag onto a product doesn't necessarily mean it's a quality product. Their Catalogue book was definitely a worthwhile endeavour and no doubt lined the pockets of deserving individuals such as Eric Watson et al but this latest product.....meh.
I think you’re right and by my own admission I am one of those who buys it - rightly or wrongly. Mind you, I love that lithograph from yesterday at the ROH.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

joe stalin

#28 Post by joe stalin » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 4:23 pm

just picked up the limited edition... guess in hindsight it was a bit impulsive. Guess makes up for missing this years ROH performances.

ArtHist

#29 Post by ArtHist » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 4:32 pm

Pod wrote:
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 4:14 pm
ArtHist wrote:
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 1:08 pm
I think you’re right and by my own admission I am one of those who buys it - rightly or wrongly. Mind you, I love that lithograph from yesterday at the ROH.
I'm not judging the fans whatsoever but we'd all prefer new material- be it written, musical or performative. Producing a book of lyrics which have been accessible to everyone for years is like something a marketing team would come up with. They're at risk of becoming the George Lucas of music- exhausting pre-existing product to scrape the barrel for what is lucre rather than making an artistic statement.

fac23

#30 Post by fac23 » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 5:03 pm

Add me to the herd of impulse limited edition buyers. Not so sure this was a good idea now, some 5 minutes later. I like the general idea though.