What kind of single would you choose for the first single?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

What kind of single would you choose for the first single?

#1 Post by Nickname »

Looking for a new single for the forthcoming album. What kind of single would you choose for the first single? (supposing it's the main single of the new album). For example: a dance song, a electro song with orchestral arregments, a baroque sound, an hym like go west, a pop song....

And another question: would you like the first single was the main single of the album (ej: It's a sin) or the second one (ej: Go West)?.

shaunh7

#2 Post by shaunh7 »

The best one, that may sound stupid but the single releases from the last few albums have been poor choices.

glennjridge

#3 Post by glennjridge »

well,lets face it. everyone in this forum will certainly complain if it is anything other than what people here refer to as "a stomper"

delusions

#4 Post by delusions »

A dance song :lol:

Very

#5 Post by Very »

The best or the second best song from the album. Or let's say "Paninaro '06"! (Pet Shop Boys challenged themselves once and they won. Paninaro '95 was definitely better than Paninaro '86. Not only better, I would say one of their top 10 hit. Can they do it again? They did it with covers too; their covers were much better than the original songs: Go West, Always on my mind, Where the streets have no name)

Nickname

Re: What kind of single would you choose for the first singl

#6 Post by Nickname »

nickname wrote:Looking for a new single for the forthcoming album. What kind of single would you choose for the first single? (supposing it's the main single of the new album). For example: a dance song, a electro song with orchestral arregments, a baroque sound, an hym like go west, a pop song....

And another question: would you like the first single was the main single of the album (ej: It's a sin) or the second one (ej: Go West)?.
Please, don't make jokes about it . Probably, Neil and Chris could learn how to choose the right single this time. :wink: Ok, I am joking too but I would prefer real anwers to these questions.

shaunh7

#7 Post by shaunh7 »

It's hard to say without hearing the album, it may sound obvious but the most commercial song will be released,I'd love to hear something with a bit of edge.
No guitars, something that's a natural progression from disco 3.

Technotrancemix

#8 Post by Technotrancemix »

A new version of In The Night is due about now anyway. Perhaps as a double A-side..?

Naughty Zoot

#9 Post by Naughty Zoot »

I would suggest - an up-tempo number with a catchy hook, quirky lyrics, an open to interpretation title & a late 80s / early 90s production sound.
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

glennjridge

#10 Post by glennjridge »

just as long as they dont go back to that 80's drum sound.I like the little drumkit sounds they have been using as of late on uptempo numbers.

psb-freak

#11 Post by psb-freak »

Chris should sing on it. :D
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Pani

#12 Post by Pani »

psb-freak wrote:Chris should sing on it. :D
It would without doubt be a 'cool'
one or something but it wouldn't
be a proper single release by PSB
for 'the market' imho.

Nickname

#13 Post by Nickname »

Please answer both questions:

1)What kind of single would you choose for the first single? (supposing it's the main single of the new album). For example: a dance song, a electro song with orchestral arregments, a baroque sound, an hym like go west, a pop song....

2)And another question: would you like the first single was the main single of the album (ej: It's a sin) or the second one (ej: Go West)?.

joncool5

#14 Post by joncool5 »

I'd like a edgy electronic song that isn't over-produced and think the first single is the most important so go with the song that has the best chance of making an impact. Saying that, I'm not sure it really matters as regardless of the quality of song it is likely to end up 10-15 in the first week!!!
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

glennjridge

#15 Post by glennjridge »

the PSB should see what they think the best song from their new CD is, and what the weakest is. and then they should release the weak one as the single.

it makes sense seeing they dont seem to think they ever pick the right singles.