Fugitive: Love Song for 9/11 Terrorists

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Angelspirit

#91 Post by Angelspirit »

this track doesn't make any sense,I'm very cunfused.

Nightlife

#92 Post by Nightlife »

Angelspirit wrote:this track doesn't make any sense,I'm very cunfused.

It could well have many meanings, it is being percieved as maybe a suicide bomber saying goodbye before he goes out to do the dirty.
You don't have to be beautiful, but it helps!

Angelspirit

#93 Post by Angelspirit »

PsB shouldn't get involved in stuff like this.Its bad enough that we have to live with terrorism.I'm a bit angry because the song sounds awsome but the lyrics are crap

E-Mail Vampire

#94 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

I think this line amongst others implies it is those boys killed for being homosexual

"We'll all be together in heaven

but this part

Now is the time of our lives
But it won't last long

could imply it is about children as schooldays are meant to be the time of our lives

I think Neil needs to comment on this song to clarify issues!

Syncratic

#95 Post by Syncratic »

Angelspirit wrote:PsB shouldn't get involved in stuff like this.Its bad enough that we have to live with terrorism.I'm a bit angry because the song sounds awsome but the lyrics are crap
Yesterday's news. (It is possible to write a song from the point of view of other people.)

No you're not really angry, and if you were why should your fashioned feelings mean anything to us.

Try reading the post from the begining instead of displaying your stupidity. Or Troll somewhere else.

Syncratic

#96 Post by Syncratic »

E-Mail Vampire wrote:
No he doesn't. He doesn't have to clarify anything to anyone.

I don't think the song is exclusively about the Iranians...but we've been on for this issue for far too long really when we should spend 7 pages saying how fabulous and beautiful this song is, which it is.

The lyrics are still moving as far as I'm concerned. But I've made my feelings known on the fairly obvious interpretation a few pages back.

jmh

#97 Post by jmh »

Angelspirit wrote:PsB shouldn't get involved in stuff like this.Its bad enough that we have to live with terrorism.I'm a bit angry because the song sounds awsome but the lyrics are crap
are there any other topics that you feel an artist shouldn't comment about?

and how exactly do 'we' live with terrorism? a few bombs go off in london. some others don't. as a result we face curtailment of some civil liberties that most people can't even raise an iota of anger to fight about. big deal. nothing much changes. 'we' don't have to live with terrorism in the same way that someone in baghdad or basra or the occupied territories has to, where death is a very real possibility every day.
" ...but what i do like, i love passionately.."

Drico One

#98 Post by Drico One »

It should be noted that the word "fugitive" has a second meaning that differs markedly from "being on the run from the law". Fugitive also means "ephemeral", or the brief passing of time. Think tempus fugit in Latin. Time passes.

Given the opening line of the song, "Now is the time of our lives, but it won't last long..." it's clear that Neil has once again performed the most subtle of lyrical twists in naming the track. I've always felt this ephemeral quality was the overriding theme of the record, regardless of suicide bombers, but it's interesting to dig a little deeper and find such sophisticated wordplay going on under the surface. Bravo, Mr Tennant.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Eldritch

#99 Post by Eldritch »

Syncratic wrote:
E-Mail Vampire wrote:
No he doesn't. He doesn't have to clarify anything to anyone.
Exactly. It's just that so many people nowadays have lost the skill of interpreting a work of art (yes, even a pop song can be one) so that they are unable to find meaning in it themselves; they need an authority figure (the artist him/herself) to point out the obvious.

It all reminds me of Martin Amis's novel The Information, where the main character, an author, gets asked in a radio interview what his novel is trying to say.

Richard thought for a moment. The contemporary idea seemed to be that the first thing you, as a communicator, was come up with some kind of slogan, and either you put in on a coffee mug or a T-shirt or a bumper sticker - or else you wrote a novel about it...
"It's not trying to say anything. It's saying it."
"But
whatis it saying?"
"It's saying itself. For a hundred and fifty thousand words. I couldn't put it any other way."
Click click drone

425-17

#100 Post by 425-17 »

But can it really be about the two boys if the narrator refers to them all being in heaven soon? Wouldn't he be more likely to say "We'll both be togehter in heaven?

I think under that aspect the 9/11 interpretation makes more sense.

BlueSwan

#101 Post by BlueSwan »

I'd love for them to do an ambigous video for this, to accompany the single release, of course!
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

joncool5

#102 Post by joncool5 »

BlueSwan wrote:I'd love for them to do an ambigous video for this, to accompany the single release, of course!
Oh yeah, this must be a single by the way. Have I mentioned this before???