Australian News Roundup

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Niall

Re: Australian News Roundup

#691 Post by Niall »

SIN wrote: Wed 25 Oct 2017, 12:23 am
Niall wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2016, 4:32 pm
the8thark wrote: We have a lot going for it here. But it's as much influenced by the US as it is influenced by the UK and Europe and everywhere else in the world. We are our own unique nation. A big mix of the rest of the world. No one nation has more influence here than any other. But each area has it''s own influences though. Visit different palces in Australia and you'll see how different they are.

If anyone wants to come here, don't expect a 2nd US or a 2nd UK. Expect a nice experience and you will get it.

Hope you can visit here again. Should be a nice time for you.

Thanks for that.
Well, I have to tell you that here in Perth, people aged 40 and under are heavily influenced by the US - the way many people speak mirrors what was once known as California English - eg use of the word 'like' as a filler word or as a substitute for 'said' - "And I was like, 'how can you like not listen to music'".
We must live in 2 different Perth's!
Really? Given the misuse of that apostrophe you may not quite pick up on the detail. ;-) I'm not wishing to come across as smart but there's a chance you may not realise the source of some of the influences. Speech patterns in Perth (and other Australian cities) are greatly influenced by the US. A few weeks ago on the bus, I heard a woman in her early twenties use "like" 16 times in a minute and a half. I deal with people who work in public relations everyday and hear "reaching out" in place of "get into contact with" far more often than I used to. Tell me how much you heard the ubiquitous "touching base" 10 years ago and think about where it came from. It's also far more common to hear people begin an answer to a question with the word "so". None of that originated in the UK or Europe.
Evertonians are born not manufactured.
We do not choose; we are chosen.
Those who understand need no explanation.
Those that don't understand don't matter.

retrofuturist

#692 Post by retrofuturist »

Anyone received the latest releases from the O/S yet? No sign here...
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Andie

#693 Post by Andie »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri 10 Nov 2017, 1:42 am Anyone received the latest releases from the O/S yet? No sign here...
Nothing here yet. I just checked how long the last lot of reissues took from the OS & they arrived on the Wednesday of the third week!! So I guess sometime next week :pray:
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Andie

#694 Post by Andie »

Andie wrote: Fri 10 Nov 2017, 8:11 am
retrofuturist wrote: Fri 10 Nov 2017, 1:42 am Anyone received the latest releases from the O/S yet? No sign here...
Nothing here yet. I just checked how long the last lot of reissues took from the OS & they arrived on the Wednesday of the third week!! So I guess sometime next week :pray:
The CD's arrived safely today!! :D
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

retrofuturist

#695 Post by retrofuturist »

Ditto. A couple of spindles broken on my Yes case, but nothing that renders it unusable.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Greendrake

#696 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantwww

#697 Post by grantwww »

Never say never. Neil was asking a question, not stating a fact.

dio2005

#698 Post by dio2005 »

They would love to come to Australia, but there just needs to be a promoter who will arrange this.

It’s pretty expensive to bring all their equipment here.

Piotrek

#699 Post by Piotrek »

There are some Pet Shop Boys bargains to be had on the Australian Amazon site:

Undertow 12" AU$10.43 https://www.amazon.com.au/UNDERTOW-LTD- ... 80&sr=8-10

One Hundred Lyrics Book AU$17.43 https://www.amazon.com.au/Hundred-Lyric ... 59&sr=8-38

I bought Dreamland 12" from Amazon AU for $17.48, but that is no longer available from Amazon only third party overseas sellers.
JB HiFi have the 12" single for $22.99, and if anyone is after it, JB will have 20% off on Wednesday (18/12).

I got the Dreamland CD single from Juno.co.uk which seems to be the cheapest with shipping. Came pretty quickly too.

retrofuturist

#700 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Piotrek,

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise Amazon.au had switched to being a real outlet, and not just a retailer of digital content, as they were when they launched... so I will be sure to keep an eye on it moving forward.

Retro. :)

Piotrek

#701 Post by Piotrek »

No problem.
If anyone is into physical media buying, there is a great thread here https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 15/page-55, where people post up to date bargains from Amazon AU.
I've bought some really great stuff at next to nothing. There have been many Pet Shop Boys bargains on there, including cheap Further Listening CDs and vinyl.

Paulo

#702 Post by Paulo »

Thanks for the update Piotrek

Piotrek

#703 Post by Piotrek »

Burning The Heather 7" vinyl is now available to order from Juno.co.uk. Around AU$20 with shipping: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/pet-sho ... 757927-01/

Amazon AU also have it available, but through third party sellers. Around AU$21 with shipping: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... OKSS&psc=1

Juno are more likely to package it better, as most of the big third party Amazon AU (Rarewaves etc.) sellers use flimsy bubble envelopes.

alig

#704 Post by alig »

Piotrek wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019, 12:44 pm Burning The Heather 7" vinyl is now available to order from Juno.co.uk. Around AU$20 with shipping: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/pet-sho ... 757927-01/

Amazon AU also have it available, but through third party sellers. Around AU$21 with shipping: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... OKSS&psc=1

Juno are more likely to package it better, as most of the big third party Amazon AU (Rarewaves etc.) sellers use flimsy bubble envelopes.
A bit off topic: When did aus amazon become a full retailer?
"John 3:16."

Piotrek

#705 Post by Piotrek »

alig wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019, 1:02 pm
Piotrek wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019, 12:44 pm Burning The Heather 7" vinyl is now available to order from Juno.co.uk. Around AU$20 with shipping: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/pet-sho ... 757927-01/

A bit off topic: When did aus amazon become a full retailer?
About two years ago.
The inventory is about a 10th of Amazon US, and most new releases are very late to arrive, but it's better than nothing. Initially in 2017 with the introduction of tax on imported good for individuals Aussies were geoblocked from shopping on Amazon's international sites. This has now been lifted for Amazon US. So between Amazon AU and US, a lot of music releases are well covered.