Inner Sanctum on the Radio (no bad, not being a single)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Inner Sanctum on the Radio (no bad, not being a single)

#1 Post by Nickname »

BBC 6 Music
10 plays

Capital FM
6 plays

Capital XTRA
1 plays

Radio 2
1 play

jamie1978

Re: Inner Sanctum on the Radio (no bad, not being a single)

#2 Post by jamie1978 »

the capital FM playlisting is interesting, considering they never normally play PSB tracks

Undertaker

#3 Post by Undertaker »

jamie1978 wrote:the capital FM playlisting is interesting, considering they never normally play PSB tracks
It is. They only seem to have about 4 songs on loop and they tend to be the top 4 dance hits.

Paninaro

#4 Post by Paninaro »

Undertaker wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:the capital FM playlisting is interesting, considering they never normally play PSB tracks
It is. They only seem to have about 4 songs on loop and they tend to be the top 4 dance hits.
I thought the four songs they played on a loop were Justin Bieber's latest three singles plus Jess Glynne's last one.

Nickname

#5 Post by Nickname »

Undertaker wrote:
Maybe, there is an agreement to promote the new PSB album because the 30 years of career. I don't know but it would be strange "Capital FM" promotes "Inner Sanctum" and they didn't do that with "The Pop Kids".

Zog

#6 Post by Zog »

It's because (as I mentioned) for the "serious dance set" it a bit of a mind-blowing track. Not only the extreme sub-bass, that has been excellently engineered... but also for the snobby "musos". The they can hear how the PSB have taken some dated trance elements (that they are "so above") and clearly thrashed the hell out if it. To that lot, it's hipster-irony at its finest (to be sarcastic)

You maybe think I'm over analyzing this, but I assure you I'm not. This has clearly has put the PSB firmy on "their radar".

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

DJ Pat

#7 Post by DJ Pat »

Still isn't gonna make me listen to that station and wait to hear it!!!
Capital Fm & Radio 1 are the shittest stations out there

Zog

#8 Post by Zog »

DJ Pat wrote:Still isn't gonna make me listen to that station and wait to hear it!!!
Capital Fm & Radio 1 are the shittest stations out there
I feel your pain. Same thing here but worse.

FYI (or TMI!)...

Although CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) has two radio stations, they don't have the budget to "a Radio One" (thank gawd). Anyway I'll be forever grateful to a CBC radio late night show "Night Lines", (with David Wisdom) for re-introducing me to the PSB (or seriously reintroducing me, if you catch my drift).

He was playing some new music at the time, and played the Bilingual version of "Discoteca". He didn't introduce it, but I instantly recognised that it was the PSB, and I was absolutely stunned by the track: the complexity, the sad hymlike chord/pad/string changes. And Neil, singing above this with a cool, laser-like tragic voice: almost detached, as an observer. The lyrics, although I didn't completely understand the true meaning upon first listen were clearly metaphoric and tragic. And then... then came the fantastic completely unexpected chord changes (with the Spanish lyrics). As I pulled over my car to listen with the volume up, it was clear to be that I was listening to genius.

The presenter, after the track had ended, simply said (and these were David Wisdom's exact words): "The Pet Shop boys, a force to be reckoned with."

How true. And thus began my journey into the complex. deep and wonderful world of the PSB. I have never looked back.

To be clear I liked them from the regular radio in the mid to late 80s (which I didn't make a habit of listening to much) , but my general focus was more on "so called" classical music, as a (lapsed) trained classical musician and having taken some composition at university (even though I ended up with a history degree, due more to utter laziness). I'm not saying my judgment is any better than anyone else here, but to this one tough-on-pop music critic (me!)... I knew genius when I heard it. And genius is what I heard on that dark rainy night in '96.

If you ever see the sheet music for Discoteca, it at first glace looks like something Bach would have written. I am referring to the the complexity and the counterpoint... not what the music ultimately sounds like!

(BTW, I have told this tale a few times on this forum. To those that have read it before, my apologies, but this is for the newer people :) )

-Zog
Last edited by Zog on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Stuff

Deschanel

#9 Post by Deschanel »

Loved reading this, Zog. Happy weekend. :)

TheMatrix

#10 Post by TheMatrix »

A friend of mine heard "Inner Sanctum" on satellite radio. She said it sounded really good.
Stay the course or change it up?

Hillbilly

#11 Post by Hillbilly »

On Swedish public service radio I captured "Love is a bourgeois construct" a few times. I think that was the first new PSB song to be played
since "I'm with stupid". I can't remember hearing any track from either Yes or Elysium, so probably I didn't!

Still "Always on my mind" is the most played PSB track on radio, followed by "Go West". To be honest it's very rare to hear another song than those two - covers as they are too...

Nickname

#12 Post by Nickname »

"Inner Sanctum" is Top 20 between the most played records this last month on Radio 6, no bad for a not single song.

Hillbilly

#14 Post by Hillbilly »

I heard "Pop Kids" being played on Swedish national radio today (at 9.38 am)! Great surprise, as normally the only PSB tracks you hear on radio are "Always on my mind" or "Go West".

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/latlista.a ... gramid=203

Zog

#15 Post by Zog »

This may come as a shock to many fans here (and believe me, I'm certainly one of the big fans)... BUT for many average listeners, the PSB now are, or can be an acquired taste. What sounds fab and normal
to us, does not always seem that way with the average listener.

Now before anyone starts getting too upset with me, let me say that this is not true of all PSB songs, BUT, I do think TPK is a very accessible song for many people, with a killer chorus, cool beats, and a narrative/lyrics that steer nicely between the overly simplistic and the overly ("Russian history-esque") complex.

Now, before anyone thinks, what the hell does this old guy (geez, did I just call my self old? sigh) think
he's talking about? How could he possibly know? The answer lies in my other profession: three words: "Nightshift Taxi Driver". I've been one for about 2 and a half decades, and even though I speak for Canadian audiences/passengers, I have over the years developed a very strong sense of what certain people/age groups, etc. like and dislike. I have always brought music to play in the cab and have a very clear idea of what "flies" and what doesn't. And even though I'm on leave at present I'm
about 90% sure that TPK would go over very well.

How do I check? If I'm not sure I put something at a reasonably low level. If a sizable percentage of my night bar/hopping passengers ask me to turn it up, I know that the PSB have hit the mark.

I know when to play remixes too and to which crowds. I've learned a lot about life (and music) from my profession (my other profession!)

-Zog
New Stuff