Premiere of 'A Man From The Future' at BBC Proms - 23/07/14

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
joe stalin

Re: Premiere of 'A Man From The Future' at BBC Proms - 23/07

#286 Post by joe stalin »

nickname wrote:It's like having sex with no orgasm.

It's not bad but it's like you were missing something
I'll stop you there. I will have to take your word for it

joepsb

#287 Post by joepsb »

billiejo wrote:I see the free programmes are quickly going up on e-bay - some for startling prices.
seen someone with about 100 after the show.
anyone got an mp3 of it for my ipod ?

Patrick Bateman

#288 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I've had the motif from Natural wonders every child should know in my head for the past couple of days; it's so beautiful.

wieske

#289 Post by wieske »

Last Wednesday I went to the Albert Hall as well (made the move from Brussels to London just to see the worldpremiere of "A Man From The Future").

What can I say about it...? Think AMFTF is just a masterpiece. Neil & Chris did it again!

The only "problem" is the fact that the piece is not that easy listening (think Battleship Potemkin was a lot more easier) so I'm not sure that an extended version of A Man From The Future will do very well when the boys bring it to the West End or to Broadway. The subject of the piece will not attract big audiences I'm affraid. I hope I'm wrong because this should be heard by everyone!
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

PopArt

#290 Post by PopArt »

Once again I sat there and watched PSB perform and was immensely proud of them. They are truly unique in modern pop music. What other act would have the nerve, or talent, to put out Elysium one year, Electric the next and the A man from the future the following year. Such diverse projects and each one of them excellent in their own very different ways.

I enjoyed A man from the future very much. It's not going to work as well as on CD (or for some of you, download) as Battleship Potemkin or The most incredible thing but as a piece of theatre it was brilliant. Intelligent, beautiful and genuinely moving in parts. Perhaps some of the words felt a little clunky but that is simply a minor comment on an otherwise amazing achievement for the boys.

I must say, I also looked at the sheer diversity of the audience- young, old, highbrow culture types, pop enthusiasts, gay, straight, Proms regulars, Proms first-timers- from all walks of life. A truly eclectic crowd all brought together by PSB. I don't think there are many acts who have such a diverse audience and that also made me proud of them.

A fantastic evening in every respect.
I'm always waiting...

minimalpsb

#291 Post by minimalpsb »

[Post removed by admin]
13th June 2014 Birmingham LG Arena///14th July 2014 Live at Sunset Zurich
//20th July 2016 Live in London / 2016 Cologne / 2016 Hamburg / 2017 Hannover

2022 Hamburg, Berlin :dance: -> -> 2023 Cologne :pray: NOV 2023 Neil Tennant Live Berlin

Tom Angel

#292 Post by Tom Angel »

PopArt wrote:Once again I sat there and watched PSB perform and was immensely proud of them. They are truly unique in modern pop music. What other act would have the nerve, or talent, to put out Elysium one year, Electric the next and the A man from the future the following year. Such diverse projects and each one of them excellent in their own very different ways.

I enjoyed A man from the future very much. It's not going to work as well as on CD (or for some of you, download) as Battleship Potemkin or The most incredible thing but as a piece of theatre it was brilliant. Intelligent, beautiful and genuinely moving in parts. Perhaps some of the words felt a little clunky but that is simply a minor comment on an otherwise amazing achievement for the boys.

I must say, I also looked at the sheer diversity of the audience- young, old, highbrow culture types, pop enthusiasts, gay, straight, Proms regulars, Proms first-timers- from all walks of life. A truly eclectic crowd all brought together by PSB. I don't think there are many acts who have such a diverse audience and that also made me proud of them.

A fantastic evening in every respect.
Very well put indeed.

I think the lyrics are clunky - ish, because it's unavoidable, as they are delivering the story. And they deliberately chose clarity over poetry,
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Parkol

#293 Post by Parkol »

Boring. It's like the most incredible thing - heard and forgot. I still didn't buy Incredible thing CD and probably I will never buy Future Man. Pet Shop Boys wrote so many beautiful songs like I am not scared or Suburbia, but not this. Orechestra was good, Woman from Pretenders(don't know her name) is not so good as Minelli or Springfield. Why did they choose her - I don't know. I tried to listen to it again but skiped... Boring.

S-sense

#294 Post by S-sense »

Why did they choose Chrissie?
My guess: because she has a new Album coming out and is pleased to have some extra Publicity.
Maybe i am being cynical about that, but after hearing her Performance, which reminded me of Karaoke just before the last round at times, i have no other reason for that.

Besides, Angelo Badalementi's new Arrangements were gorgeous, he made Love is a catastrophe, which original version is a bit dull imho, much more beautiful.

I can not get "Natural wonders" out of my head.
Will read the book this Weekend.... ;)

rashomon

#295 Post by rashomon »

My views after a couple of iPlayer listens today:

Overture: nice enough but nothing special
Four songs in A minor: well below par - Vocal wasn't bad but mainly because of the arrangement. Chrissie Hynde ... poor effort
The Man from the Future: Very good! :clap: Natural Wonders, He Dreamed of Machines both amazing ... narration was tastefully done as well and added just the right amount of solemn gravitas to proceedings. Went a bit wobbly in the middle and failed to keep my attention but recovered again near the end. Not sure if I'd buy a CD of this though unless it was significantly enhanced/extended.

Right ... now back to the studio boys .. I'm waiting for #12 :dance:
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

ZiggyPSB

#296 Post by ZiggyPSB »

So yeah I was there too. It was a great little holiday for me and my mum although the trip back to Northern Ireland was an ordeal thanks to Virgin Trains and their Pendolinos that leak water from the ceiling onto our heads. Feck if I was using a laptop when that happened I wouldn't have stood a chance. And of course the Commonwealth Games was on so the 11-coach train from London to Glasgow was standing room only for the entire journey. Just as well I reserved seats.

But enough of that, I was there. If you saw someone wearing a black BOY cap and a white vest jacket, so you were those two guys who sat beside me, that was me and I say hi to you from here.

So yeah what did I think of the show. It was fantastic but not entirely perfect. Chrissie Hynde was better than I thought but still why have her when you can have Neil Tennant doing the singing?

I've never heard Overture To Performance so I'm ashamed to say that after 11 years of being a fan I didn't know what most of the songs in the medley were!

As for A Man from the Future, great piece but there isn't anything about it that I remember as memorable except for He dreamed of machines but that was because we already heard it a year and a half earlier. Juliet Stevenson was the star for me. She didn't put a word wrong. If this thing gets released, I want a version with the narration and a version without and just leave the music and choir in. Could probably fit both onto a single CD ala Michael Jackson's Xscape special edition.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

boyjohn

#297 Post by boyjohn »

I think that it is something that you have to listen to a few times for the melodies to start sinking in. It's not pop music, and the melodies are a little more subtle than we are used to. It really is a beautiful piece, and I'm glad that they keep trying new things.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

paulism

#298 Post by paulism »

Definitely one to listen to multiple times. Chris's work is subtle but excellent. The choir adds that dramatic touch that implies the effect Turing had on the world we live in - changing the outcome of WWII, creation of computers (the father of the computer), and the price he paid for being true to himself as a gay man.

This is not like any work PSB has done to date.

As many others have said here on this board, it is work like this that makes me very proud to be a PSB fan and share their are with friends and family. Well done!!

Sandy Shaw

#299 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Patrick Bateman wrote:I've had the motif from Natural wonders every child should know in my head for the past couple of days; it's so beautiful.
Me too!
What's for supper?

PETHEAD72

#300 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Glad you all had a great time,i am still in a state of deep sadness i couldn't go,i bought a ticket and was really,really,really tempted to catch a last minute flight which would have cost me £350 return which i think would have been worth every penny.

For the sake of keeping of everyone happy and not disrespecting my religion i made the very painful decision to refrain going as we are in the month of ramadan,which ends on monday!!!,if this performance had been the week after then it would have been no problem.did anyone else have the same dilemma/predicament as me or am i the only muslim on here?!,lol!

I really enjoyed listening to it,i quite enjoyed the whole thing.
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol: