CD collections and PSB related CD’s

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
deekay

CD collections and PSB related CD’s

#1 Post by deekay » Sun 11 Mar 2018, 5:38 pm

My PSB collection mainly consists of CD’s as I started collecting in 1986 when CD’s first started becoming commercially available and vinyl was predicted to be eventually consigned to history. How wrong I was and I now wish that I had collected vinyl instead although storage is obviously a bigger issue with collecting the vinyl format. I also collect PSB related CD’s, compilation CD’s featuring one or more PSB track and cover version CD’s covering their material and wondered how far people will go to try and complete a collection that can never actually ever be complete! Is it an illness or an obsession? My buying is as strong as ever but I am never satisfied. I dread to think how much I have spent over the last 30 or so years.
Last edited by deekay on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist

Re: CD collections and PSB related CD’s

#2 Post by retrofuturist » Sun 11 Mar 2018, 11:43 pm

I think the important thing to remember is that it's ultimately about the music, so do your best to focus on getting as much of their music as possible! Beyond that, it's all a bonus and a bit of fun, isn't it?

Pod

#3 Post by Pod » Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:22 am

My PSB collection is huge - I’d say CDs outnumber the vinyl but not by much. I buy anything related to PSB and have some very rare items. I don’t tend to do much memorabilia, just the music. Bit of an obsessive!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Future Lover

#4 Post by Future Lover » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 3:58 pm

Fun topic!
I have a rule not to over-collect, if that makes sense. I will never buy a CD if I have the tracks already, even if they're spread over several releases, in order to shrink the number of CDs I own. i.e. I will not be buying the Flamboyant CD1 since I already got Release FL. Same with Christmas EP and Yes FL. Kinda lucky that I became a PSB fan this late in their career!
I do get a bit obsessive sometimes, luckily, my partner ISN'T a fan and stops me from overspending. Somehow that makes it even more fun, knowing you only get only a couple PSB thingies per month!

Izione

#5 Post by Izione » Thu 15 Mar 2018, 12:06 pm

Just look at it as a piece of art that's always getting better, enjoy it and you'll be fine.
http://www.realizationmusic.co.uk
@realizationmsc

“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.”

JSDOUVRES

#6 Post by JSDOUVRES » Thu 15 Mar 2018, 11:41 pm

Lost most of my collection in a fire a few years back (big collection which included every UK release on CD, LP, Cassette, the lot plus lots of imports)
Had some real gems like the Home and Dry Canadian promo CD, 2 copies of Relentless on vinyl (one I used to play and one I kept mint) a 12" UK acetete of the Frankie Knuckles remix of Left to my own devices and loads more.
Pretty devastating but you soon learn what is important in life believe me, plus I've since bought a near complete collection on ebay and have built it up nicely.
I started by trying to get every remix and b-side, then as many as possible on CD and worked from there. Can't imagine what I must have spent on them. Thousands! A good hobby and great fun. Favourite item is Relentless on vinyl which I have bought again and play. Old habits die hard!

Izione

#7 Post by Izione » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 12:09 am

JSDOUVRES wrote:
Thu 15 Mar 2018, 11:41 pm
Lost most of my collection in a fire a few years back (big collection which included every UK release on CD, LP, Cassette, the lot plus lots of imports)
Had some real gems like the Home and Dry Canadian promo CD, 2 copies of Relentless on vinyl (one I used to play and one I kept mint) a 12" UK acetete of the Frankie Knuckles remix of Left to my own devices and loads more.
Pretty devastating but you soon learn what is important in life believe me, plus I've since bought a near complete collection on ebay and have built it up nicely.
I started by trying to get every remix and b-side, then as many as possible on CD and worked from there. Can't imagine what I must have spent on them. Thousands! A good hobby and great fun. Favourite item is Relentless on vinyl which I have bought again and play. Old habits die hard!
I remember a few years back when you mentioned this just happened.
I'm pleased for you that you've managed to get a collection back and you're back on your feet.
Did you manage to get the 3 VF BOXSET releases?
I'm still looking for very relentless on vinyl but one day soon I'm sure I'll find it to add to my collection.
http://www.realizationmusic.co.uk
@realizationmsc

“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.”

JSDOUVRES

#8 Post by JSDOUVRES » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 12:36 am

Izione wrote:
Fri 16 Mar 2018, 12:09 am
JSDOUVRES wrote:
Thu 15 Mar 2018, 11:41 pm
I remember a few years back when you mentioned this just happened.
I'm pleased for you that you've managed to get a collection back and you're back on your feet.
Did you manage to get the 3 VF BOXSET releases?
I'm still looking for very relentless on vinyl but one day soon I'm sure I'll find it to add to my collection.
No, I'm not going to bother with the VF boxsets, I didn't bother with Electric when it came out and bought Yes when it was released which was all but destroyed although I managed to save the autographed numbered sheet somehow, albeit in a bad state but acceptable.

I think I paid £50 for Relentless on Discogs or ebay, I forget now, it is my favourite vinyl record of all time so I had to have it, I am one of those that much prefer the sound quality of vinyl over CD and it gets a good play from time to time!

A fire and all that comes with it is tragic and incredibly traumatic and I lost lots of things which are unreplaceable like old photos and school books but it did teach me a lot about what really matters in life and certainly how pointless and worthless materialism is, having said that I won't be parting hands with my copy of Relentless anytime soon, or my PSB and Erasure collection (which I also bought again on eBay!)