Liverpool (13/07/09): Incl. Review by Dog

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
Dog

Liverpool (13/07/09): Incl. Review by Dog

#1 Post by Dog » Mon 13 Jul 2009, 11:10 pm

Great night in Liverpool. Same set, so no surprises there. The sound was brilliant... Maybe the best I've heard them in 20 shows. The arena was screened off half way, which I suspect would always have been the plan... Good atmosphere at the front... Crowd seemed to love it. This show really is them at their best.

There was a c*** up at the beginning when the lights dimmed but the intro didn't start. Instead there were random bursts of Heart. They soon sorted it, but it looked dodgy.

Things I noticed which I hadn't before:

Neil's lip-licking has reached new heights.
Chris throws one of the twins an apple in the middle eight of It's A Sin... She takes a bite and throws it into the crowd.
The twins are now much 'friendlier' with Neil and Chris, dancing round them, hands round shoulders, etc
Neil practically shouts It's A Sin, as in the T In The Park footage. Sounds great.
Did You See Me Coming? goes down really, really well.
Woof.

Drico One

Re: Liverpool review

#2 Post by Drico One » Mon 13 Jul 2009, 11:35 pm

Dog wrote: Things I noticed which I hadn't before:

Neil's lip-licking has reached new heights.
Yeah, it's so bad he could almost do an ad for Pepsi*.

Drico.

* Obscure late 1970s reference.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Patrick Bateman

Re: Liverpool (13/07/09): Incl. Review by Dog

#3 Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon 13 Jul 2009, 11:51 pm

You can see her chucking the apple into the crowd at the T in the Park gig. It's from about 8:20 onwards on the second clip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tinthepark/2009/ar ... shop_boys/

Boxy

#4 Post by Boxy » Mon 13 Jul 2009, 11:58 pm

Great show! I agree - the sound was FAR better that I heard at Manchester... Neil referenced the problem before they came onstage by saying something along the lines of "There was Pandemonium backstage before we came on..." or words to that effect ;-)

skyhigh

#5 Post by skyhigh » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 12:27 am

sound was great at t in the park too!
That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

incentive

#6 Post by incentive » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 12:38 am

Couldnt fault the lads tonight,first ever concert when ive been right at the front :dance: Even treated myself to a crazy priced orange hoodie on the way out.11/10 bloody great!

Denene

#7 Post by Denene » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 8:31 am

Fantastic night, we were right in front of Neil about 5 deep from the barriers, still enough room to dance around. I agree the sound was brilliant and the boys seemed to really enjoy themselves, Neil got the crowd to sing quite a few lines from "West End Girls". The crowd atmosphere was great, slightly less than at Manchester, confirmed by one of the sound engineers we met later who said that the Manchester crowd are always crazy! No balloons from the stage this time, the staff were quick to clear the building asap. We managed to find the entrance to the underground tunnel/parking area where we could see one of their tour buses but no other fans. We went for a wander up to the main entrance about 1115 and met a couple of Irish guys exiting who'd had VIP tickets but they said that had been organised by the arena and was nothing to do with PSB so they hadn't got to meet them. Then a couple of nice Japanese/Chinese? fans joined us and we all returned to the underground entrance. A security man said N&C had already left "a few mins ago in a BMW, yeah they went in that Mercedes that they came in". I picked up on his confusion about cars and was sure they were still in the building. The Irish men wandered off but the 4 of us remaining waited in hope. 5 minutes later a silver blacked out Mercedes drove into the underground carpark and a different security man was tannoying that the boys silver Merc had arrived. We then chatted to the sound engineer as mentioned, he said the glitch at the start of the show was one of those things that had never happened before and the computers had had to be rebooted. Finally, about 1205, the Mercedes swept up the ramp then slowed down where we were, sussing out whether to stop. Then the windows went down and Neil was behind the driver beckoning us round to his side! We all went round , got autographs and handshakes (didn't ask for a pic as thought it was too intrusive and there was a lady in the back of the car too, his Mum?) Anyway, got a few words, I asked if Chris would be coming out but Neil said he'd already left and the driver confirmed this, then we said goodbye and they were off. Fantastic end to a fantastic night, and now after a 2 hour drive home and 4 hours sleep I'm off to work soon but had to get this typed!

Dipso

#8 Post by Dipso » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 9:11 am

It was indeed a good night. The glitch at the beginning was quite comical - Heart blasting out in fits and starts. I was worried about the sound quality at first as Frankmusik's sound was quite dodgy, but it was fine for the Pets.

Dipso, in need of sleep
Prick up your ears.

Dipso

#9 Post by Dipso » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 2:47 pm

Liverpool Echo review:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -24148452/

SUMMER POPS REVIEW: Pet Shop Boys - ECHO Arena Liverpool
Jul 14 2009 Liverpool Echo

A WISE man once told me that if you can't whistle it, it's not music.

He's not far wrong. But I must admit, I was surprised to find myself whistling It's A Sin all the way home from last night's gig.

For all their electro credentials, Pet Shop Boys have pop in their hearts and some cracking tunes in that brimming back catalogue.

With sublime melodies and heavenly harmonies, the band came to the ECHO arena fresh from their Brit award for Outstanding Contribution to Music.

It was a welcome return for Chris Lowe – he studied architecture at the University of Liverpool in the late 70s, and still counts the Phil as his local. Neil Tennant is a fellow Scouseophile, citing the Tate as his favourite gallery.

It's easy to see the influence art has had on their work – particularly their stage set.

If I was being fanciful I'd say it was De Stijl as seen through Mondrian's eyes. But really, it was pure Tetris, with huge bricks in primary colours dominating the stage, and dancers with boxes on their heads. No, really.

For any other band, it would have been absurd, but for the princes of pop, somehow it worked.

Blasting through a high energy set, they played the songs everyone was there to hear.

Recent single Love Etc was a popular choice, but it wasn't until Go West that the crowd started to build up into a frenzy. Closely followed by their fantastic cover of Elvis's Always On My Mind. Add in Suburbia, and the fans were overjoyed.

But the band were clearly keen to save the best for last. After a cover of Coldplay's Viva La Vida they finished with a singalong version of It's A Sin – complete with glitter cannons.

For the en core they returned with Being Boring and West End Girls – clear crowd pleasers. And that was the thing that really took me by surprise.

For all their elaborate stage sets, Pet Shop Boys greatest skill is their superb melodies. The ones that I'm still humming on my way to work this morning...

8/10 Pop Art
Prick up your ears.

sneakythesnake

#10 Post by sneakythesnake » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 8:14 pm

I have to say that I enjoyed this show far more the the O2! Great crowd and certainly no complaints about the sound. Managed to get front row centre :mrgreen: Was worth waiting for 4 1/2 hours. I don't know how I managed to crawl back to my hotel last night!

Went to the Tate to see the Colour Chart exhibition this afternoon.There were a couple of works by Gerhard Richter

I'm actually at Liverpool airport waiting for my flight home.

Hmmm

#11 Post by Hmmm » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 9:25 pm

I would go along with the idea that the Liverpool show was better than the 02 in that the sound was better and I had a better view.
I noticed that "Chris throws one of the twins an apple in the middle eight of It's A Sin... She takes a bite and throws it into the crowd".This time did not see that at the 02 or missed it.
Also took a walk around the Tate liked the ballerina sculpture sculpted by Edgar Degas’ Little Dancer Aged Fourteen (1880-1), and the Pablo Picasso c*** 1932.

A great night and show thank you Liverpool oh not forgetting Neil and Chris :clap: .
They make a little go along way.. very Minimal but Fundamental.

joncool5

#13 Post by joncool5 » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 12:43 pm

I was stood at the front where Chris was and felt that the crowd were really disappointing apart from those stood up in the seating area to the left of the stage. This was in stark contrast to Manchester where the crowd seemed a lot more up for it. I still feel there are problems with the sound but other than that it was a fantastic performance.
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON