What's your opinion about West End Girls?

All Community forum polls and results.

Do you think they make good covers of Pet Shop Boys?

Yes!
41%
No!
30%
I don't know.
7%
I don't care
21%

Total votes: 56

Fugitive1979

#16 Post by Fugitive1979 »

Rent wrote:Well, they do say that imitation is the purest form of flattery. Especially when it is well done. In this instance, it is.
Good point. 8)
:| :o

mindboy

#17 Post by mindboy »

StevePSB wrote:Squeaky, cheesy, embarrassing crap. 'nuf said.

StevePSB
Quite accurate, i can only add - shite. :x
Chris Heath: Why you're surfing?
Chris Lowe: Coz we can!
Neil Tennant: Exactly. :D
(Performance commentary during What have I done to deserve this??)

DJAMIX

#18 Post by DJAMIX »

djandyman wrote:Some of their covers are good, some are not as good. I really like the Punkstar remixes that are on their EP's... Their cover of Go West was not needed at all :shock:
You said it all.
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

psb-freak

#19 Post by psb-freak »

The covers are quite good. And they´re nice girls. :D
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Actually

#20 Post by Actually »

We all love the Pet Shop Boys but we don't have the urge to put on a couple of Builder's hats & pretend to be Neil Tennant & Chris Lowe....Get my point?
Tony Wadsworth's (EMI Chairman) facial expression in A Life in Pop says it all!!!
I'm too weak to be strong

Drem

#21 Post by Drem »

Disappointment of the year: mediocre copycats, voiceless, deaf and insincere. I knew that from the start.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Eldritch

#22 Post by Eldritch »

dVTB wrote:The production of their tracks is really nice, but as soon as they open their mouths, I start disliking them.
Totally agree. They sound like t.A.t.U on sedatives. They also consistently pronounce words wrong and therefore give the impression that they have no idea what they are singing about, ripping away the melancholic allure that is so well expressed by Neil.

I thought that on further listenings I would get used to their vocals, but no. The reverse happened. They become more annoying with each listen, while the novelty of the production soon starts to fade.
Click click drone

kimphilby

#23 Post by kimphilby »

Are they still around? I thought they were a pre-Fundamental marketing ploy.

raggatwin

#24 Post by raggatwin »

Don't see the point of them really.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

dVTB

#25 Post by dVTB »

Eldritch wrote:
dVTB wrote:The production of their tracks is really nice, but as soon as they open their mouths, I start disliking them.
Totally agree. They sound like t.A.t.U on sedatives. They also consistently pronounce words wrong and therefore give the impression that they have no idea what they are singing about, ripping away the melancholic allure that is so well expressed by Neil.

I thought that on further listenings I would get used to their vocals, but no. The reverse happened. They become more annoying with each listen, while the novelty of the production soon starts to fade.
Yet they don't top the list of pour pronouncation. Sofie Clausen, who made a eurodance cover of Suburbia, constantly walked 'with the ducks tonight', in Suburbia. I also think t.A.t.U. have more powerful voices than West End Girls.

In fact you might be right about the production. I can imagine that novelty disappearing after a while, but I didn't give it a chance. I never listen to West End Girls. That said, I must confess that I love their version of Love Comes Quickly way better than the original. It has a better bpm and vibe to it.

Shopper

#26 Post by Shopper »

I would say cute :mrgreen:

Suburbia was awesome indeed and they werent as cheesy as those dreadful
A*teens or whatever that Abba group was..
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Janet Street-Porter

#27 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

Shopper wrote:Suburbia was awesome indeed and they werent as cheesy as those dreadful
A*teens or whatever that Abba group was..
They were called Erasure.

*awaits s t e p h a n o missive*

Danger

#28 Post by Danger »

Lovely girls! Great songs covered like Go West, It's A Sin, Domino Dancing! I have Domino dancing single autographed by West End girls: wow!

Steve Fett

#29 Post by Steve Fett »

exactly....

Its more PSB music getting heard by a different generation again. Whats not to love ?

The production is brilliant, and the songs (well, duh) are perfect !! Their versions of Suburbia, Rent and Being Boring are wonderful. :P

West End girls always remind me of t.A.T.u - and I like them too, so maybe thats why they work...
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?

Darkmoon

#30 Post by Darkmoon »

The covers sound great productionwise...
Now if only I could remove those awful vocals