PSB mentioned in Al Stewart's new album review

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
boozik

PSB mentioned in Al Stewart's new album review

#1 Post by boozik »

From the Daily Telegraph:

Al Stewart / A Beach Full Of Shells (EMI)
After a decade of indifference, British folkie Al Stewart finally cracked the US charts with Year of the Cat in 1976. Ever since he has mined a unique seam of fey-voiced literary songs, intelligent,poetic and slightly foppish. It comes as no surprise to learn that he is also a Master of Wine..

Stewart's new album, released in the year of his 60th birthday, takes in subject matter that ranges from Victorian 'nonsense' poet Edward Lear to a tricky air display called The Immelman Turn. Whilst the instrumentatio is mostly simple acoustic guitar and strings, he imbues every number with a perky poignancy and, more importantly a nifty tune.

He wallows in the pathos of longing for bygone times, whether Edwardian England (My Egyptian Couch) or 1960's London (Gina in the King's Road)in a voice fired with the same reedy melancholy as the Pet Shop Boys' best moments. Stewart's songs ,however, are filtered through the weightier narrative traditions of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen resulting in a sprightly album by a songwriter still at the peak of his powers.

-----

and may I add: I'm an AS fan for years, and this album is his best in years.
Thank you for choosing boozik.

glennjridge

#2 Post by glennjridge »

I am a HUGE al stewart fan. al stewart and neil sound almost exactly alike. I became a fan of his music when someone else also said they sounded alike so I decided to download a couple tracks on itunes to see."end of the day" and the flying sorcerer" are 2 of my favories. just about to download his new CD now there.I already love mona lisa talking.

boozik

#3 Post by boozik »

:clap:
Thank you for choosing boozik.