LA Concert @ The Greek Theatre

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
df118junkie

LA Concert @ The Greek Theatre

#1 Post by df118junkie »

Overall a great concert. There were a few times where I felt they missed the chance to 'big-up' new songs, but generally a fun 'mash-up' style with nice flourishes, and great to hear a lot of 'Actually' period tracks.

Several things were very annoying though !

1. The open DJ - DJ Kid Dickhead or something - was a boring self-indulgent talentless t***. What a waste of an hour - and why did I have to suffer ?!?

2. The first 3 songs didn't flow. Opener 'Heart' was great (graphics were shit and tacky - as seen in another thread) - then they launched into 'Did You See me..' and it was horrible ! - and then they spunked 'Pandemonium' as the 3rd song !!! What a waste ! Only then did Neil said hello !

3. But the worst travesty ?! Neil mimed to 'Did You See Me..' !!!!!! - it stood out a mile - you could tell that it was a studio production - very VERY disappointing - a shit song mimed. It felt like they had been forced to stick it in for US promotion purposes. Have they played this opening order at other concerts ?

Young Offender

Re: LA Concert @ The Greek Theatre

#2 Post by Young Offender »

df118junkie wrote:Overall a great concert. There were a few times where I felt they missed the chance to 'big-up' new songs, but generally a fun 'mash-up' style with nice flourishes, and great to hear a lot of 'Actually' period tracks.

Several things were very annoying though !

1. The open DJ - DJ Kid Dickhead or something - was a boring self-indulgent talentless t***. What a waste of an hour - and why did I have to suffer ?!?

2. The first 3 songs didn't flow. Opener 'Heart' was great (graphics were shit and tacky - as seen in another thread) - then they launched into 'Did You See me..' and it was horrible ! - and then they spunked 'Pandemonium' as the 3rd song !!! What a waste ! Only then did Neil said hello !

3. But the worst travesty ?! Neil mimed to 'Did You See Me..' !!!!!! - it stood out a mile - you could tell that it was a studio production - very VERY disappointing - a shit song mimed. It felt like they had been forced to stick it in for US promotion purposes. Have they played this opening order at other concerts ?
I missed most of the dj guy, I liked the intro and opening song, I did notice the miming of Did you see me coming?.

Overall I thought it was a good show.

patrick

#3 Post by patrick »

Young Offender wrote:I did notice the miming of Did you see me coming?.
I don't think it was mimed - Neil messed up the lyrics in one of the verses!

LAOffender

#4 Post by LAOffender »

I had a very good time last night at the Greek. However, I felt the show was a little flat and little low on energy in some spots - maybe it was the sweltering heat. And from my vantage point at the front of the stage I could see Neil was singing along quite a bit to a vocal lead in several spots. No matter, it was good to see them again.
I'd have to say "King's Cross" was the highlight.

The meet and greet was a total joke.

VanPSBFan

#5 Post by VanPSBFan »

Interesting, Neil sang like a machine at the Vancouver show. Thats why I think it seemed to
go over so fast.

I heard the meet and greet was 20 seconds then adios! Is it worth it?
Cause if I got the chance to meet them, I seriously would have been
dry humping Neil and Chris' legs LOL!!

spooky

#6 Post by spooky »

patrick wrote:
wow, that doesn't sound like something he would do unless his voice was giving him troubles that night. although, Chris has said that he does have troubles singing the songs in the "Backstage Drama" footage of the Savoy DVD.

patrick

#7 Post by patrick »

LAOffender wrote:I had a very good time last night at the Greek. However, I felt the show was a little flat and little low on energy in some spots - maybe it was the sweltering heat.
It was actually fairly temperate yesterday evening. The energy level is all down to the Greek having fix seating. The same show would have electrified the same audience at the Wiltern, for example. They shouldn't be performing in seated arenas. The same thing happened during the Nightlife tour, where the standing venues in Vegas and San Diego generated much more electricity than the seated Universal show in LA.

alp3

#8 Post by alp3 »

What I find rather amusing is that once the lights dimmed, the front row pple looked at each to see if it's "ok" to stand up and move to the stage.

The bouncer last night was a joke. She just came by occasionally and enforced ridiculous rules. I can tell that fans from the second row on were REALLY enthusiastic and should be allowed to sing and dance near the stage!

D.J.

#9 Post by D.J. »

I really loved the show! My expectations were pretty high, but I was still blown away by both the visuals and the sound! Maybe it helped that I wasn't so close to the stage, but instead somewhere in the middle, right in the dead center so I saw the whole stage with all the projection, dancers and PSB at all the time. I've also noticed that Neil messed up Did you see me coming? 2nd verse. I think he repeated the first verse twice :)) Interestingly enough maybe my favorite song of the show was the song which isn't (or wasn't until now :)) even in my top 50 PSB songs--Go West. I just loved this version with Chris hitting that metalic-Paninaro-sounding drum. Also, I got the goose bumps during first minute of Always On My Mind. I truly hope they release a CD with these medley versions of the songs. They sound so fresh and exciting.
Too bad I haven't seen any good video from this tour on youtube that would show the whole stage and not only focus on the boys themselves to better illustrate the vibe of the show to people who haven't seen it.

df118junkie

#10 Post by df118junkie »

patrick wrote:
I agree, but there were also times when his voice was coming out of the speakers and his mouth wasn't moving !!! When the voices were trading off towards the end, it was very apparent that he was only singing half of it...and I'm not convinced he was singing MOST of it..!

Naughty Zoot

#11 Post by Naughty Zoot »

patrick wrote:I don't think it was mimed - Neil messed up the lyrics in one of the verses!
Yes he did. In the 2nd verse. But, professional that he is -- he went with it & never acknowledged that he screwed up. Well, he did briefly flash a knowing smile after the fact but, if you weren't a hardcore fan, you wouldn't have noticed.
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

Rorie

#12 Post by Rorie »

Did you see me coming? - the "did you see me coming" is live, then the "did you see me" right after that is pre-recorded. I saw this as well. You'd expect on a tour that this part would be sung by the backup singers/dancers. Not sure why they choose to do this, but it seems deliberate that he does not even make an effort to look like he is singing it. It's like they want people to know it is recorded and they are not trying to fool anyone. Because if you were to lip-sync a show, you'd keep up the appearance.

His mic is live. In Chicago Do I Have To?" crashed part way in and he still sung for a sec. That and I watched him closely the second time I saw the show as we were second row.

But what I think it pre-recorded is a backing track.

I once heard a soundboard recording of the Summer 2000 Tour, and the vocals did sound kind of rough. But then again was it just a bad night? But the odd thing about the soundboard is it sounded like it was only recording Neil's mic, the backup singers, and what Chris and Peter Schwartz were playing. It sounded a bit stripped. But you think all the pre-recorded stuff would have been going through the soundboard as well, so you have to wonder what the heck the real source of this was.

Anyway, my two cents.

boyjohn

#13 Post by boyjohn »

I actually though Did You See Me Coming sounded better live than on cd lol. I'm pretty sure there was no miming (except for when he is supposed to be singing backup or harmony with himself of course). If he was going to mime, he could have made his voice sound much better than his live singing (which does get a bit whiny at times). Also, there are a couple songs where he doesnt try to hit the high notes (Why Dont We Live Together and Being Boring spring to mind), if he was going to mime, surely the prerecorded vocals would have been like the original versions.

Overall, a really entertaining show. My only quibble is that it moved really fast and seemed to be over too soon.

I absolutely LOVED seeing Neil sing "The Way It Used To Be" live.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

DYSMC2009

#14 Post by DYSMC2009 »

I can also confirm that at an earlier concert this week Neil did not mime "Did You See Me Coming." It was sung live except for some pre-recorded backing / harmony vocals at the end, as indicated by previous posters. It was quite obvious he wasn't singing those as he made no effort whatsoever to mime and in one or two places his live singing went over the prerecorded backing vocals towards the end of the song.

Chris' spoken vocals at the beginning of "Integral - Building a Wall" were also not live, but like Neil he made no effort whatsoever to mime or give the illusion he was singing them

I was close up and did not see any miming during the concert, and I was watching for it. All the vocals definitely seemed live.

Naughty Zoot

#15 Post by Naughty Zoot »

boyjohn wrote: I absolutely LOVED seeing Neil sing "The Way It Used To Be" live.
Me too!! Such a lovely song .... so beautifully presented.
10 years from now, when N&C are performing in Chic Nightclubs around the world, this song will be one of their staples.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...