Latitude 17/07 closely follwed by Dour 18/07

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
pineneedle

Latitude 17/07 closely follwed by Dour 18/07

#1 Post by pineneedle » Sun 19 Jul 2009, 3:16 am

It's a long way

Hope none of the three thousand speed cameras between Suffolk and St Pancras were switched on this morning. Cutting it fine doesn't come close.

Someone has just pointed out we stayed in Lowestoft. That's "Lowe"-stoft. Which seems unfeasibly funny at the moment. But then that could be something to do with 11 hours of 'alternative' passive smoking. (Those Iam fans know how to have a good time. Who needs a smoke machine anyway).

Two came home looking strangely squashed (those Drop Kick Murphy fans know how to have a good time)

The Pet Shop Boys played at both. They were really quite good. As was the sound.

Neil Said "f*** the rain!" at Dour but luckily didn't say anything to upset the largely polite but unresponsive audience at Lat, although at one point he did ask "is there anyone out there?"

Chris' technology said "f*** the rain I'm off" (quite literally) at one point and a man with a duster had to dry him/it off a bit and shuffle him/it back a bit and Neil looked a bit lonely.

Keyboards in Belgium have all the right letters in all the wrong places so this has been a labour of love. Think though have covered the main points. Oh alright then, they just dropped Being Boring at Dour.

Trixiemix

Re: Latitude 17/07 closely follwed by Dour 18/07

#2 Post by Trixiemix » Sun 19 Jul 2009, 11:52 am

Latitude was Fantastic.......saw Tori Amos before the boys came on. It was amusing to watch the drunks being plucked out of the audience and marched up the 'press gang-way' at the front of the stage! Not so amusing next day at Dour in Belgium when I and a friend made the mistake of hanging around in the audience for the 'Murphy' band. I was quite in fear for my life and got at least one bruised rib but my own fault for staying there! The sound was much better for these Festivals too. Weather, Long Journey, other bands, pushing and shoving, mud and porta-loos that's Festivals for you.........but then the Pets come on and all the hassles are forgotton.
Back to Trafalgar.........

wieske

#3 Post by wieske » Sun 19 Jul 2009, 12:17 pm

How was the response from the audience at the Dour-festival Trixiemix?
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

Trixiemix

#4 Post by Trixiemix » Sun 19 Jul 2009, 1:14 pm

I was at the front and the response there is always great.......but it seems the whole crowd got into the spirit of it last night even though it rained a bit. Chris got a bit amused at how Neil seemed to be getting wet and when Neil moved back under cover......Chris also had his Keyboards moved to avoid the rain. It was a fantastic show indeed.
Back to Trafalgar.........

MetropoliS

#5 Post by MetropoliS » Mon 20 Jul 2009, 10:55 am

One question: what's this song they performed live?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWee1_iIcF8
MetropolyS

PigletWildebeest

#6 Post by PigletWildebeest » Mon 20 Jul 2009, 11:14 am

That's Coldplay's Viva La Vida
Looking for love and getting nothing that's worth regretting.
Tennant/Lowe

MetropoliS

#7 Post by MetropoliS » Mon 20 Jul 2009, 11:14 am

PigletWildebeest wrote:That's Coldplay's Viva La Vida
oups... sorry for mi ignorance!
:wink:
MetropolyS

joepsb

#8 Post by joepsb » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 1:10 am

some good comments on the lattitude forum considering all the moaning before the festival

territorygal

#9 Post by territorygal » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 2:46 am

http://forums.latitudefestival.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=68899

Some people still slagging off PSB, but most were pleasantly surprised. :up:
And everything about tonight feels right and so young
And anything I'd want to say out loud will be sung
It's in the music...

psb-freak

#10 Post by psb-freak » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 7:14 am

Trixiemix wrote:Chris got a bit amused at how Neil seemed to be getting wet
Fabulous line. :lol: Good, that you had a nice time.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

skyhigh

#11 Post by skyhigh » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 10:19 am

territorygal wrote:http://forums.latitudefestival.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=68899

the best comments were from the ones who thought theyd be shit but ended up loving it!
That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 5:22 pm

To be fair, that's what Neil says about them playing 'rock' festivals; a lot of people who expect to hate them end up loving them instead.

pineneedle

#13 Post by pineneedle » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 10:03 pm

according to someone on the latitude Forum "Sorry, but going to Latitude for 6 hours is just daft".

I don't know... that's how long we were there for (exactly one hour less than it took to drive there) and I think we saw everyingthing we needed to see (plus a few things we maybe didn't want to - thanks to the grim toilets that made Dour look like the Hilton), and most of the other best bits have been on R2/4 this week.

we did plan to have a weekend on the beach in Suffolk afterwards until the Belgian date came along, but given the weather in the UK I think it was a v good call to leave!

Max

#14 Post by Max » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 10:53 am

In fairness Pineneedle the going for 6 hours comment was aimed at the whinging guy who tried to fit an entire weekend experience into 6 hours, complaining that he couldn't get into the literary, poetry, comedy tents and moaning that they were only selling lager :? I'm sure your intention in 6 hours was mainly to see the boys and anything else you considered a bonus.

I was there for the whole weekend and had a great festival. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the responses on the Latitiude forum (some of you may recall that I had doubts about going because of the attitude of a lot of people on that particular forum). I'm really pleased I went and would certainly do Latitude again.

It was great on Saturday morning to overhear from a nearby tent, "weren't Pet Shop Boys f***ing amazing?"

I have to agree about the toilets - worst I've seen since my first festival 20 years ago. But to say that most of the other best bits have been on R2 and R4 is to miss out so many of the hidden gems that make up Latitude. The highlight for me was strolling back from seeing Maps on the Sunrise stage and stumbling across a small group singing round the piano by the lake ... one of whom was Mika (a thoroughly enjoyable 10 minutes, that you had to be there for).

Max

#15 Post by Max » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 11:03 am

territorygal wrote:http://forums.latitudefestival.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=68899

and I would guess that most of those who are still slagging them off didn't actually venture anywhere near the obelisk stage on Friday night.