how far do Bono and our Boys hate each other?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
frenchpsbfan

how far do Bono and our Boys hate each other?

#1 Post by frenchpsbfan »

do they really do? I recently caught U2's version of Rent mixed with YMCA and shopping etc Live in MadisonSquare Gardens which was rather 'epic'...

Technotrancemix

#2 Post by Technotrancemix »

I hate Bono completely and the rest of U2 are on a lead, a bit like Blair is to Bush.

Vince

#3 Post by Vince »

Mr.Wayne of www.geowayne.com has listed info on that, with help from members of this forum!

Here is what http://www.geowayne.com/psblists2.htm#parodies says...

Steve Wright/BBC Radio 1 - "U2's Live PSB Medley"

Steve Wright, a popular BBC Radio DJ from 1979 to 1995, was known for his on-the-air music parodies and practical jokes. One of them, from around 1991, simultaneously poked fun at U2 and the Pet Shop Boys. The premise of the parody was a live "retaliation" for PSB having recently recorded "Where the Streets Have No Name." Allegedly in concert at Madison Square Garden, U2?or, more accurately, a singer mimicking Bono?performs a medley of the PSB songs "Rent" and "Shopping" blended with the gay anthems "Y.M.C.A." and "It's Raining Men," thereby cleverly parodying Bono's singing style (breathily overdone just enough to be comic) while satirizing the scarcely concealed "gay undercurrent" of the Pet Shop Boys' music. Notably, this was a couple of years before Neil made that undercurrent "official" by coming out. And it may also have inspired U2 to satirize the Village People (not to mention themselves) in their 1997 video for "Discotheque." At any rate, Wright's parody was sufficiently well executed that it has managed (via online circulation) to deceive many into believing it's a genuine live U2 recording.
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

Janet Street-Porter

#4 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

Well they love each other now and can be frequently observed having diving contests and flicking wet towels at each other chez Elton.

Eldritch

#5 Post by Eldritch »

Not far enough. ie. not at all.
Click click drone

ultraplus

#6 Post by ultraplus »

Janet Street-Porter wrote:Well they love each other now and can be frequently observed having diving contests and flicking wet towels at each other chez Elton.
Janet, your posts make me howl.

xo
"P.A.S.S.I.O.N. --She's ready for his passion!"

Dipso

#7 Post by Dipso »

Tragically, the diving contest chez Elton actually happened. No doubt Janet was there to witness it first hand!
Prick up your ears.

Vicki

#8 Post by Vicki »

Neil said Chris likes Bono and U2 and Bono likes Chris (not Neil though :))

frenchpsbfan

#9 Post by frenchpsbfan »

well the parody is very close to reality! thanks for the clue!
and still no leaks...

jasonjohn

#10 Post by jasonjohn »

can anyone give evidence that bono/u2 ever hated psb/neil at all ever?

i just dont see bono hating them

they joked about streets, but thats not hate

DJ Pat

#11 Post by DJ Pat »

Bono quipped "What have we done to deserve this" after hearing the boys version of "Where the streets have no name"

West 4th

#12 Post by West 4th »

jasonjohn wrote:can anyone give evidence that bono/u2 ever hated psb/neil at all ever?

i just dont see bono hating them

they joked about streets, but thats not hate
I don't think they ever did. Chris has mentioned he is a U2 fan. I've never heard there was any animosity between the two and don't think there is. The "What have we done..." comment was just them being snarky.

York Minster

Re: how far do Bono and our Boys hate each other?

#13 Post by York Minster »

Sorry sorry sorry. Extreme Resurrection here. But I really want to hear this track as described on the geowayne site and I haven't been able to find it with much searching. Anyone know where I might be able to hear it?
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

leesmapman

Re: how far do Bono and our Boys hate each other?

#14 Post by leesmapman »

U2 played Where The Streets Have No Name and Bono sung Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You during the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjve5n7jeGk

stevebr20012

Re:

#15 Post by stevebr20012 »

Vince wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 12:02 pm Mr.Wayne of www.geowayne.com has listed info on that, with help from members of this forum!

Here is what http://www.geowayne.com/psblists2.htm#parodies says...

Steve Wright/BBC Radio 1 - "U2's Live PSB Medley"

Steve Wright, a popular BBC Radio DJ from 1979 to 1995, was known for his on-the-air music parodies and practical jokes. One of them, from around 1991, simultaneously poked fun at U2 and the Pet Shop Boys. The premise of the parody was a live "retaliation" for PSB having recently recorded "Where the Streets Have No Name." Allegedly in concert at Madison Square Garden, U2?or, more accurately, a singer mimicking Bono?performs a medley of the PSB songs "Rent" and "Shopping" blended with the gay anthems "Y.M.C.A." and "It's Raining Men," thereby cleverly parodying Bono's singing style (breathily overdone just enough to be comic) while satirizing the scarcely concealed "gay undercurrent" of the Pet Shop Boys' music. Notably, this was a couple of years before Neil made that undercurrent "official" by coming out. And it may also have inspired U2 to satirize the Village People (not to mention themselves) in their 1997 video for "Discotheque." At any rate, Wright's parody was sufficiently well executed that it has managed (via online circulation) to deceive many into believing it's a genuine live U2 recording.
This needs a bit of an update. You can dispute the word "popular" but Steve Wright is still an active DJ on BBC radio and has been continuously up to now apart from 1995-1999.