Live 8

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jamie1978

#136 Post by jamie1978 »

bookshopboy wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:The global premiere of a new Madonna single is hardly the same thing!
It is exactly the same thing but on a smaller scale. If PSB decide to play something new, I'm sure it will be only one new song and (if the rumours are true) it will probably be "No time for tears".
In the London concert (which I'm pleased to be attending), each performer is limited to 20 minutes due to the quanity and quality of acts playing and the limited time available. Much like the original Live Aid I guess.

In Moscow, Pet Shop Boys are the only succesful international group playing, so there will be more airtime available for them, though, granted, still less than your average performance.

NTFT has not even been officially confirmed as a single yet. What would be the point of performing it on a time-limited set when the OST isnt even due out until September? Its not going to achieve anything, the crowd wont react, it will be a counter-productive move. Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe are many things, but completely stupid isnt one of them.

I think people need to get real about this. Its going to be a greatest hits set. Exclude Madonna if you must, but thats what every other artist will be doing, out of respect for the event if nothing else. No-one wants an unenthusiastic, bored crowd. This isnt a difficult concept to grasp!

Zeus On The Loose

#137 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Undertaker wrote:
Zeus On The Loose wrote:Just goes to show I was right when I said thay hadn't been asked!
You would have been, if they have decided to gate crash Red Square but unfortunatly, they have been asked to perform.So mister, you were wrong! :twisted:

Dave
They were asked to perform in Moscow at the last minute -it was only announced 5 days before the event- among tons of local acts.
Does cameos only.

Zeus On The Loose

#138 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

dVTB wrote:I just wish to say hi to all the negativists in this thread, who claimed PSB would never be asked to perform on Live8. How are you guys, enjoying the nice weather today? :D :wink:

It's good to see PSB in! Apparently some people thought that PSB are worthy enough to headline one of the stages, which is -of course- great news. It will also give Neil & Chris the chance to perform some of the Potemkin stuff live in Russia :) I bet they will play 'No Time For Tears' and 'After All'... 8)
Erm, the discussion had been about Live8 in London and some people's assumptions that PSB had been asked to perform there and had declined either out of principle or because of the promoter.

They were not asked and won't be performing there.

Headlining a free concert which is going to have minimal coverage among tons of local acts noone outside Russia has heard of. Yes, big honour, that...It may as well start a PSB commerical comeback of unprecedent proportions.

Fab weather though :P
Last edited by Zeus On The Loose on Tue 28 Jun 2005, 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Does cameos only.

bookshopboy

#139 Post by bookshopboy »

I don't know if PSB will play anything new and I don't care because I'm not going to be there. If (and that's IF) they do decide to play something new, it will probably be NTFT - but only if it is true that it'll be the next single.

There is still 2 months until the single is supposedly being released, so they don't have to officially announce it for ages....

andmaste

#140 Post by andmaste »

... anyway, I (as a PSB fan) am very happy to know they will be on stage for Live8.
How many famous singers/groups have NOT been invited?
It's good, after 20-years-carreer, to know they are still a neme in the music business.

To be honest, the Russian event will NOT have much airplay, but I think some highlights of PSB performance will be broadcasted, and it will be included on the final DVD of the whole event.

I am proud of my dear old Boys.
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it

Nickname

#141 Post by Nickname »

According to the official website, a new confirmation:
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L28425516.htm

Flaffer

#142 Post by Flaffer »

jamie1978 wrote:Its not supposed to be self-serving
of course it's bloody not (theoretically), but that doesn't mean certain acts won't squeeze every last drop of publicity out of it.
Last edited by Flaffer on Tue 28 Jun 2005, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Zeus On The Loose

#143 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

It's totally self-serving. What's the purpose of it since it's not going to even raise money, like Live Aid did. Put pressure on Bush and co? Yeah...Bush will be convinced to do whatever because Coldplay will play a free live show in London... :roll:
Does cameos only.

Native

#144 Post by Native »

moscow city boy

#145 Post by moscow city boy »

jamie1978

#146 Post by jamie1978 »

What a great photograph! Did you just take that?

Pani

#147 Post by Pani »

jamie1978 wrote:What a great photograph!
It is. Thx. for posting.

Undertaker

#148 Post by Undertaker »

jamie1978 wrote: What a great photograph! Did you just take that?
It's too good. It's a photo that makes you really want to be there and part of it. Ahh well. We will just have to put up with music star David Beckham and squarking Mariah Carey.

Dave

Basil

#149 Post by Basil »

jamie1978 wrote:
http://psb.netka.ru/02PSB_Banner_Tverskaya.jpg

What a great photograph! Did you just take that?
This photo was taken by me (Basil) today at 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya street in Moscow centre :wink:

Janet Street-Porter

#150 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

I want to know more about the cow parade.