Cologne/Köln (24/06/09): Incl. Review by DominoDancing

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
DominoDancing

Cologne/Köln (24/06/09): Incl. Review by DominoDancing

#1 Post by DominoDancing » Wed 24 Jun 2009, 11:32 pm

I'm just back from the show at the Palladium in Cologne. Unfortunately I've got no photos to share, and since the setlist, stage setup etc. were identical to the previous shows, I'll just give my personal opinion of the evening.

The opening act, whose name I still don't know, since the singer didn't really talk that much, was okay, but a bit to mellow and samey for my taste. I also felt that they weren't a good fit for the Pets. At least they were better than the desaster I had to endure when I last saw them in 2006 in Bonn.
Starting out with More Than A Dream/Heart was great, and I felt the crowd was really getting into it. For some reason however, the mood dropped significantly during Did you see me coming??/Pandemonium/Love comes quickly...I guess "New Song/New Song/Very Minor Hit" was a bit too uneventful for the audience, who, during the whole concert, were rather quiet during anything but the big hits. I also thought that the mashup of Can You Forgive Her? and Pandemonium didn't work compared to some of the other mashups that were performed tonight. Building A Wall/Integral was an absolute high point and worked very well. It was also one of the few times that the stage setup was really used for anything good. Two Divided By Zero was awesome, even if the reaction of the crowd was rather restrained. Why Don't We Live Together didn't work as well, and the costumes, as funny as they were on the first sight, stopped the dancers from doing anything interesting. Always On My Mind got the response it usually gets, and then I got excited when Neil started singing Closer To Heaven only to be a bit disappointed that it was pretty much only one verse and chorus (yes, I know I should have been prepared for that). I didn't really like the version of Left To My Own Devices that followed, and the crowd reaction was not as good as I anticipated. Do I Have To and King's Cross were both wonderful, even though, again, the crowd didn't know how to react. The rest of the show flowed a lot better, and during The Way It Used To Be there finally was some good dancing. Viva La Vida worked perfectly, It's A Sin was as huge as it should be and the encore was great as well.

All in all it was a good show, but far from perfect, and I didn't like it as much as the show from the Fundamental tour I saw. First of all, the sound was horrible. The bass was very weak, while the lower mids very terribly muddy, and Neil's voice often disappeared behind the instruments. It also didn't really get better over the course of the concert, which really made me wonder if this actually was the sound they wanted.
The stage setup was okay, but underused. It actually only really came into play during Building A Wall and towards the end when the boxes were lifted into the air. The projections were good, but not great.
When I first read the setlist here I thought it was great, and I still think that the song selection was very good. The running order, however, was unfortunate in places. While I can understand pairing up Two Divided By Zero/Why Don't We Live Together and Do I Have To/King's Cross, the crowd really cooled down during these and a few other segments, which was bad for the atmosphere. Also, as fun as the mashups were for some of the more serious fans, I think that some of the casual fans were just confused, which further dampened the mood.

Well, all of this reads very negatively, which it shouldn't, since the concert was fun. But still, I think it was not as good as it could have been.

EDIT:
I should also add that the position from where I was watching, near the mixing board, wasn't perfect. I fully expect that the atmosphere was a lot better closer to the stage. I actually was surprised that when I arrived at the venue (about 20 minutes before the doors opened) the line was as long as it was. The last time I saw a show there (Amy McDonald), I arrived at about the same time and the were only about 10-20 people in front of me.

nickname

Re: Cologne (24/06/09)

#2 Post by nickname » Wed 24 Jun 2009, 11:43 pm

DominoDancing wrote:the sound was horrible. The bass was very weak, while the lower mids very terribly muddy, and Neil's voice often disappeared behind the instruments. It also didn't really get better over the course of the concert, which really made me wonder if this actually was the sound they wanted.

Everyone says the same thing. I don't know why they realize about it. I hope one day people tell them about it on twitter.

DominoDancing

#3 Post by DominoDancing » Wed 24 Jun 2009, 11:53 pm

nickname wrote:[
Everyone says the same thing. I don't know why they realize about it. I hope one day people tell them about it on twitter.
Re-reading the Manchester thread, people there complained that the bass was actually too loud and drowned out the vocals. I guess that we mean the same though, and I just don't know where the bass ends and the mids start ;). What I meant was that I couldn't "feel" the kick drum as I usually do at concerts.

TheGardner

#4 Post by TheGardner » Wed 24 Jun 2009, 11:58 pm

just from a pub two blocks from the paladium: was near the front row and it was pure fun.
Most of the people said the same about the sound, but I really thought it could be as bad as the people said before. But it wasn't ... or it maybe was better as on the gigs before. I was surprised but happy about a halfway good sound.

Greatings to Corinna and her friends. Nice to meet you lot from Romania!!!!
...tonight he's working in the midnight shift, arriving at ten
learning how slowly twelve can turn into seven AM...

D_V

Re: Cologne/Köln (24/06/09): Incl. Review by DominoDancing

#5 Post by D_V » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 12:14 am

Thanks for the review! Was it an all standing venue at the Palladium? Wanted to go there as well because it's only an hour drive from here (Venlo) but decided not to because they said there were no seats available and that would've been quite disastrous for my 84 year old mother who's a big fan.

:lol:

Lucy

#6 Post by Lucy » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 12:19 am

i really liked the can you forgive her/pandemonium mash up!! :shock:

DominoDancing

#7 Post by DominoDancing » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 12:37 am

D_V wrote:Thanks for the review! Was it an all standing venue at the Palladium? Wanted to go there as well because it's only an hour drive from here (Venlo) but decided not to because they said there were no seats available and that would've been quite disastrous for my 84 year old mother who's a big fan.

:lol:
Yes, it's an all standing venue, although I heard a couple standing next to me saying that there were chairs when a-ha played. I myself have seen quite a few concerts there, and it was always all standing.

Gothboy

#8 Post by Gothboy » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 2:57 pm

I think some fans are diehrds and some are just "Oh, I remember West End girls". I remember the Fundamental show in Boston it took 2/3rds of the show to get people up in their seats. I sat for "Psychological" and was on my feet the rest of the show.
Dymaxion Vehicle @ www.myspace.com/273476107

Pani

#9 Post by Pani » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 4:35 pm

TheGardner wrote:Greatings to Corinna and her friends. Nice to meet you lot from Romania!!!!
The same here, greetings from me, nicte to have met you ,
Corina!
I was surprised that I've been recognized by my eyes. :shock: :wink:

Nice to meet you again, Steffen!

I just got home. I travelled with a friend. For me, the show
was GREAT!

disco

#10 Post by disco » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 4:36 pm

Go to hell with your review.

DominoDancing

#11 Post by DominoDancing » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 5:38 pm

disco wrote:Go to hell with your review.
Err...okay? Would you mind actually contributing to the thread by explaining in what ways you disagree?

Hillbilly

#12 Post by Hillbilly » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 6:43 pm

DominoDancing wrote:All in all it was a good show, but far from perfect, and I didn't like it as much as the show from the Fundamental tour I saw. First of all, the sound was horrible. The bass was very weak, while the lower mids very terribly muddy, and Neil's voice often disappeared behind the instruments.
Now you say that the bass was "very weak", but I don't mind a weaker bass compared to how it sounded when I saw them in Sweden during the last tour. First song "Psychological", with its heavy bass line, went on and man it was LOUD! I've never heard a louder bass before or after that. Maybe it was mixed down later, but probably my damaged ears just got used to it a couple of songs in...

Corina

#13 Post by Corina » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 8:58 pm

DominoDancing, your review is sh*t. The athmosphere at the Palladium was fantastic and the crowd was enthusiastic. The sound was good during the Pets` performance and I was smashed of how good Neil`s voice sounds live. The bass was terrible only when the support act (otherwise not bad) was on stage, then it was OK.

About meeting the fans at the Cologne concert: I`m happy that I finally met Melanie (and her PSB fanatic friends!), Nikki, Pani and TheGardner. All this experience of meeting IRL people that I`ve been knowing only from the forums is a bit surrealistic, but not less pleasant. I saw Pani while we both were taking pictures of the queue in front of the Palladium and I recognized her in an instant, as I was remembering a picture of hers that she used as an avatar for a while. "Hi, Pani!" - "How did you recognize me?" - "From your eyes", and Pani was quite surprised, lol.

Steffen was there with a very happy and noisy group standing quite close to us (me, Mellie and Nikki). "Are you TheGardner?" - "Yes, I`m TheGardner" - funny and a bit surrealistic indeed. Sorry that I forgot to say to him thank you for this fine forum while being there - but I always forget the essential :)

Back to the show, the fantastic singer-dancers deserve a warm mention, as they add alot to the show - the choreography is spectacular, acrobatic and youthful.

So, I don`t regret all my effort and money spending that were necessary so that I can finally see my dear PSB live! Ah, and N & C liked the teddy-bears thrown by Mellie and me on stage!

Final (personal) conclusion: those who keep complaining about the PSB show on the current Pandemonium Tour are either sad w*nkers, or embittered b*tches :twisted:
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

DominoDancing

#14 Post by DominoDancing » Fri 26 Jun 2009, 1:42 am

Corina wrote:DominoDancing, your review is sh*t. The athmosphere at the Palladium was fantastic and the crowd was enthusiastic. The sound was good during the Pets` performance and I was smashed of how good Neil`s voice sounds live. The bass was terrible only when the support act (otherwise not bad) was on stage, then it was OK.

[snip]

Final (personal) conclusion: those who keep complaining about the PSB show on the current Pandemonium Tour are either sad w*nkers, or embittered b*tches :twisted:
I've read on another board that compared to some of the previous shows on the tour the atmosphere was actually very good. That doesn't change the fact that I have been to shows where the crowd was much more active. Hell, even the PSB show I saw in Bonn a few years ago seemed to get better reactions. As I said myself in the edit, these things can heavily depend on the position in the crowd. So if you felt it was fantastic, I'm very happy for you.
I definately won't budge on the sound issue though. Sound problems have been reported from most of the shows, and I've been to the Palladium often enough to know that it can be much better there. I really don't know why that makes me a sad wanker ;).

disco

#15 Post by disco » Fri 26 Jun 2009, 4:11 am

Corina wrote:DominoDancing, your review is sh*t. The athmosphere at the Palladium was fantastic and the crowd was enthusiastic. The sound was good during the Pets` performance and I was smashed of how good Neil`s voice sounds live. The bass was terrible only when the support act (otherwise not bad) was on stage, then it was OK.

About meeting the fans at the Cologne concert: I`m happy that I finally met Melanie (and her PSB fanatic friends!), Nikki, Pani and TheGardner. All this experience of meeting IRL people that I`ve been knowing only from the forums is a bit surrealistic, but not less pleasant. I saw Pani while we both were taking pictures of the queue in front of the Palladium and I recognized her in an instant, as I was remembering a picture of hers that she used as an avatar for a while. "Hi, Pani!" - "How did you recognize me?" - "From your eyes", and Pani was quite surprised, lol.

Steffen was there with a very happy and noisy group standing quite close to us (me, Mellie and Nikki). "Are you TheGardner?" - "Yes, I`m TheGardner" - funny and a bit surrealistic indeed. Sorry that I forgot to say to him thank you for this fine forum while being there - but I always forget the essential :)

Back to the show, the fantastic singer-dancers deserve a warm mention, as they add alot to the show - the choreography is spectacular, acrobatic and youthful.

So, I don`t regret all my effort and money spending that were necessary so that I can finally see my dear PSB live! Ah, and N & C liked the teddy-bears thrown by Mellie and me on stage!

Thanks darling =)