Brits 2006

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
i probably would

Brits 2006

#1 Post by i probably would »

I know this has been discussed on previous occasions but do you think it would be good timing for the boys to recive the outsanding achivement award? It may be perfect timing with the new album coming out and might shift some extra tickets for the tour. Both Neil and Chris have been quoted in the past saying they have turned it down but I think it would be good for them. Also it's long overdue!

bookshopboy

#2 Post by bookshopboy »

Didn't they turn it down last time?

Flaffer

#3 Post by Flaffer »

hopefully they would turn it down, winning the award hardly shifted loads of copies
of Duran Durans astronaut but the tour did seem to do well, I don't think PSBs' have that same level of nostalgia felt for them
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

i probably would

#4 Post by i probably would »

Yes they did turn it down and you are right about Duran Duran. I just feel that people need reminding how fantastic psb are and this might be a good way of doing it - I know they've turned it down and all that but if EMI got behind them and got them loads of exposure it might just work. They could do a duet with Robbie Williams. One with Kylie - singing what have i done to deserve this and then leave the boys to play a medley of their finest work. 20 minute set at the end with lasers and a massive light show - bit like sound of the atom splitting from the 89 tour! Sorry getting a bit carried away!

madhatter88

#5 Post by madhatter88 »

Given that they have sold out in every possible way over the last few years, it wouldn't surprise me to see them change their mind and accept this award. It might have been more useful around the launch of PopArt though.

bookshopboy

#6 Post by bookshopboy »

I'm sure Chris (?) said in Q Magazine (?) that they turned down the Brits 2005 award because there were too many strings attached to winning the prize. Maybe with an album due out very shortly after the February awards, they might change their mind and accept it.

i probably would

#7 Post by i probably would »

Good point - I believe that the boys have sold out as the reason I liked them at first is that they were so cool. Only did what they wanted - didn't tour for ages and I remember all PSB fans had an attitude and it was cool to like them. I love them and I always will but the LIVE8 gig really shocked me - how can you expect to be taken seriously - Great cause but it was NEVER the sort of thing they would do. I remember when they were on the Des and Mel show - the auidence cant have been under 60! I know popstars have to do these things but not the boys! Here's to a great 2006 top 10 album - 3 singles will be released - 1st one top 5 and the other 2 will make the top 10 cos we will always buy what they release. Remixes DVD's the lot. I am now 33 and I still look forward to new singles/albums as much as I did back in the 80's. We just need to spread the word of the mighty PSB! By the way my wife thinks I should grow up!

Technotrancemix

#8 Post by Technotrancemix »

Is there still a ruling for not being able to issue the same format with different sleeves like there was for West End girls 12"? (3 for standard 12", 3 for remix 12")

Perhaps something like this but for CD's may work, ie have a jewel cased CD, a card sleeved CD, and digipack CD for CD1, same for CD2, 3, 4.... so that die-hards can purchase all 3 formats of each CD and gaurentee a top10 placing.

psb-freak

#9 Post by psb-freak »

They gotta accept the award. I think they show Brith on finnish tv, so another good reason for that. :lol:
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

joe stalin

#10 Post by joe stalin »

i hope they do accept it. Seems a shame that they've received so little recognition for what they've done. Will probably have to wait until they kick the bucket for their rightful place in the all time greats. Sure some people think that's kinda cool (eg Kurt Cobain) but to me that's just pathetic.

madhatter88

#11 Post by madhatter88 »

Actually I've always thought PSB have been very well thought of within the music industry and they seem to get a fair deal from the media as well. It's the public that has trouble considering them amongst the music greats.

Janet Street-Porter

#12 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

They will never get the credit they're due. They are too pop, too gay and too clever by half.

madhatter88

#13 Post by madhatter88 »

Janet Street-Porter wrote: They are too pop, too gay and too clever by half.
Spot on!

Technotrancemix

#14 Post by Technotrancemix »

I think that a double A-side might even help. A really well composed song and a tacky appealing song for schoolkids and chavs.

joncool5

#15 Post by joncool5 »

They should accept it, could prove the doubters wrong. What I've never understood is why people think they are Gay Disco when they've released beautiful songs like Being Boring and Rent (forget NYC Boy and Go West).
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON