Can you forgive her? (MK dub)

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
pandemonium

Re: Can you forgive her? (MK dub)

#16 Post by pandemonium »

I thought the MK remixes were awesome and hilarious...
And this comes from someone who doesn't give a toss about remixes.

Can't help but thinking back of my little sis trying to sing along:

"Pain, she's the man I hate... Bicycle!"

LOL

raggatwin

#17 Post by raggatwin »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Raggatwin,
raggatwin wrote:Yeah dub as in dub reggae is where the term comes from however the MK dub is a dub as it is not an instrumental where you just take the vocal track off. Dub is an elastic term in the sense that alot of dubstep - particuarly the stuff from Berlin - is like digital dub.
Could you recommend any tracks or artists in the dubstep space? I'm heavily into the old skool Jamaican Dub mixed by the likes of King Tubby, Lee Perry, Phillip Smart, Scientist. I've heard some more modern dub, and dub influenced stuff (mainly from the On-U Sound stable, or dub mixes of UK bands like Gorillaz, Primal Scream, Massive Attack) but don't think I've ever come across dubstep. I'm a bit wary of it, but if I had a few "best of genre" tracks to check out, I'd gladly do so.

Retro. :)
In terms of dubstep it depends on what you are into more generally. There are three main strains in dubstep. There is the more heavy tech steppy stuff from the like of Rusko, Reso, Caspa people like that. Then there is the more eclectic stuff that you can get from the Tempa label who have brought out seven collections called dubstep allstars and then there is the more techno influenced stuff that comes from berlin. i suggest that you would start with this as the real techy stuff might be a bit of a shock for you.

You should consider cheking out

Shackleton, Kode 9, Nomad, Scuba, 2562, Martyn and Falty DL. All of these are quite bass orientated without being overly noisy.

If you want to start with something a bit rougher you can begin with 6Blocc who does wicked dubstep versions of famous reggae and hip-hop tracks. Be warned though he has done Boom Bye Bye by Buju Banton if you are easily offended.

I'd be intereted to know what you think!
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

raggatwin

#18 Post by raggatwin »

Sorry forgot Hyperdub is a wicked label run by Kode 9....
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

raggatwin

#19 Post by raggatwin »

....and you might like to check out RSD, his best rtack is Froward Youth imo. He is Rob smith as in smith and Mighty. there is also the two burial albums, one of which was a mercury winner ... i think

retrofuturist

#20 Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks for the recommendations Raggatwin... I'll let you know where I end up.

"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Fredddyyy

#21 Post by Fredddyyy »

Am I def? Cause I don't hear the word "bicycle" anywhere!
XD
I hear other words from the song, including "pain" but not "bicycle"

raggatwin

#22 Post by raggatwin »

pain. she demands my. pain. she demands my bicycle shed..... or summink.

Fredddyyy

#23 Post by Fredddyyy »

XD
Thanks for the help!
:D

moxlox

#24 Post by moxlox »

Always have loved and still love this remix. One of my favourites. Love the rhythm and yes its hilarious. The full lyric version pales into insignificance next to the dub. A rare occasion where a remix without full lyrics was better than one with them.

And to the poster above about his sister and this track. Me And my sister used to go around singing bicycle all the time too! LOL
Circuses and Bread

moxlox

#25 Post by moxlox »

Just put it on, inspired by this thread. Awesome! Awesome bass line. :dance:
Circuses and Bread

mole973102

#26 Post by mole973102 »

Sandy Shaw wrote:
mole973102 wrote:Perhaps it was an omen?
A car decided to zoom up in front of me on my right and suddenly turn left into a driveway on Monday. I braked suddenly and shot over the top, and hit into it somehow, I believe my forehead first because next minute I was lying in a tangle, in the road.
The bruises are painful.
Hope you are feeling a bit better. What a frightening experience.
It did daze/stun me for a while, but it wore off.
I landed on my keys which rather bruised my leg as well as being bruised elsewhere, but was fine otherwise. Painful to kneel down for a week... ;) Still bruised, but the pain is gone.

Thanks for the thoughts...
You gotta have fun!

retrofuturist

#27 Post by retrofuturist »

OK Raggatwin, I've had a listen and am underwhelmed by dubstep, though I don't hate it either. Thanks for the recommendations though.

"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)