Cancelled Singles

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
Inthedesert

Re: Cancelled Singles

#31 Post by Inthedesert » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:00 pm

very2000 wrote:Circa March '94, before the release of Liberation, I read on Teletext (remember that?!) how "One in a Million" was to be released as a single. I enquired about this at my local Andy's Records store (remember them?!) and the guy confirmed they weren't aware of the release, however I was the second person to ask about it that same day. Another single that never was.
On Simon Mayo's Radio 1 mid-morning show, they had a feature, after the 11.30am news update, called "11.33", where they played one acts 'classic' single, their current single and their next single. With PSB they played "I Wouldn't Normally...", as the current hit, followed by "One in a Million" as the next release.

I also remember reading in Music Week that 'A different point of view' and 'Young Offender' were possible future singles from Very, and I would have loved 'A different..." to be true. "I love you more than you love me" has never sounded so unadulteratedly joyous. Love that song!

Flaffer

#32 Post by Flaffer » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:49 pm

BigBois been quiet recently just btw.. Single wise from Very I think slow (ish) fourth single should have been Dreaming of the Queen followed by A Different...(Getting Away Mix)
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

BrilliantPSB

#33 Post by BrilliantPSB » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 4:58 am

"A Different Point Of View" is a great hi energy pop song. It should have been released as a single IMHO.
Same goes for SHAMELESS. Too mucn energy/production for a B-side.

The list is long, and it also includes "The Survivors". An incredible ignored PSB masterpiece.
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.

Nervously

#34 Post by Nervously » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:15 am

So that's what, three tracks left of Bilingual that weren't seriosuly considered as singles?

I agree that they released the right singles on Very, though the single mix of "Yesterday...." was a big let down.

In fact I think all their single choices were spot on till Bilingual, though "I want To Wake Up" screams "hit" if Actually could have sustained a fifth single.

Eldritch

#35 Post by Eldritch » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:31 am

Is To Speak Is A Sin the only song from Very that hasn't been considered as a single at some point?
Click click drone

mika

#36 Post by mika » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:52 am

Discoteca, It always comes as a surprise, To step aside, Saturday night , (The survivors -was that considered by EMI/PSB or a fan wishlist?) all possible single choices yet Bilingual failed commercially compared to the hugely succesful Very. The boys must have been surprised by the pretty poor reception of what they thought was a really strong album. Maybe EMI thought that too and tried to fix it with the re-release of the special edition. Does anyone know how many copies they managed to sell of the special edition? mika

Inthedesert

#37 Post by Inthedesert » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 11:29 am

I think 'King's Cross' may have been mooted as the 4th single from Actually, until the fire in the tube station that November 1987.

'I want to wake up' is one of my favourite PSB songs and a remixed version could easily have been a hit single, perhaps after 'Heart'. A 5th single from Actually was entirely conceivable. That, however, would have delayed Introspective, which I've always thought came a little too soon after Actually. Perhaps a longer break away would have been good, give people a PSB rest, but then if Introspective had been delayed until 1989, would it be so era-definingly spot on?

Inthedesert

#38 Post by Inthedesert » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

mika wrote:Discoteca, It always comes as a surprise, To step aside, Saturday night , (The survivors -was that considered by EMI/PSB or a fan wishlist?) all possible single choices yet Bilingual failed commercially compared to the hugely succesful Very. The boys must have been surprised by the pretty poor reception of what they thought was a really strong album. Maybe EMI thought that too and tried to fix it with the re-release of the special edition. Does anyone know how many copies they managed to sell of the special edition? mika
The week the repacked edition came out, the album re-entered the album chart around number 32. Maybe it contributed an extra 20,000 sales in total for Bilingual (over a period of time)

Paul

#39 Post by Paul » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm

Im sure Tonight is Forever was going to be the 2nd ? single from Please (as per the Eurotube pre performance interview with Muriel Gray)

Danimal

#40 Post by Danimal » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm

Pretty sure EMI US wanted "A different point of view" as a single as there was a sticker affixed to the CD stating " includes Can you forgive her and A different point of view."

Undertaker

#41 Post by Undertaker » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 4:23 pm

Wasn't One more Chance meant to be a single as well? I know there is a 7 inch version. Maybe it was in America only. King's Cross another? Dropped after the disaster at King's Cross. I'm sure someone mentioned that on here.

drunk14

#42 Post by drunk14 » Thu 16 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

Undertaker wrote:King's Cross another? Dropped after the disaster at King's Cross. I'm sure someone mentioned that on here.
I've heard second version - After accident, It was supposed to be a charity single, but they didn't want to make money on it.....however it sounds so un-pop.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Panbaams

#43 Post by Panbaams » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:12 am

Undertaker wrote:King's Cross another? Dropped after the disaster at King's Cross. I'm sure someone mentioned that on here.
Not sure it was ever planned as a single – rather, The Sun suggested it should be released as a charity single after the fire.

Rorie

#44 Post by Rorie » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:45 am

Frequency wrote:I suppose the original version of Go West was a canned single from 1992, I remember they were talked out of it, at the time, by the record company.
Yes, that counts. There was a promo cassette made in October of 1992 which included the b-sides.

http://www.psb-catalogue.com/gowestpic.htm

CDRX6332 - it even had a catalogue number assigned.

Rorie

#45 Post by Rorie » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:48 am

davenjulieuk wrote:Shame that "Winner" is not on this list !