Genuine C2H discs with "You've got to start somewhere"

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
Greendrake

Genuine C2H discs with "You've got to start somewhere"

#1 Post by Greendrake »

There are already 4(!) threads on this forum about the song You've got to start somewhere (one, two, three, four) but yes I am creating another one here to dedicate it solely to the original/genuine discs it appeared on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to be this one (from the discography):
CD-R: 2001 UK (PSBP/RUG/10th Planet; n/a) [Feb 2001]
4:02 My Night (edit)
8:48 My Night (full length)
4:44 Something Special/Home [two tracks medley]
4:51 You've Got To Start Somewhere
The 16-track one (which 16(!) people seem to have), on which the song is track #15, looks like a bootleg to me: way too rough and different from the other genuine C2H discs:
c2h16ukcdra.jpg
c2h16ukcdra.jpg (187.76 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
The 3rd (and last) one is another 16-track on which the song is track #12, but existence is unconfirmed:
CD-R: 2000 UK (??; n/a) [existance unconfirmed]
4:35 Closer To Heaven (demo)
3:56 My Night (edit)
4:50 For All Of Us (2nd demo version) [Feb 01; different version; piano version]
2:06 Tall Thin Men (demo)
4:44 Something Special/Home [Feb 01; two tracks mixed together]
3:22 Friendly Fire (new version)
3:02 Nine Out Of Ten (slow version)
3:59 Vampires (demo)
4:07 Closer To Heaven (alternative version) [Nightlife version]
3:15 Drunk (demo) [98 outake]
4:22 For All Of Us [new version]
4:51 You've Got To Start Somewhere [outake]
4:13 The Only One (new version) [98 demo mix]
8:48 My Night (full length)
4:21 For All Of Us (demo)
3:58 Closer To Heaven (act 1 scene 16)
What puzzles me though is that the 4-track one comes from 2001, whereas both the suspicious 16-track CDs claim to come from 2000. Could it be that the track indeed first surfaced in 2001, but later these bootlegs were forged claiming they're from 2000?

james23_uk

Re: Genuine C2H discs with "You've got to start somewhere"

#2 Post by james23_uk »

As far as I know I was one of the first to have this track. It was an MP3 burn from a CD but how, why or where I got it I cannot remember. It is labelled track number 12 in the file details if that helps.
at rock bottom :wall:

Greendrake

#3 Post by Greendrake »

james23_uk wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020, 6:02 pm how, why or where I got it I cannot remember
I would imagine it was shared via Napster or Kazaa back then.
Still, someone would have submitted info about the 4-track CD to psb-discography.com. Hope they and the CD are both well these days 8) .

trafaelwyr

#4 Post by trafaelwyr »

Greendrake wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020, 11:51 pm
james23_uk wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020, 6:02 pm how, why or where I got it I cannot remember
I would imagine it was shared via Napster or Kazaa back then.
Still, someone would have submitted info about the 4-track CD to psb-discography.com. Hope they and the CD are both well these days 8) .
ah...Napster and Kazaa. Those expanded my music collection quite significantly, not just in terms of PSB stuff. I think it was Kazaa that I got all of the songs for the Electronic CD single "Until the End of Time". My portable hdd is bursting with PSB stuff that I've acquired over the years.

Future Lover

#5 Post by Future Lover »

It's interesting how little they changed "Here" for the album... The file I have unfortunately has a stupid glitch.

tottenhammattspurs

#6 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Think i downloaded mine from limewire. The easiest way to give your computer a digital STD
is is and isnt isnt

redsock

#7 Post by redsock »

Funnily enough, I was in the loft the other day looking through some CDs and I found the original 16 track cdr that was put together at the same time as James23_uk's. I'll dig it out and see the creation date of the tracks and see.
I don't think you got it from a sharing site James23_uk, the tracks were manually distributed on discs I think, at least the first time they came into the wild, as it were?