Cancelled Singles

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
Message
Author
User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2422
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#16 Post by daveid » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:14 pm

Generic jingle (single edit)

User avatar
Pacific707
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue 31 Jan 2006, 12:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#17 Post by Pacific707 » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

e-mail has a radio edit im sure it was considered. btw its a great version

TallThinMan
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#18 Post by TallThinMan » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

Rorie wrote:London [UK release cancelled as EMI didn't want to be seen to be promoting violence in London - We were in London, Let's do it, Let's break the law]
This from the record company that signed the Sex Pistols! :wall:

User avatar
Drico One
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue 16 Sep 2003, 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#19 Post by Drico One » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:35 pm

very2000 wrote:Circa March '94, before the release of Liberation, I read on Teletext (remember that?!) how "One in a Million" was to be released as a single. I enquired about this at my local Andy's Records store (remember them?!) and the guy confirmed they weren't aware of the release, however I was the second person to ask about it that same day. Another single that never was.
Apparently, Chris vetoed a collaboration with Take That on this. Yes, the malevolent influence of Barlow has been felt for almost 20 years.

I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

User avatar
boyjohn
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed 18 Jan 2006, 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#20 Post by boyjohn » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:44 pm

Drico One wrote:
very2000 wrote:Circa March '94, before the release of Liberation, I read on Teletext (remember that?!) how "One in a Million" was to be released as a single. I enquired about this at my local Andy's Records store (remember them?!) and the guy confirmed they weren't aware of the release, however I was the second person to ask about it that same day. Another single that never was.
Apparently, Chris vetoed a collaboration with Take That on this. Yes, the malevolent influence of Barlow has been felt for almost 20 years.

I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.

Drico.
Liberation is one of their most beautiful songs, and they should be proud to have released it as a single.
“I don't want to believe. I want to know.”
-Carl Sagan

User avatar
davenjulieuk
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#21 Post by davenjulieuk » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

Shame that "Winner" is not on this list !
Miracles happen when you're around...

TallThinMan
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#22 Post by TallThinMan » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:30 pm

Drico One wrote:I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.
Would One In A Million have fared any better though? I like the song, but even in 1993 it was a bit Hi-NRG circa 1987. The chorus chord progression is even the same as the "Tell me..." bridge in Always On My Mind, albeit in a different key.

User avatar
Padster
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri 05 May 2006, 7:36 am
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#23 Post by Padster » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Drico One wrote:
very2000 wrote:Circa March '94, before the release of Liberation, I read on Teletext (remember that?!) how "One in a Million" was to be released as a single. I enquired about this at my local Andy's Records store (remember them?!) and the guy confirmed they weren't aware of the release, however I was the second person to ask about it that same day. Another single that never was.
Apparently, Chris vetoed a collaboration with Take That on this. Yes, the malevolent influence of Barlow has been felt for almost 20 years.

I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.

Drico.
Stop it you two.... Too many nostalgic remembrances !! Teletext, Andy's Records, and PSB on Radio 1, I'm feeling old now!! I still look back fondly at the days of single / album releases and going round HMV, Virgin, Our Price and last resort Andy's records or sometimes Music Zone. nowadays it's iPad in one hand, credit card in the other!!

Weren't 'Why don't we live together?' and 'One more Chance' going to be a singles at some point as well.

Kris
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat 08 Nov 2003, 12:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#24 Post by Kris » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

One And One Make Five was PSB's initial choice as the lead single from Very! Shudder. Thankfully no-one at record company agreed.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

User avatar
Drico One
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue 16 Sep 2003, 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#25 Post by Drico One » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:03 pm

TallThinMan wrote:
Drico One wrote:I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.
Would One In A Million have fared any better though? I like the song, but even in 1993 it was a bit Hi-NRG circa 1987. The chorus chord progression is even the same as the "Tell me..." bridge in Always On My Mind, albeit in a different key.
With Take That on board flashing their nipples, it would have been number one.

Liberation did quite well, really, considering its lack of thrills and spills. Two weeks at 14 was better than I thought it would manage. Dreaming of the Queen, The Theatre, and A Different Point Of View would have been better choices from my perspective - not that they were likely to do too much on the chart themselves, truth be told. I'd have preferred them because they were cooler or more exciting, or both. Liberation is nice, but it's a bit insipid.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

User avatar
Radiophonic
Posts: 5000
Joined: Sun 29 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#26 Post by Radiophonic » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

Basically every song from Very could have been a single. I'm sure they were all considered at one time or another but I was pleased with their final choices.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Image

User avatar
Undertaker
Posts: 8836
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 9:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#27 Post by Undertaker » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:24 pm

Maybe the video was responsible for the single, rather than the other way around. Most of the animation could have already been done and they needed a song that went best with it. I'd have also picked Dreaming of the Queen or The Theatre

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 8532
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#28 Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:43 pm

Whilst an argument can be made for several other candidates, I was always pretty happy with their single choices from Very. Single-Bilingual was the first single I wasn't overly enamoured with. It was a harbinger of things to come.

TallThinMan
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#29 Post by TallThinMan » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:58 pm

Drico One wrote:Liberation did quite well, really, considering its lack of thrills and spills. Two weeks at 14 was better than I thought it would manage. Dreaming of the Queen, The Theatre, and A Different Point Of View would have been better choices from my perspective - not that they were likely to do too much on the chart themselves, truth be told. I'd have preferred them because they were cooler or more exciting, or both. Liberation is nice, but it's a bit insipid.
Do you like A Different Point Of View? What do you think of the lyrics?

User avatar
Drico One
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue 16 Sep 2003, 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancelled Singles

#30 Post by Drico One » Wed 15 Aug 2012, 9:03 pm

It's infantile, but I always loved the energy. It's a frenetic storm - so you've no time to dwell on the flaws.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests