PSB on radio 1

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jamie1978

PSB on radio 1

#1 Post by jamie1978 »

For some reason, Its a Sin has just been played on Radio 1.

I've no idea why - can anyone elaborate?

Native

#2 Post by Native »

Well, I think with regard timing it will have been during the Scott Mills show. He is historically a bit of a PSB fan. Could have been twice in a day, as Chris Moyles said he was gonna play PSB this morning in his Golden Hour section, but he ran out of time!

shamelessbehave

#3 Post by shamelessbehave »

"It´s a Sin" is sometimes played as well as "Domino Dancing" here http://www.m80radio.com/ in Spain :wink:
http://www.myspace.com/shamelesssilvia

"It´s fundamental that we do only exist in our own universe. When you like Pet Shop Boys, you are in our world. This is absolutely crucial to our entire outlook...what we do has an incredibly strong identity and applies only to us. It´s a case of not recognising the existence of anybody else!". Neil Tennant.

greenmile

#4 Post by greenmile »

PSB were played twice in about 3 hours on Irish 2FM one day last week. "In private" was first, followed a couple of hours later by "What have I..."

Obviously the software that decides the playlists threw a wobbly.

Flaffer

#5 Post by Flaffer »

Domino Dancing was played on Wave Isle of Wight radio this afternoon
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Very

#6 Post by Very »

Here in Romania the most played PSB songs are Always on my mind and Domino Dancing.
Madrid / Bucharest 2007

shaunh7

Re: PSB on radio 1

#7 Post by shaunh7 »

jamie1978 wrote:For some reason, Its a Sin has just been played on Radio 1.

I've no idea why - can anyone elaborate?
Scott Mills was playing his favourite 80's summer songs, it was just like the good old days, great records on radio 1 :D

psb-freak

#8 Post by psb-freak »

Go West was on radio some weeks ago. And It´s a sin was being played this week.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

transforce

#9 Post by transforce »

I think what Jamie was saying was that Radio 1 officially "don't play Pet Shop boys" anymore. New releases are NEVER on their playlists. Miracles made the Radio 2 playlist, but Radio 1 is the main commercial station. They are not interested in promoting PSB anymore (the **$%!*$"!).

jamie1978

#10 Post by jamie1978 »

transforce wrote:I think what Jamie was saying was that Radio 1 officially "don't play Pet Shop boys" anymore. New releases are NEVER on their playlists. Miracles made the Radio 2 playlist, but Radio 1 is the main commercial station. They are not interested in promoting PSB anymore (the **$%!*$"!).
Actually, Radio 2 is now the main 'commercial' station (if it can be so called as a public service broadcaster).

They have 14 million listeners compared to 9 million on Radio 1.

They overtook Radio 1 in the ratings about 10 years ago and have been gaining in popularity ever since, especially as the Radio 1 'old guard' such as Mark Goodier and Steve Wright joined.

As far as exposure to an album-buying public is concerned, Radio 2 is where the music industry want to be playlisted. The success of Damian Rice's 'O' album, for example, can largely be put down to Radio 2's love affair of it.

BlueSwan

#11 Post by BlueSwan »

In Denmark lots of the earlier PSB stuff still gets played. I'd say particularly Always On My Mind and West End Girls. I rarely ever hear It's A Sin, though. I hear Heart and Domino Dancing more than It's A Sin.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

shamelessboyuk

#12 Post by shamelessboyuk »

Native wrote:Well, I think with regard timing it will have been during the Scott Mills show. He is historically a bit of a PSB fan. Could have been twice in a day, as Chris Moyles said he was gonna play PSB this morning in his Golden Hour section, but he ran out of time!
They played the Mark Stent 1992 version of 'Go west' on the revived Golden Hour a couple of Fridays back - it can't be often that get's an airing!
Mr Moyles must have had his NOW 1993 handy that day :)

Janet Street-Porter

#13 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

shamelessboyuk wrote:Mr Moyles must have had his NOW 1993 handy that day :)
It probably fell out from between his rolls of fat.

dVTB

#14 Post by dVTB »

Dutch Radio 3FM has recently become a bit more PSB-friendly again. West End Girls and It's A Sin get the most airplay. Recently I also heard Domino Dancing. Other PSB tracks that still get some airplay in the Netherlands are Suburbia, Always On My Mind and Go West.

Avalon

#15 Post by Avalon »

During my holidays I heard PSB on the radio all the time one week. Not being able to check out this highly-informative forum, I was convinced either Neil or Chris had died. Or both, of course