Totally Japanese Promo for Sale

For forum users to offer their items for sale, and also to share their wanted requests with other forum users.
Young Offender

Totally Japanese Promo for Sale

#1 Post by Young Offender »

Hi All,

I've owned a copy of this Rare Japanese Promo since about 1993. I saw it advertised around 1990 in Goldmine Magazine, About two years later the person who had bought that copy offered it for sale and I purchased it from him. It's the only time I've ever seen it twice for sale and coincidentally it was the same CD. So this thing is very rare.

I'm not sure what this would sell for but eil http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=53631 says it has sold before for £1,500+ pounds, and they've have had it for sale in total of four different times.

If anyone here is interested, please contact me via private message, I'd love for this to land in the hands of a collector.

I've met neil & chris a few times and hesitated having them autograph it, so I never got them to sign it, not sure if that would have increased or decreased the value of it.

Here are a couple of images and Text from eil's website, I can scan and send scans and photos of mine.

PET SHOP BOYS Totally (Rare and legendary 1988 Japanese promotional-only 11-track CD album - unquestionably one of their rarest titles, this unique compilation is the jewel of any PSB collection! This is one of those items you often hear about but hardly ever see. Housed in a superb custom black & white picture sleeve, taking its cue from the Introspective artwork. In the past these have changed hands for up to £1500...!).

Tracklisting / Additional Info:
1. Domino Dancing - Single Version 4:18
2. I'm Not Scared 7:23
3. West End Girls 4:46
4. Opportunities 3:44
5. It's A Sin 4:59
6. What Have I Done To Deserve This 4:22
7. Rent 5:08
8. Left To My Own Devices 8:07
9. I Want A Dog 6:24
10. It's Alright 9:22
11. Always On My Mind/In My House 9:03

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON 'TOTALLY'

Pet Shop Boys 'Totally' - it could be an official album title in its own right, fitting as it does with all their previously titled releases. This time, however, the name was reserved for a unique Japanese-only promotional compilation. 1988 was the first time the Japanese had produced a promo-only CD for the Pet Shop Boys, having previously created the superb 1997 'Now Playing' vinyl LP, which compiled tracks from Please and Actually.

The sleeve gives the game away as to why they made 'Totally'. It features the Mark Farrow designed Introspective artwork, but monochromatically. In other words it's black and white - well, actually it's varying tones of grey, with a large black & white 'PET SHOP BOYS Totally' title emblazoned across the sleeve, front and centre! The back insert is pretty functional, displaying the track listing and times, with all other relevant information printed in Japanese. Typically for a Japanese insert the track listing features one small error; Opportunities is listed as Opprtunities.

Not only is this their first Japanese promo CD, it's also their rarest. Many fan sites report that there were only 35 copies of this little gem made - and being over 18 years old it means there aren't many to go around amongst the tens of thousands of die-hard PSB collectors. We have no confirmation either way on the actual quantity produced, but we rarely find them for sale - this is only the fourth time we've been able to offer one - so at a rate of 1 every 4 years it's undoubtedly pretty scarce. The only CD that's genuinely rarer than this is the 'PSB Compiled' Radio 1 competition prize Abbey Road CD-R; there are just 20 of those.

So, this CD is legendary. Even if it's not top of your personal Wants list, it's usually top of most discographies for rarity and desirability, and it paved the way for the subsequent Japanese promo-only collectables. Their other titles, In Depth, Sales Sampler, Promotion, Special '96 and Special '99 are all fantastic titles but this one best captures the spirit of Neil & Chris's unique titling sequence. Do you need to have this in your collection? …Totally!

Availability: Currently Unavailable - You can request the next copy of this item
Year of Release: 1988 - 22 years old
Artist: Pet Shop Boys (click here for complete listing)
Title: Totally (click here for more of the same title)
Postage/Shipping: Add item to your basket for a postage/shipping quote
Format: CD ALBUM

Record Label: E.M.I.
Catalogue No: SPCD1035
Country of Origin: Japan [Comes from 'JAPAN']
Language: Regardless of country of origin all tracks are sung in English, unless otherwise stated in our description.
Additional info: Promo
Deleted
Condition : All items are at least excellent condition unless we state otherwise so please read our descriptions carefully. We try to source items as close to Mint condition as possible, many will indeed be unplayed and as close to new as you could hope to find. Others may be 'used', however, all will meet our strict grading and are 100% guaranteed.
EIL.COM Ref No PSBCDTO53631 (quote this reference in any e-mails, letters, faxes or phone calls to help identify this item)
Genres: 80's Pop, 90's Pop, POP

joncool5

Re: Totally Japanese Promo for Sale

#2 Post by joncool5 »

Nice item although you can half whatever Esprit charges.