Brighton gig, 29th May

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
Jay78uk

Brighton gig, 29th May

#1 Post by Jay78uk » Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:12 am

Did anyone else go? I couldn't see any threads on this gig. I went for my second taste of electric live- I was at the first O2 show a while back. Have to say I was really disappointed by the Brighton gig. I thought it might be because the element of surprise wasn't there a second time, but my friend, another avid PSB fan felt the same way. Where to start... the sound was all over the place. Just terrible, particularly for the first part of the show. It seemed to have something to do with balancing Neil's vocals as when it was just instrumentation the sound was ok. The sound was so bad that I really didn't enjoy the show much at all, but it didn't seem to bother the crowd who went mad at the old favs. Didn't seem to bother the sounddesk either- they all seemed very relaxed about it! The other major issue I had with this gig was that Neil seemed to be sending up and doing pastiche of his own songs, as were his dancers. Of course that's his prerogative- he wrote them with Chris- but it seemed endless. Every track was treated to the same kind of karaoke treatment after the initial round of axis/ fugitive. I just felt it was a bit sad to be honest. I appreciate they have been on the road for a long time, and I appreciate they need to play all the old hits as that seems to be what allows them to do big tours with endless dates. Noticed the more interesting tracks like The Last to Die and Invisible had been cut from the original set list, leaving a hit heavy list with a taste of electric. But for the first time, after seeing a dozen of their gigs over the years I thought hmmm.... remember Neil about what you said about you and Chris being replaced by avatars- maybe this is the time...? Only for the big gigs playing to all your 'fans' who only know your greatest hits mind- I'd still like to see Neil and Chris performing more interesting material from the back catalogue and current projects live. I appreciate I'm probably in a minority on this one, but I just wondered what others thought. ps. Finally I was astonished that two broadsheets gave this gig 4/5... I felt a bit angry about that, not because I ever want to see Neil and Chris getting bad reviews, but getting stellar reviews for lame gigs just encourages them to do more of the same, and it just feels odd that their gigs are increasingly orientated to an audience who want a blast of the 80s rather than those who appreciate their more recent work too.

billiejo

Re: Brighton gig, 29th May

#2 Post by billiejo » Sun 08 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

There have been a lot of very positive comments on the Brighton concert - had a quick look but can't find the thread but no doubt someone else will give you the link.

Corina

#3 Post by Corina » Sun 08 Jun 2014, 5:01 pm

billiejo wrote:There have been a lot of very positive comments on the Brighton concert - had a quick look but can't find the thread but no doubt someone else will give you the link.
http://www.petshopboys-forum.com/viewto ... =1&t=29578
Jay78uk wrote:The sound was so bad that I really didn't enjoy the show much at all, but it didn't seem to bother the crowd who went mad at the old favs.

I don`t agree with your criticism, Jay, you`re too subjective, maybe. It was the 4th live PSB concert for me and I think it was the best. (I`m a rabid Pethead, quite a "connoisseur", I travel for PSB concerts since my Boys don`t bother to visit Romania anymore - so I`m the last person to be tolerant with their flaws :-))

The sound was OK, Neils voice seemed a bit too "processed", still not unpleasant, and it was so good for me not to feel the bass straight into my heart - so I think the sound was well balanced. And the crowd wasn`t much less enthusiastic when the not-so-Imperial songs were played, it was maybe they just enjoyed to relax a little from dancing and jumping, just listening to the more complex lyrics, still enjoying the show!

Aren`t you and your mate too demanding? You could maybe send a message to the PSB management, asking for a custom-made concert :-) 8)
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

Jay78uk

#4 Post by Jay78uk » Mon 09 Jun 2014, 10:15 am

Hi Corina, yes maybe we do expect too much from Neil and Chris, but that is because we value their work and art so much. Maybe they will reward us with a more 'serious' tour next time? I think maybe they felt stung by some the whinging about Elysium and felt the need to revert to another mega hits tour. Neil and Chris's approach to touring is interesting- they started off saying it wasn't for them, then relented but would only do high concept shows and they stuck to that format for a while. Then they embraced partying via south america, along with the more liberal and open nature of their output at the time (Very/Bilingual) and then they went back to concept for Nightlife. Then Release involved them putting demons to rest regarding performing with a proper band (and boy did it sound good), but ever since then they seem to have gone for a more pop/stadium/ rock approach with cubism/ pandemonium / electric, not to forget being the support act for Take That. All four are highly mainstream shows with a minor sprinkling of concept in their presentation, but in the main follow the rock/pop stadium template Neil was so rude about all those years ago. Ironic! Perhaps Neil should finally issue an apology to U2 ;-)

Trixiemix

#5 Post by Trixiemix » Mon 09 Jun 2014, 7:42 pm

Personally I don't see much that is 'Rock' about their shows at all. PSB have always put on the theatrical type show with costume changes (and which in the case of Electric happens to include Lasers) and with dancers etc.
Times have changed and opinions may change but performing is probably how they keep the funds rolling in, even with their huge back catalogue . (Even Kate Bush will be taking to the stage again in September.......who'd have thought).
The last 3 tours have had variations of everything and I am loving the variety as it would be totally stifling if they performed the same over and over.
I was in Brighton (at the front) and the crowd was super. Neil looked pleased enough with the response.....long may it continue.
Back to Trafalgar.........

Corina

#6 Post by Corina » Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

I`m looking forward to the next album/concert concept, hoping they take into account what eloquent fans like you Jay say. I agree the Release era concerts were the best - so nice to see that band and Chris working his ass off on stage - but is this concept still feasible nowadays? I suppose they have to carry on lots of concerts in order to keep the funds rolling on, like Anne says above, so that`s why some of their decisions seem to be taken on more pragmatic reasons, rather than artistical ones. Still, I just can`t dislike how their concerts look now, they don`t look commercial to me at all, just theatrical and intimate - even with the lasers and strobes included! It`s a concept that fits with everything that PSB is... And it`s so nice to hear of every sold-out gig of our Boys, I`m happy that more and more people come to see them and become aware of their genius and warmth, that is why I wasn`t upset at all when they "supported" Take That :-)

But: I can`t stand Bono, so no apology to U2, hoping PSB will never, ever perform with them!!
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

DJ Pat

#7 Post by DJ Pat » Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:42 pm

Corina wrote:I wasn`t upset at all when they "supported" Take That :-)
The shows were all stale, the sound bad, the daylight didn't help and I don't honestly believe they won many new fans at all.

As for the Electric tour, it's run its course now, there's nothing new in any part of it, maybe the odd set list change.

Pete Gleadall saying that Chris didn't appear for a song at Coachella festival 'because he didn't have his glasses' just about sums up what they think about their fans in general, more thefact that he would be miming anyway, even worse.
Live synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.
https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Sandy Shaw

#8 Post by Sandy Shaw » Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm

DJ Pat wrote:
Corina wrote:I wasn`t upset at all when they "supported" Take That :-)
The shows were all stale, the sound bad, the daylight didn't help and I don't honestly believe they won many new fans at all.

As for the Electric tour, it's run its course now, there's nothing new in any part of it, maybe the odd set list change.

Pete Gleadall saying that Chris didn't appear for a song at Coachella festival 'because he didn't have his glasses' just about sums up what they think about their fans in general, more thefact that he would be miming anyway, even worse.
Chris was either mining brilliantly at Brighton, or playing live and I think it was the latter.

The sound can be better or worse in different parts of a room, and I certainly experienced bad sound for the first few songs in Brighton.

I had a brilliant time though, just a little sorry that I went for seating rather than standing.
What's for supper?