Audience applause/acclaim effects in studio tracks

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: Audience applause/acclaim effects in studio tracks

#16 Post by Greendrake »

Agree that the effect fits very well on Music for boys. Agree that it doesn't necessarily do so on What keeps mankind alive?, That's my impression and Groovy — they could live without it. Agree that the applause on The competition and The winner is integral part of the ballet narrative. So it is on The dictator decides — where it is not even the euphoric cheering of excited crowd but rather dominated/coerced cheering, part of the protocol which, if not followed, may make some of the crowd hear firm voice of gun point.
Gabby wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:09 pmwhat about the fake vinyl crackle on tracks? Off the top of my head I can't think of any PSB tracks that use it
Bright young things (studio version — Numb B-side, not the demo) uses it. But that's not applause so is a separate topic.

TwizzleUK

Re: Audience applause/acclaim effects in studio tracks

#17 Post by TwizzleUK »

TallThinMan wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:56 pm It’s a euphoric moment on the single version of It’s Alright; perfectly placed.
Plus the single release was timed with their first tour in 1989 (the programme shared the cover art photos, if I recall). I always assumed the crowd noise in the single mix was a slight nod to the upcoming tour.