Cancelled Singles

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
Message
Author
Palpatine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#46 Post by Palpatine » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:53 am

Rorie wrote:
Frequency wrote:I suppose the original version of Go West was a canned single from 1992, I remember they were talked out of it, at the time, by the record company.
Yes, that counts. There was a promo cassette made in October of 1992 which included the b-sides.

http://www.psb-catalogue.com/gowestpic.htm

CDRX6332 - it even had a catalogue number assigned.
I think part of the reason it was canned is because PSB didn't want to be seen copying Erasure Abba EP by releasing a cover of a '70's disco tune.

User avatar
raggatwin
Posts: 3782
Joined: Thu 18 Dec 2003, 5:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#47 Post by raggatwin » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:58 am

Were Abba really Disco?

There is a brilliant unreleased 'hardcore'ish version of Go West.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Palpatine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#48 Post by Palpatine » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:03 am

raggatwin wrote:Were Abba really Disco?

There is a brilliant unreleased 'hardcore'ish version of Go West.
Is it the Mark Stent Allez a L'Ouest remix? If, so, you're absolutely right - it's *AMAZING*.

Eldritch
Posts: 4050
Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 9:24 am
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#49 Post by Eldritch » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

Palpatine wrote:
Rorie wrote:
Frequency wrote:I suppose the original version of Go West was a canned single from 1992, I remember they were talked out of it, at the time, by the record company.
Yes, that counts. There was a promo cassette made in October of 1992 which included the b-sides.

http://www.psb-catalogue.com/gowestpic.htm

CDRX6332 - it even had a catalogue number assigned.
I think part of the reason it was canned is because PSB didn't want to be seen copying Erasure Abba EP by releasing a cover of a '70's disco tune.
Well, that didn't stop them from releasing it a year later. I remember reading somewhere (Very booklet) that the main reason for releasing it would have been because Neil didn't want to break their track record of having a hit single every year since 1986. Some EMI boss then phoned him and explained that releasing the song now would be a waste, because there was no new PSB album to promote it. It was too good for a stop-gap. So Neil relented.
Click click drone

Palpatine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#50 Post by Palpatine » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:26 am

Yeah, but I think N&C and/or the record company thought that releasing it so soon after Abba-esque would have seemed really desperate. Also, in the Very FL booklet Neil said: " If we'd been a hundred per cent happy with it we would have gone ahead and released it anyway, but secretly between the two of us we weren't happy with the mix of it. So we thought, let's not do it. I now think the original twelve-inch, which has never been released, is pretty good." He's right, too, because the original 7" had that cheesy synth riff and didn't have the great ending.

User avatar
Posh Boy
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon 11 Jun 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#51 Post by Posh Boy » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:55 am

Undertaker wrote:Wasn't One more Chance meant to be a single as well? I know there is a 7 inch version. Maybe it was in America only. King's Cross another? Dropped after the disaster at King's Cross. I'm sure someone mentioned that on here.
I think the idea was to release One More Chance as the first Actually single. That would have been a weird choice.
"Your boring face I love it"

Palpatine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#52 Post by Palpatine » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:02 pm

Posh Boy wrote:
Undertaker wrote:Wasn't One more Chance meant to be a single as well? I know there is a 7 inch version. Maybe it was in America only. King's Cross another? Dropped after the disaster at King's Cross. I'm sure someone mentioned that on here.
I think the idea was to release One More Chance as the first Actually single. That would have been a weird choice.
No, Heart was originally planned as the first single from Actually. Neil from the Actually FL booklet:

But this (It's a Sin) wasn't going to be the first single from the album. 'Heart' was agreed to be the first single. It had 'You know where you went wrong' on the b-side and we'd done artwork for it with Chris and I smiling, because we were so sick of people saying 'please smile'. Then, one day, we were in Paris promoting 'Suburbia', the famous time we had to rehearse miming on the radio and we threw a major wobbler because it was so stupid. Anyway, Tom Watkins phoned up and said, 'Right, no one at EMI dares say this to you but everyone thinks you're mad not releasing "It's a sin" because it's easily the most commercial track on the album. I know you're not going to listen to anything I say but I think you should think about it.' So we did. We were going to use the same artwork, but Jill Carrington - who worked at EMI and later became our manager - said, 'No, it's stupid for "It's a sin".' So we did a new session with Eric Watson in a church in Spitalfields.

Eldritch
Posts: 4050
Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 9:24 am
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#53 Post by Eldritch » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:07 pm

Palpatine wrote:
Posh Boy wrote:
Undertaker wrote:Wasn't One more Chance meant to be a single as well? I know there is a 7 inch version. Maybe it was in America only. King's Cross another? Dropped after the disaster at King's Cross. I'm sure someone mentioned that on here.
I think the idea was to release One More Chance as the first Actually single. That would have been a weird choice.
No, Heart was originally planned as the first single from Actually. Neil from the Actually FL booklet:

But this (It's a Sin) wasn't going to be the first single from the album. 'Heart' was agreed to be the first single. It had 'You know where you went wrong' on the b-side and we'd done artwork for it with Chris and I smiling, because we were so sick of people saying 'please smile'. Then, one day, we were in Paris promoting 'Suburbia', the famous time we had to rehearse miming on the radio and we threw a major wobbler because it was so stupid. Anyway, Tom Watkins phoned up and said, 'Right, no one at EMI dares say this to you but everyone thinks you're mad not releasing "It's a sin" because it's easily the most commercial track on the album. I know you're not going to listen to anything I say but I think you should think about it.' So we did. We were going to use the same artwork, but Jill Carrington - who worked at EMI and later became our manager - said, 'No, it's stupid for "It's a sin".' So we did a new session with Eric Watson in a church in Spitalfields.
Which just goes to show that the artist is never the best judge of his own work. It's incredible that they failed to realize the enermous hit potential of It's A Sin. Actually I was gutted in 1988 when they decided to release Heart as the fourth single -- I thought that One More Chance or King's Cross would have been superior choices. ACtually I still think that way, but it's hard to argue against a #1 single.
Click click drone

User avatar
Radiophonic
Posts: 5000
Joined: Sun 29 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#54 Post by Radiophonic » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

Eldritch wrote: Which just goes to show that the artist is never the best judge of his own work. It's incredible that they failed to realize the enermous hit potential of It's A Sin. Actually I was gutted in 1988 when they decided to release Heart as the fourth single -- I thought that One More Chance or King's Cross would have been superior choices. ACtually I still think that way, but it's hard to argue against a #1 single.
I was disappointed Heart was chosen over One More Chance too. I'm not crazy over Heart anyway, but as you say who are we to judge, it got to no. 1.

If it were left to Pet Shop Boys Sinitta's mum would have sung It's A Sin and Hazel Dean would have released Heart anyway. Jesus Christ!
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Image

Palpatine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#55 Post by Palpatine » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm

One More Chance would have made a great single but I can understand why they rejected the original 7". The single version of One More Chance should have been an edit of the album version with the following differences from the orignal 7":

- The piano roll intro from the album version.
- The changed lyrics of the album version, i.e. in the second verse of the original 7" the line "I will never let say you baby baby please..." becomes "Chained framed you know what I mean push me in a corner and I'll scream". Much better!
- Replacing the end of the original 7", which is an insturmental repeat of the *AMAZING* middle eight, with the "I don't mind" fade of the album version.

I want to wake up would have made a great single, too.

Eldritch is spot on about artists not being the best judge of their own material, to wit:

- PSB wanted to release One and one make five and I Wouldn't Normally... as the lead singles from Very.
- They didn't include Shameless on Very or release it as a single because it took a long time to record and they thought the joke had worn thin.
- Neil wanted to release It always comes as a surprise and Drunk as the lead single from Bilingual and Nightlife, respectively.
- Neil thinks The Survivors would have made a great single.
- They both think Somewhere is ace.
- In Private w/ Elton. 'Nuff said!
- Numb and Winner.

User avatar
Posh Boy
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon 11 Jun 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#56 Post by Posh Boy » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

Palpatine wrote:
Posh Boy wrote:
Undertaker wrote:Wasn't One more Chance meant to be a single as well? I know there is a 7 inch version. Maybe it was in America only. King's Cross another? Dropped after the disaster at King's Cross. I'm sure someone mentioned that on here.
I think the idea was to release One More Chance as the first Actually single. That would have been a weird choice.
No, Heart was originally planned as the first single from Actually. Neil from the Actually FL booklet:

But this (It's a Sin) wasn't going to be the first single from the album. 'Heart' was agreed to be the first single. It had 'You know where you went wrong' on the b-side and we'd done artwork for it with Chris and I smiling, because we were so sick of people saying 'please smile'. Then, one day, we were in Paris promoting 'Suburbia', the famous time we had to rehearse miming on the radio and we threw a major wobbler because it was so stupid. Anyway, Tom Watkins phoned up and said, 'Right, no one at EMI dares say this to you but everyone thinks you're mad not releasing "It's a sin" because it's easily the most commercial track on the album. I know you're not going to listen to anything I say but I think you should think about it.' So we did. We were going to use the same artwork, but Jill Carrington - who worked at EMI and later became our manager - said, 'No, it's stupid for "It's a sin".' So we did a new session with Eric Watson in a church in Spitalfields.
Interesting. Strangely enough I had the 'In the Night' 7" in mind when I wrote the comment above. Which is not from Actually of course. Since this 7" had 'limited edition promotion-single' on it, do you think they were testing the water to release it commercially?
"Your boring face I love it"

Palpatine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#57 Post by Palpatine » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:44 pm

I'm not sure. TheGardner can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that EMI Germany wanted them to release In The Night in early 1987 to promote Disco, and that's why the Arthur Baker 7" and the two dubs were commissioned.

User avatar
tottenhammattspurs
Posts: 3047
Joined: Sat 04 Nov 2006, 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#58 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

Palpatine wrote:One More Chance would have made a great single but I can understand why they rejected the original 7". The single version of One More Chance should have been an edit of the album version with the following differences from the orignal 7":

- The piano roll intro from the album version.
- The changed lyrics of the album version, i.e. in the second verse of the original 7" the line "I will never let say you baby baby please..." becomes "Chained framed you know what I mean push me in a corner and I'll scream". Much better!
- Replacing the end of the original 7", which is an insturmental repeat of the *AMAZING* middle eight, with the "I don't mind" fade of the album version.

I want to wake up would have made a great single, too.

Eldritch is spot on about artists not being the best judge of their own material, to wit:

- PSB wanted to release One and one make five and I Wouldn't Normally... as the lead singles from Very.
- They didn't include Shameless on Very or release it as a single because it took a long time to record and they thought the joke had worn thin.
- Neil wanted to release It always comes as a surprise and Drunk as the lead single from Bilingual and Nightlife, respectively.
- Neil thinks The Survivors would have made a great single.
- They both think Somewhere is ace.
- In Private w/ Elton. 'Nuff said!
- Numb and Winner.
I agree with all of this except the Survivors quote. I Absolutely LOVE this track, still think it would have faired s l i g h t l y better than Liberation (as long as E-Smoove kept the hell away).
is is and isnt isnt

User avatar
Debussy
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 9:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#59 Post by Debussy » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:17 pm

I love this thread.

User avatar
TheGardner
Posts: 4332
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2003, 2:22 am
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#60 Post by TheGardner » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

Palpatine wrote:I'm not sure. TheGardner can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that EMI Germany wanted them to release In The Night in early 1987 to promote Disco, and that's why the Arthur Baker 7" and the two dubs were commissioned.
Think so too! At least we got this 7" promo in the end.
...tonight he's working in the midnight shift, arriving at ten
learning how slowly twelve can turn into seven AM...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests