Who likes Potemkin without PSB ?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
yves

Who likes Potemkin without PSB ?

#1 Post by yves » Sat 25 Jun 2005, 1:35 pm

I go to see Potemkin 3 september in Bonn. I have seen the original film without PSB but find it a little boring. I think the film gets a new dimension with PSB-score.

My questions :

1) Who likes Potemkin without PSB ?

2) When you stay close with the boys at the Potemkin-gigs, CAN YOU SEE
THE FILM ON THE SCREEN ?

Thanks,

Yves
This must be the place I waited years to leave

gareth

#2 Post by gareth » Sat 25 Jun 2005, 2:46 pm

I studied the film as part of my Russian History course many moons ago and set in the historical context it's a great piece of work - indeed it's a great piece of work anyway.

The score and performance added masses though and yes, the film was broadcast on a big screen above the stage.

G
Last edited by gareth on Sat 25 Jun 2005, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furious angels will bring you back to me

Nickname

#3 Post by Nickname » Sat 25 Jun 2005, 3:17 pm

The film will be broadcasted in the second channel of the Spanish TV. Of course, the PSB soundtrack won't be included.

Sjòn

#4 Post by Sjòn » Sat 25 Jun 2005, 6:05 pm

nickname wrote:The film will be broadcasted in the second channel of the Spanish TV. Of course, the PSB soundtrack won't be included.

This will happen tonight.

Bulldog

#5 Post by Bulldog » Sat 25 Jun 2005, 6:24 pm

Well in Italy this movie has a rather bad reputation. Italian comedian Paolo Villaggio became very popular in the sixties playing the character of Fantozzi, a Gogol-like nerdy employee, eternally oppressed by a terrible work and surrounded by bizarre, tacky people. In a movie he made in 1975 the factory he works in imposes to the workers a routine of cineclubs screenings on every Saturday night. Needless to say, projections are a matter of alienating mute classics, deadly boring, including "Potemkin". A constant feature is the "discussion" after-movie, in which Fantozzi is constantly victim of humiliations and threats. In one occasion he's forced to see the whole Potemkin sitting over a bunch of chick peas. So as the anger is rising, he ends up showing his feelings in a particular occasion. He takes the word and literally shouts "per me la Corazzata Potemkin...è una cagata pazzesca!", which means: "To me..Battleship Potemkin...is an absolute b*****ck!".
This causes a riot and after three days of occupation by the workers, with the cinephiles constricted to watch non-stop trashy italian movies, they surrender and as a punishment, ever since then all of them have to re-shoot the Odessa scene every saturday afternoon...

transforce

#6 Post by transforce » Sat 25 Jun 2005, 6:57 pm

I have to say, on it's own, the film isn't my cup of tea. however in the middle of Trafalgar Square in the pouring rain with PSB playing live, it's something else. Especially the rain - AT MOS PHERE.

shamelessbehave

#7 Post by shamelessbehave » Sat 25 Jun 2005, 9:17 pm

1) I don´t like Potemkin without PSB.

2) It´s not that I can see the film on the screen, it´s that if Neil is there, my eyes are there, on him, and nothing else matters then (well yes, looking at Chris too). :wink:
http://www.myspace.com/shamelesssilvia

"It´s fundamental that we do only exist in our own universe. When you like Pet Shop Boys, you are in our world. This is absolutely crucial to our entire outlook...what we do has an incredibly strong identity and applies only to us. It´s a case of not recognising the existence of anybody else!". Neil Tennant.

yves

#8 Post by yves » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 11:14 am

shamelessbehave wrote: It´s not that I can see the film on the screen, it´s that if Neil is there, my eyes are there, on him, and nothing else matters then (well yes, looking at Chris too). :wink:

Hi shameless !!!

Me too !!! That's the reason why I look to the film before. Only for the Odessa scene, I will look to the screen for the sublime synchronization between the music and images.
This must be the place I waited years to leave

Nickname

Re: Who likes Potemkin without PSB ?

#9 Post by Nickname » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 1:46 pm

yves wrote:I go to see Potemkin 3 september in Bonn. I have seen the original film without PSB but find it a little boring. I think the film gets a new dimension with PSB-score.

My questions :

1) Who likes Potemkin without PSB ?

2) When you stay close with the boys at the Potemkin-gigs, CAN YOU SEE
THE FILM ON THE SCREEN ?

Thanks,

Yves
I don't like Potemkin (With o without PSB) but I haven't been in the concerts.

Janet Street-Porter

#10 Post by Janet Street-Porter » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 2:06 pm

I've always thought that Citizen Kane could have done with One in a million sleds playing during the deathbed scene.

joncool5

#11 Post by joncool5 » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 3:56 pm

I'm interested in Soviet imagery and so I like the film, although obviously it's better with a PSB soundtrack behind it :wink:
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Undertaker

#12 Post by Undertaker » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 4:09 pm

The original film i'd fine dire. I know thats ignorant. Obviously, with a PSB soundtrack i'm interested in the music and will be buying it.

When it's released, is the film also included with the soundtrack cd?

Dave

Zeus On The Loose

#13 Post by Zeus On The Loose » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 4:32 pm

I don't understand how one can like or dislike Battleship Potempkin. It's a piece of film and world history. It's just there.
Does cameos only.

Vince

#14 Post by Vince » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 6:20 pm

Potemkin? Whats that? :roll:
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

Debussy

#15 Post by Debussy » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 10:50 pm

The Potemkin film is being screened here in Auckland, NZ as part of the annual film festival with live accompaniment from the NZ Symphony Orchestra. I wondered if they were riding on the re-release / PSB thing or just decided to screen it because its a classic?
I'll probably go to see it as I doubt I'll ever see the PSB performance.